I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:42:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Will You / Did You... Tell Your Boss & Workmates about Your Dialysis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will You / Did You... Tell Your Boss & Workmates about Your Dialysis?  (Read 18253 times)
Swee_tone

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »

The last jerk i worked for put me on permanent graveyard shifts (12-7am) when he found out i was pregnant. That's hospitality for you i guess. I had already done 2 weeks straight (14 days working on graveyard no day off) whilst 3 months pregnant then he approached me and asked why i was tired, told him i was pregnant and he switched my shift to permanent nighttime which meant it was me as manager and one barman on duty and that i'd be working another 10 days straight without a day off. I resigned on the spot.

Oh, dont get me started on those types! Good for you for leaving.

Diagnosed in 2000, not on dialysis yet
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 06:59:13 AM »

Oh he was so arrogant. Hubby still can't stand the guy! 7 years on hubs gets that macho/mean/protective look when i mention that boss.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
Malibu

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 07:02:43 AM »

I am currently out of work and have decided that I am not going to tell my new employer (with any luck I will have a job in the near future!) about my husbands illness.  I have a friend on dialysis who was fired because he was draining their co's insurance.  And that is a fact!  If/when I have to take off I'll just ........I guess I'll just lie.  I am a very bad lier....I hope I can pull it off. 
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

I don' think you need to tell your work about your husband's illness - but it might be easier if you mention it eventually.  In case you need time off to be with him.  But I definitely wouldn't mention it till after I got the job lol.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Maker

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »

Does the employer have the ability/ right to know what medications it's employees are taking if you are on the group plan medical insurance coverage?

Great question, I too have wondered if and how much information our employers can obtain from our insurance companies.  Anyone know about this?

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »

I don't know about the U.S but in Aus that would be highly illegal, goes against the privacy act, out here you would have to release that information to them else they (the insurance company) could be sued. I know that when i was in general insurance we could get into massive amount of trouble with the privacy act, if we didn't have direct permission to transmit a customers details to someone then the company could be prosecuted (but, in saying that when you pay your premiums their is an implied right for the insurer to share your detials with some individuals and companies eg, their suppliers and some limited info with other insurers eg though their rating systems, black listed customers etc).

I found this article on a U.S law website http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.htm#C
4. Employers usually obtain medical information about their employees by asking employees to authorize disclosure of medical records. This can occur in several ways not covered by HIPAA. Unfortunately, the laws in only a few states require employers to establish procedures to keep employee medical records confidential. (For example, California Civil Code §56.)

A potential employer may ask for medical information as part of an employment background check, with limitations as explained below. To learn more on employment background checks and an employer's obligations under the FCRA, read PRC Fact Sheet 16 on background checks, www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs16-bck.htm, and the FTC's web site, www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/credit/bus08.shtm.

According to the federal Americans with Disabilities Act in workplaces with more than 15 employees (ADA text, www.eeoc.gov/laws/ada.html, 42 USC §12101 et seq.)

Employers may not ask job applicants about medical information or require a physical examination prior to offering employment.After employment is offered, an employer can only ask for a medical examination if it is required of all employees holding similar jobs.
If you are turned down for work based on the results of a medical examination, the employer must prove that it is physically impossible for you to do the work required.
Report violations of the ADA to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Phone: (800) 669-4000. Web: www.eeoc.gov.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
Swee_tone

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »

Thanks Jenny, appreciate the info.

Diagnosed in 2000, not on dialysis yet
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »

You can tell them whatever you want... it really doesn't matter. They will fake sympathy and at the end of the day still do what is best for the company. They feel a rats ass about their workers. If you think about it none of these people are friends that know you and care about you. They are just people you work with or work for.

I thought mine cared but.... :stressed;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 05:12:43 AM »

Des - sorry - but I disagree. My own workmates are fantastic. My boss, AND the director are incredibly supportive of me (and yes, I know I am so very fortunate). Whenever the subject of a potential transplant comes up for me they are 100% behind it. There is no issue with organising meetings or whatever that I need to be at on non-D days. My boss has often said that if/when that call comes don't even give work a second thought. Take whatever time needed.. they will handle things. I know it isn't just lip service. my boss and closest co-worker have both told me they want me to text them the minute I get the call  - no matter what time of day or night. I feel valued and that they do care.

I also want to mention several previous employers I have had in the past - from when I was diagnosed in 1993 till when I actually had to start dialysis I have let my managers know what the situation was (I have always felt it the best way to operate - to be open and up front about such things rather than give them a nasty surprise one day). Without fault every single boss I have had have all been very suipportive - asking what they can do to help, if I need anything etc. Of course prior to D starting I didn't really need anything, but just knowing that I had support was good.. and I felt good being open about things. Now with a bunch of jobs I finished/left before D became an issue, but I still felt good telling them. It's the way I'd want to be treated by anyone.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 09:59:14 PM »

Good for you then. I have only experienced the bad.
While I was on sick leave they moved me out of my job and my office. When I get back on Monday I will be sitting somewhere else and doing "who knows what".

I HATE THIS DISEASE!!!!!   

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »

While I was on sick leave they moved me out of my job and my office. When I get back on Monday I will be sitting somewhere else and doing "who knows what".

I HATE THIS DISEASE!!!!!

That's terrible. You deserve better. I am so sorry you were treated that way.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:45 AM »

I HATE THIS DISEASE!!!!!

That's horrid Des.  As if we don't already experience massive changes to our lives.  I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Brightsky69

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »

I have been so lucky. I work for the govt. and my boss is very supportive and as well as my coworkers. I think it's mainly because I don't look "sick" and people here don't think of me that way. But my boss is great about all my doctor appts. and lab work and stuff like that. Coworker don't feel too bad for me because most of them have their own medical problems too. Like diabetes and cancer.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
kittylee

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »

I have been so lucky. I work for the govt. and my boss is very supportive and as well as my coworkers. I think it's mainly because I don't look "sick" and people here don't think of me that way. But my boss is great about all my doctor appts. and lab work and stuff like that. Coworker don't feel too bad for me because most of them have their own medical problems too. Like diabetes and cancer.
I too work for the govt and my team leader and co workers are fantastic. I even do a bag change during the day at work. If any of my co workers have a cold or flu they all give me the heads up and try to steer clear of me, which is realy good of them. The only time I have felt singled out is when the swine flu was out and they sent out an email stating that people with certain health problems should be careful - most of my collegues came and asked if I would be ok - YES I am fine have shitty kidneys but all the same fine LOL.

Todays crisis is tomorrows joke... :-)
brandywine

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »

Did I???  I blather on and on and on to any one that will listen.  Complete strangers, the postman, the cab driver, you name it.  I wont shut up!  I am not shy about even the worst details.  I would put out a newsletter if I could get any subscribers.
LOL! Start a blog!

IgA Nephropathy Diagnosed Feb 2009
Transplant List Nov 2010
Peritoneal Dialysis Dec 2010
brandywine

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »

My husband and I worked for the same small company.  We were both in management positions.  We were told all the time that we were part of their family and they would always be there for us.  Well, last October when I found out I needed to start dialysis, boy did things change!  Starting with getting "layed off" a week later.  Since then they've "suggested" to my husband that we find other insurance cause I was making their rates go up.  Well, to no suprise, they are cancelling the coverage for the whole company. Supposedly. So, Dec. 1st, we have no coverage!  So I say it doesn't pay to be completely honest.  After all we were "part of their family" and it didn't really matter.  I wish we wouldn't have been so upfront with them as to what my medical problems are.  After all, all they really need to know is that you have an appointment, not what it's for.
I'm thinking there could be legal ramifications for their behavior, especially if you can prove that you were let go because of their knowledge of the disease or your reduced productivity due to the disease.
Anybody else have any thoughts about that?

IgA Nephropathy Diagnosed Feb 2009
Transplant List Nov 2010
Peritoneal Dialysis Dec 2010
Scarlet

Can someone wake me up please

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »

Everyone is in a different situation, and each country has their own rules and regulations, if yo feel that you have been the victim on discrimination due to any illness then you should get a hold of what ever passes for the Labour Board in you area. 

In my case I told my boss before she was my boss.  When i did my first interview for the job i currently have i told them up front that my mother, who lived in Hamilton Ontario and I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, w has as on dialysis and that i went home as often as i could. I was also up front due to the fact that i have always believed that my employers would work WITH me or Against me and I would rather know right off the hop.

Most of my coworkers now know due to my mom's death 3 years ago and my never ending statement to everyone that if that "one right person" had signed their donor card my mom might not be dead already.

They were so helpful that we had a "why you need to sign your donor card" day at work.  I actually got up and explained to everyone the incredible waste of taking your organs with you when you die.  That now they KNEW someone who could have benefited from a cadaver donor and it was no longer something that happened to "other people"

Everyone has to decide for themselves if they feel comfortable talking to the people they work with, but it has been great for me, I know that I have their support and some days that is all it takes to get you though the bad days. :grouphug;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »