I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:25:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I have a question for those on hemo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have a question for those on hemo  (Read 2147 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: November 02, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »

its flu season, what do you do. I always here "drink plenty of fluids". But if you are on a fluid restriction, what do you do if you are so restricted on fluid?

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »

Yep it's difficult. Usually when I'd get a cold(let alone a flu) I would drink lots of hot tea and that sort of thing. What I have done really is make any fluids I do take hot ones (I know tha seems a bit silly but just something I'd do - plus I find hot tea helps when I feel horrible) and I take some vitamin C (but I also know the chewable kind has sodium in it so I don't take too much) and well I just endure it.

I also have the flu shot every year (and of course I just had the swine flu shot last week)

Sorry can't be of much more help with that one. It really is annoying because hot tea and hot soup used to be my staple when I had a cold or flu... now... not so much :(

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
*kana*

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:28 PM »

I don't think there is much you can do.  Drink the amount you are allowed and try to factor in the fluid loss you lose either through vomiting or diarrhea.

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Melissa

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 07:56:46 PM »

Yeah, there isn't too much you can do, unfortunately.
I get the flu shot, wash my hands like a maniac and also like hot fluids. 
If I do get sick I will drink a little extra and have it taken off at dialysis which I am definitely NOT recommending, but being honest.....it's hard!   Oh, rinsing my mouth seems to help too...
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »

its flu season, what do you do. I always here "drink plenty of fluids". But if you are on a fluid restriction, what do you do if you are so restricted on fluid?

Lisa
My neph told me to drink some more fluids.

I'm still making urine, and I can afford to have them pull off some more fluid for the week or two it will take to get over the bug.  It's not like you're going to be doing it month after month.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »