I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Has anyone stopped dialysis because kidney function improved?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone stopped dialysis because kidney function improved?  (Read 21522 times)
Maker

« on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »

I just got lab results yesterday after 1 full month on dialysis. 

Day one GFR = 11, Creatinine = 6.2, BUN = 17

Current GFR = 18, Creatinine = 3.4, BUN = 8

This seems like an incredible improvement to me, and I feel really good!!  I was feeling pretty crappy when I started dialysis.  I would be interested to hear what some of the rest of you think about this type of change in function? 

I know it may be wishful thinking but I am still praying that I can quit dialysis and make it to transplant without starting it again.  Has anyone done something like this?  If so, what would be good enough numbers to justify quitting?     :thx;

Edited: Fixed error in subject line - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:21:01 PM by okarol » Logged

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:17:57 AM »

That sounds absolutely exciting!
I wish you all the best and good luck, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

Maker , it is the dialysis that is making those numbers so good. Try stopping dialysis for a few days and the numbers will more than likely be back to where they were before you started dialysis.  My husband's bloodwork results are really good to but he wouldn't be long getting sick if he gave up dialysis!!   If dialysis is working your bloodwork results will really improve.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:19:45 PM »

Ditto to what Del said!  Dialysis is doing it's job, that's all.  Your creatinine at 3.4 is still very far from normal.  The main point, and it's very very good news too, is that you're feeling better and by keeping your lab values within acceptable ranges you will be preventing longer-term damage to your body, damage that can be irreversible sometimes.

As lovely a dream as it may be, don't consider stopping dialysis or you will start feeling crappy again in short order. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »

Yeah , sorry to burst your bubble but we all improve WITH dialysis. I wish i could tell you different  :(

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »

Yep, shows D is doing its thing and that's half the reason for doing it - to make you well enough to get on with life (and to keep living it).

I remember a couple of years ago at my unit there was a girl who came in one day all excited! Her results were so great that they were saying she didn't have to come back to the next dialysis! There was real hope and some excitement. It *is* very rare, but it does happen that kidneys can recover some function. Well she skipped that next session.... .... and was back the session afterwards - they'd tested her again and sure enough the labs were back down in the dumps. Poor thing was so crestfallen. She didn't skip any more sessions.

So yeah Maker sounds good but I think you should focus on how good you're feeling and that those labs are very good rather than "can I stop dialysis?" - it's great you ARE doing so well!!!  :2thumbsup;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Maker

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:03:24 PM »

Ok, thanks guys, I get the picture...

I didn't know what to expect when I started dialysis, so I was really surprised to see such a big improvement.  I will focus on being thankful that I feel good and I won't try to quit!  :)

I definitely don't want to start feeling sick again.

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »

oh goodness maker,,,, I'm still in a bit of denial (i guess) that my hubby is really going to have to stay on dialysis..  See, for him, his GFR stayed at about 20-27 "unless" he got his bronchitis and then his GFR would be 18 or 19..(still too high for dialysis i thought)   So, when this last time he went in coughing, and it was low and his hemoglobin was low, they gave him transfusions and started his dialysis.    Back up came his GFR so i say, give him a try without dialysis..  They're reluctant to do this but boy oh boy do i feel your desire to try.  All his numbers are good, but  :'( he does retain water now so i guess thats the reason we probably HAVE to keep at it...  It's really not too bad or anything, i just really want to know that we're doing the right thing and not doing it prematurely.. Gesh, sorry to go on about 'us'.... i just know how it feels to want to try, but as these good people here say,,,,, keep at it..  Im so glad you have a 'kidney' in your future..that will surely be a happy day :2thumbsup;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »

Acute kidney failure (due to sudden blockage of the ureters or infection of the kidneys) is known to be reversible in many cases.

Reversibility of chronic kidney disease is much rarer (though it has happened).  We had one patient in my dialysis unit whose kidneys recovered enough to get off dialysis.  But that's just one patient, out of the scores of patients being dialyzed.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »

When my husband started dialysis he felt so good for the first few months. Unfortunately he started slacking off with taking care of himself on the off days. Enjoy your life now that your feeling better. Dialysis is a treatment that needs to be continued with proper diet and a pro-active stance with your health. Do your best so that you can BE at your best!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

Hi,

I'm glad your results are coming back positive, you must be feeling heaps better. I've got my fingers crossed for you for the transplant and fistula (and prayers). Don't stop D though becuase it is working, you are feeling so good because hemo is really efficient at removing toxins from the body.

Alll the best, Jenny

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »

oh goodness maker,,,, I'm still in a bit of denial (i guess) that my hubby is really going to have to stay on dialysis..  See, for him, his GFR stayed at about 20-27 "unless" he got his bronchitis and then his GFR would be 18 or 19..(still too high for dialysis i thought)   So, when this last time he went in coughing, and it was low and his hemoglobin was low, they gave him transfusions and started his dialysis.    Back up came his GFR so i say, give him a try without dialysis..  They're reluctant to do this but boy oh boy do i feel your desire to try.  All his numbers are good, but  :'( he does retain water now so i guess thats the reason we probably HAVE to keep at it...  It's really not too bad or anything, i just really want to know that we're doing the right thing and not doing it prematurely.. Gesh, sorry to go on about 'us'.... i just know how it feels to want to try, but as these good people here say,,,,, keep at it..  Im so glad you have a 'kidney' in your future..that will surely be a happy day :2thumbsup;

20-27 GFR does sound a bit high - but it also sounds like your hubby is seeing some other symptoms of ESRF so perhaps the decision to start, while surprising and a bit early, was made because of that. In the end stuff like eGFR is just a number - the important issue is how the patient is feeling and what physical symptoms they are having. You mentioned fluid retention which is clearly one issue that needs to be dealt with (note the numbers of threads dealing with fluids here!) so while getting off D sounds like a great idea, that won't solve the fluid issue, and you do NOT want fluids building up in hubby.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »

Hey Maker! Congrats on the readings. I go back to the nephrologist next week andI'm looking forward to an improvement. I hope I can match yours. I'll let you know. Keep smiling.

Galvo
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »

"""""[20-27 GFR does sound a bit high - but it also sounds like your hubby is seeing some other symptoms of ESRF so perhaps the decision to start, while surprising and a bit early, was made because of that. In the end stuff like eGFR is just a number - the important issue is how the patient is feeling and what physical symptoms they are having. You mentioned fluid retention which is clearly one issue that needs to be dealt with (note the numbers of threads dealing with fluids here!) so while getting off D sounds like a great idea, that won't solve the fluid issue, and you do NOT want fluids building up in hubby.
[/quote]""""

edited to say  :oops;  Dont know what i did or how to "quote" so that above me is a quote from RichardMEL
Thank you so much.. We're going to his reg neph tomorrow, and im not even sure what questions to ask anymore..  I feel like i've gotton so much info here already...  I do think that his main reason for 'D' is because of fluid.  His potasium and all that stuff is always right on (without meds etc) and sometimes they  even question why he started d in the first place............and then he comes in with swolen feet and say ahhhhha...  Again, thanks!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:58:54 PM by boswife » Logged

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »

Hey
 I know you want to get off of dilalysis. And boy, you know from reading my most recent post, I do too. You really should look at the Kt/v. If that is high you can discuss it with your doctors. I see if your creatinine level is 3.4 the you have a lot, I mean a lot of kidney function left. Are you on any binders? Just curious.

Actually, I am writing my book. I have permission from a nearby nocturnal unit to talk to patients about being on nocturnal hemo dialysis. One of the guys that i am interviewing went 15 months without dialysis after being on dialysis for awhile.
 I personally wont count on it. I am hearing stories that people after being on dialysis so long their kidneys kicked back in. My nurse was telling me that she had a few people that went off of dialysis because they didnt need it anymore, they are being watched. A issue of one the Davita, National Kidney Foundation or AAKP had a article way back about a guy who no longer needed dialysis for awhile.
 I guess it has happned, I just wish i didnt hear about it. lol
 Its too bad that you cant go on PD. Your levels would look good like this for a longer time then they are on hemo.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 01:01:35 AM »

I wouldn't want to give you false hope Lori, but this can happen.
My Neph told me he had had a patient regain enough function to get off dialysis.
This lady was on the waiting list for a kidney and all.
I have read that the aim of "D" is to give you around 20% function.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
Maker

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 01:59:29 AM »

Hey
 I know you want to get off of dilalysis. And boy, you know from reading my most recent post, I do too. You really should look at the Kt/v. If that is high you can discuss it with your doctors. I see if your creatinine level is 3.4 the you have a lot, I mean a lot of kidney function left. Are you on any binders? Just curious.

Actually, I am writing my book. I have permission from a nearby nocturnal unit to talk to patients about being on nocturnal hemo dialysis. One of the guys that i am interviewing went 15 months without dialysis after being on dialysis for awhile.
 I personally wont count on it. I am hearing stories that people after being on dialysis so long their kidneys kicked back in. My nurse was telling me that she had a few people that went off of dialysis because they didnt need it anymore, they are being watched. A issue of one the Davita, National Kidney Foundation or AAKP had a article way back about a guy who no longer needed dialysis for awhile.
 I guess it has happned, I just wish i didnt hear about it. lol
 Its too bad that you cant go on PD. Your levels would look good like this for a longer time then they are on hemo.

Lisa

Yes Lisa, I am on binders.  800mg Renvela with meals & snacks.  Seems to be working, my phosphorus went from 5.1 to 3.4  :2thumbsup; 

Kt/V 1.8, URR 75

Peeing good right now without any swelling or edema.  Woke up this morning with a full bladder  :bandance;

I really don't think I want to do PD, but I really want to do home hemo if I can't get a living donor transplant fairly soon.  I'm just trying to find out if its even an option without a "partner".

Hey Maker! Congrats on the readings. I go back to the nephrologist next week andI'm looking forward to an improvement. I hope I can match yours. I'll let you know. Keep smiling.

Yes Galvo, please let us know what you find out!  How are you feeling since starting D?

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007

dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 06:48:12 AM »

Ok, I go to what is reported to be the largest Davita in the world and my tech had 20 years experience there.  She tells me that ONE man was able to get off dialysis since she's been there (alive I mean).  Odds not that good!

Home vs. In Center:  In Texas your are required to have A partner.  I fought like heck to do home even finding different people who would come stay during my treatment but they would not approve.  Didn't really think it was worth getting married.  I am SO GLAD.  I couldn't have handled all the responsibility alone.  A nurse, a tech and myself get it all done three times a week.  Also glad that they are responsible for all the required equipment, chemicals, helping make decision, etc.  I now know I wouldn't want supplies it in  the  house as a constant reminder.  All that and I get to visit three times per weeks, complain if I feel the need three times per week, watch movies, catch up on e-maiil (though one handed), read a lot of your posts plus a few other perks I shouldn't tell about.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 07:16:59 AM »

hey Im jealous that your center has internet. If it is so large, how many patients are there? My center in Detroit has 180. (I only do hemo when i get a hernia and have to heal after surgery).

Lisa

Ok, I go to what is reported to be the largest Davita in the world and my tech had 20 years experience there.  She tells me that ONE man was able to get off dialysis since she's been there (alive I mean).  Odds not that good!

Home vs. In Center:  In Texas your are required to have A partner.  I fought like heck to do home even finding different people who would come stay during my treatment but they would not approve.  Didn't really think it was worth getting married.  I am SO GLAD.  I couldn't have handled all the responsibility alone.  A nurse, a tech and myself get it all done three times a week.  Also glad that they are responsible for all the required equipment, chemicals, helping make decision, etc.  I now know I wouldn't want supplies it in  the  house as a constant reminder.  All that and I get to visit three times per weeks, complain if I feel the need three times per week, watch movies, catch up on e-maiil (though one handed), read a lot of your posts plus a few other perks I shouldn't tell about.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Maker

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »

You make some great points!  I love the staff at dialysis and always look forward to seeing them.  We have wi-fi so the 3 1/2 hours flies by, I'm never bored.  And it is nice not to have all the supplies at my house.  But I hear results are so much better when you get more hours and more FIRST hours of dialysis at home.  Guess I'm doing pretty good for now though  ;D

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007

nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »

In all my years as a Dialysis nurse, never heard of that.  Until now.  I had a patient on HD for years.  She swas from a previous clinic.  She called me the other day and said she hadn't been to HD in months.  I congratulated her on her transplant, and she said "no, she just wasn't needing HD any more".  She said her labs are grood, and that she feels great, and has gone back to work".  This is of course a very rare instance, but I guess we can never say never.   :cheer:   

But everyone is right, you feel better and your labs are improved because HD is doing it's job!!!!!! :bandance;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 03:36:34 AM »

Maker, I've had the vasc cath in my neck removedand a chest one installed. 6 bouts of D, am now on 4 hours per session and I feel GOOD!!!!! As I said, I'm looking forward to my pathology figures next week. I hope I can match yours. Back to you, girl, how are YOU feeling?

Galvo
Maker

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »

Maker, I've had the vasc cath in my neck removedand a chest one installed. 6 bouts of D, am now on 4 hours per session and I feel GOOD!!!!! As I said, I'm looking forward to my pathology figures next week. I hope I can match yours. Back to you, girl, how are YOU feeling?

Galvo, that's great  :clap;  I'm glad you are feeling good.  I feel like a million bucks!  Best I have felt in quite a while. 

Post your lab results when you get them next week if you would like, and I really hope they are good.  The fact that you are feeling better must be a good sign.  Its exciting to see the results of our hard work - especially when we follow our diet and blood work shows it  :)

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007

Savemeimdtba

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 09:04:57 PM »

I've been wondering this lately as well... my labs have been really good:

Createnine - 3.2
Kt/v - 3.5
Phosphorus  - 4.0 (no binders in 2 months)
hemoglobin - 13.9 (no Epo in 4 months)

I'm doing less dialysis and have still been doing great... I'd like to see what happens if I stopped dialysis but I'm too scared to try it :/  I just try to focus on the fact that I am feeling so much better than before and to be thankful for that. 

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »

Wow that is awesomeSavemeimdtba!
 What was your creatinine level when  you started dialysis? 3.2 is quite low IMO. My nurse did tell me if someone's Kt/v is 4 or 5, you have enough residual kidney function to not need dialysis anymore.

Lisa

I've been wondering this lately as well... my labs have been really good:

Createnine - 3.2
Kt/v - 3.5
Phosphorus  - 4.0 (no binders in 2 months)
hemoglobin - 13.9 (no Epo in 4 months)

I'm doing less dialysis and have still been doing great... I'd like to see what happens if I stopped dialysis but I'm too scared to try it :/  I just try to focus on the fact that I am feeling so much better than before and to be thankful for that.

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »