I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  The bad and the good!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The bad and the good!  (Read 2694 times)
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« on: November 20, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »

My fistula/arm whatever infiltrated again. It's the stupid fistula's fault. It's really narrow, and the venous pressures were weird today, so they were adjusting it, and boom. Infiltration. I had the angioplasty, but they only worked on the arterial! UGHHH. My arm hurts so bad.

Other than that, I love my new center! They're really nice, and they actually use numbing spray on it! It still hurts a tad, but so much better than without it. I don't like the chairs though, because the nurses have to put the chairs back for you. I don't like to bother them. I have my own TV! Yay. These three hours go by so fast now!

My arm feels like it's popping. Does that mean the swelling is going down or something?

I think my botox in my bladder is working!!!! My mom is making an appointment for in a week or two. And then since I think it's working, the doctor's going to inject dye in my bladder and see how much it can hold. Finger crossed it will be more!

So as soon as that's all done, I can be active on the list!

Thanks for listening!

Brianna
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »

Good on ya', Brianna. You are doing well!

Galvo
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

Ouch on the arm but great news on the bladder!   :thumbup;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Brianna!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:43:36 PM »

Thanks. =] I need to rant right now.

They were supposed to pull my catheter tomorrow, but they canceled it. You know, they want a month of good fistula use, before they take out the catheter? Well, I had a month at Children's but I only had two  good times at the new center, so they're going to keep it in for a month. I SPECIFICALLY told them, that the venous feels like it should curve, but they need to put the needle in straight. But do they listen to me? No. So my nurse at children's called and gave them "hints" about my fistula, and one of the hints was to put the needle in, not how it feels it should go, but straight on instead. So they listen to her, but they ignore me? I'm not stupid. I know how my fistula is. When it infiltrated, it felt fine, up until it infiltrated. So I didn't even know they were sticking me wrong.

I was supposed to have this catheter in for only like a month, until my arm healed enough for them to use it again. It's been about two months. Maybe even three. I'm so mad right now. I know it's my lifeline, and everything, but if they just listened to me, it wouldn't have infiltrated on Friday, and I would be able to shower soon. They're going to ruin my fistula. I'm about ready to just have them use the catheter until transplant. I'm sick of my fistula infiltrating.

I'm going to a concert Friday, and I wanted to be able to shower, and not worry about the catheter. They said I can wrap Saran wrap over the catheter and shower. I guess, I can do that, but I'll be so nervous, I'm going to get it wet.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:37 AM »

I will suggest this because you are young....even though I could never do it. 

LEARN TO STICK YOURSELF!  People who do it say they would never let anyone else ever stick them again.  I guess you can feel where you are going. 

Just a thought.

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »

I would suggest learning to stick yourself at any age!  Any amount of independence is good when you're on D.  Apparently the difference is incredible once you can do it yourself.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Mastery of anything new feels good.  Mastery of my own needles made me feel in charge at a time when I was feeling horribly undermined by my own body, (that weakened body was given great support from my strengthened mental resolve), earned me great respect from my medical team who treated more like a partner in my treatment, eliminated (almost completely) any pre-dialysis anxiety about the sticks especially if in a new unit or with a new nurse, resulted in a super straight, evenly developed, no aneurysms fistula that gave me 5 totally trouble free years of service (until transplant), put me far more in touch with my body and sensations, helped me to relate to pain in more functional ways and made me realize that courage is something I possessed but of which I was quite unaware. 

What always pleased me most was when a patient would ask me to help them get their head around it and when they managed to get to the point of doing their own needles it felt as if we'd climbed Mt. Everest together. 

I hate other people needling me, no matter how "good" they are, I am the best when it comes to MY precious fistula.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Brianna!

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »

I can't even look, when they stick me! I don't know how I would be able to stick myself, if I can't even look when they stick me. I just started to look at the needles in my skin, like before they put the tape on, and before they pull it, and that makes me woozy.
Maker

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:36:56 PM »

Mastery of anything new feels good.  Mastery of my own needles made me feel in charge at a time when I was feeling horribly undermined by my own body, (that weakened body was given great support from my strengthened mental resolve), earned me great respect from my medical team who treated more like a partner in my treatment, eliminated (almost completely) any pre-dialysis anxiety about the sticks especially if in a new unit or with a new nurse, resulted in a super straight, evenly developed, no aneurysms fistula that gave me 5 totally trouble free years of service (until transplant), put me far more in touch with my body and sensations, helped me to relate to pain in more functional ways and made me realize that courage is something I possessed but of which I was quite unaware. 

What always pleased me most was when a patient would ask me to help them get their head around it and when they managed to get to the point of doing their own needles it felt as if we'd climbed Mt. Everest together. 

I hate other people needling me, no matter how "good" they are, I am the best when it comes to MY precious fistula.

I am so doing that!  Can't wait to learn to stick myself.  In a sick way, I think it will be kind of fun  :laugh:  I used to love giving myself Aranesp shots at home before I started dialysis, so I'm a bit twisted.  I will hopefully be reporting here on my self-cannulation journey in several months, God willing  :pray;  And it will be adios to this horrible catheder.

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »

Yesterday I made a commitment to start self care.  Don't know if I can do it.  I'll be the first in my center on this program.  I'll be looking for support when they tell me to "stick it".

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »

You go Dan!  :thumbup;

And all of you who can stick yourselves!  :clap;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »

I was talking to real live renal people recently, and they all did their own needles.  They all said that it was wayyyyyyyyy easier to gt it right when you do your own.  And if you're doing buttonholes and need to go in on the same angle each time, then it is much easier if you do it yourself.  I think it's a bit like when you brush your own hair you can be really rough, but if someone else does it it hurts like hell.
Hmmm, I think I am the first person on ihd to compare dialysis to brushing your hair ... but you know what I mean.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 04:59:01 AM »

I was talking to real live renal people recently, and they all did their own needles.  They all said that it was wayyyyyyyyy easier to gt it right when you do your own.  And if you're doing buttonholes and need to go in on the same angle each time, then it is much easier if you do it yourself.  I think it's a bit like when you brush your own hair you can be really rough, but if someone else does it it hurts like hell.
Hmmm, I think I am the first person on ihd to compare dialysis to brushing your hair ... but you know what I mean.

Brushing your hair is a good analogy though Bern.  I used to practice the pain by pinching myself hard.  Pain is very different if you inflict it on yourself....both physically and psychologically.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 05:01:12 AM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »