I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  29 and starting PD tomorrow!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 29 and starting PD tomorrow!  (Read 3758 times)
lou

« on: October 26, 2009, 02:00:01 PM »

Hi, my name is Louise and I'm 29. I live in Exeter in the UK and am doing my PD training this week. Trying to stay really positive but finding it all a bit much at the moment to be honest and keep crying at random moments!

A bit about me:

I found out I had kidney disease at 25 and was really hoping to receive a kidney from my mum last year but the doctors said no at the last minute as they found she had a cyst on her kidney. My brother and boyfriend were also tested but unfortunately not a good match. I went on the transplant list last august. I ususally think I'm quite a positive person and my boyfriend and family have been brilliant but I find it hard not knowing anyone else in this situation. Every time I go to the hospital I look around and notice I am the only person in the dialysis ward without grey hair and that can be quite hard to deal with!

I am a teacher so on my half term at the moment.... think I would actually rather be at school this week getting crap off the kids rather than facing this machine and all those tubes!!

would love soooo much to speak to someone closer to my age who is also going through all this.

had my first day of PD training today and will actually start it overnight tomorrow. Found this site about an hour ago and think it looks really lovely.

hope someone out there reads this and would be great to hear back from anyone,

take care
louise xxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:13:02 PM by lou » Logged
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »

Hi Louise! I'm Brianna, and i'm 16 and on hemo. If you want to chat feel free to email me at cheeseylicious@yahoo.com

I'm sure you'll love this site!

-Brianna
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »

Hi Louise and  :welcomesign;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »

G'day Louise! I'm waiting to hear about getting a fistula and, yeah, it's hard to be positive all the time. Have a good cry when you need to , then come bouncing back. Im much older than you but I think, no matter  what our age, we all understand where you're coming from. Now your'e on this site, your're not alone. Keep posting and smiling.

Galvo
Maker

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »

Hi Louise!!

You are so cute...the way you write I can almost "hear" your accent through your writing  ;)  My name is Lori and I am 33, started in center hemo 3 weeks ago. Out of curiousity, why did you choose PD?

I hear you about being the only one around without gray hair, you should see the sweet old people at my dialysis unit.  I get some strange looks from them.  But its a blessing because I get along great with the staff and I feel like I get a lot of special treatment ;D 

I am thinking also I would like to get on the transplant list, but I am just beginning the process.  I have a brother and sister-in-law, as well as my best friend, who have asked if they can be tested, but that's a big decision too...   

This forum has been great for me the past few days since I joined.  I live alone and have no family around so it's hard to not feel lonely since I got sick, but talking with others here going thru the same things really helps!  I pray we both can stay positive also and find encouragement, and learn lots because knowledge is power in this  :)

God Bless and welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:10:52 AM by Maker » Logged

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »

Lou I'm so glad you joined us.  I was 24 when I suddenly ended up on dialysis.  I remember thinking dialysis must cause brain damage as everyone I saw was a little "off".   :rofl;   So, I understand how you feel about being young.  I'm now 48, so life on dialysis does go on. On this site there are people of all ages.  I know you will find this site very educational and fun.

:welcomesign;

Rerun, Moderator

CybeR

DODGERS!

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »

Hi Louise,  :welcomesign;

I too am a young person on dialysis so I know how you feel. But like that song by the Spinners goes "Ooh child things are gonna get easier" :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:17:48 PM by CybeR » Logged
CybeR

DODGERS!

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »

oops double posted by mistake lol  :banghead;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 11:51:22 PM »

:welcomesign; Lou. I am one of those little old gray hair :rofl;ed ladies you are talking about, I hope when I go on to dialysis that I have some young people, like yourself to talk to. You seem so sweet, and I am sorry you are having to go thru this at your age. Glad you joined IHD, there is so much help here.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
lou

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 04:36:26 AM »

thank you so much for these messages they really made me smile this morning.

I woke up to a delivery man this morning delivering the machine and scales. Then an hour later some more boxes have arrived. I am now waiting for the dialysis solution to be delivered (is that whats its called?) pretty overwhelming seeing our little living room getting filled up with all this stuff but thought id check this website and when i saw these responses it really cheered me up so thank you.

just spoke to my dialysis nurse and she is coming round tomorrow morning to set this all up in the bedroom and then i will start it tomorrow night - so i guess i have one more 'normal' night sleep tonight!

hope you are all doing ok today. im so glad i have found this website. although its great to talk to friends about this it really means a lot to hear from other people who know how it feels.
lou

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 04:53:57 AM »

Hi Lori, thanks so much for your email its lovely to hear from you. You look gorgeous in your picture and sound like such a positive person. Its so strange going through all this isn't it? I still find it hard to get my head round sometimes, how life can change so suddenly.

I was giving the option of hemo or PD but all the nurses recomended I go on PD. They said it was because firstly as I still work (I teach 4 days a week) I can do it overnight and secondly they told me most young people go on PD. Can I ask why you chose hemo?

I'm sorry you have no family close by. Where do they live? I hope you have lots of good friends around you to help. I just looked at where you are from on the map and I have been fairly close to there! When I was at uni I did a 3 month placement at Michigan uni, Ann arbor, which I loved. (saying that you might live miles aways from there and I'm doing that English thing of thinking everywhere is really close!)

Anyway I hope you also get on the transplant list soon - to be honest that is the only thing that is giving me hope at the moment.

hopefully hear from you soon, take care

Louise xxx

lizabee

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:16:09 AM »

Hi and welcome, I am 35 and on Hemo, waiting for a transplant from a friend this winter.  If you'd like to email me and chat feel free at elizabeth.foradori@yahoo.com
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »

Hi Louise,

:welcomesign;

My Blokey is hopefully going to start PD soon (*fingers crossed and all that jazz*).  He's currently on hemo 3x a week after his kidney's unexpectedly failed earlier this year.  We're in our early thirties and live in England, albeit the other side of the country to you!  Oooh, and I work in education too ...

This site has been such an education for me; I'm so pleased I found it.  Unfortunately I can't get Blokey to have a gander yet, but I am working on it.  I think he'd find it so helpful, and I'm sure you will do too.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
rookiegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »

Welcome to IHD.  You will find so many great supportive individuals here.  I found out about my kidney disease at age 29 and by age 36, I started PD.  I was on PD for about 1.5 years and a kidney transplant this past March 09.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
draven

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 01:59:33 AM »

Hi Louise

Im 28 and was on dialysis for a year before i recieved a transplant.

you have come to the right place, being young and on dialysis really does suck.

hope you get a transplant soon

Draven
marie

Just living life day by day!

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:51:44 AM »

I am 22 yrs old, been on Dialysis over a yr now. I felt the same way you do, with all of the older people staring at me. Everybody thought I was there to pick someone up. lol

-Diagnosed with ESRD mid Sept. of 08
-Started Dialysis mid Sept. of 08

My kidney's failed a month after I gave birth to my beautiful daughter becaused the doctors mis-diagnosed me when I had gallstones which went into my pancreas causing pancreantitis. Now im just waiting to be put on the transplant list :)

I'm very thankful to have a chance to see my lil girl grow up !!
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »

:welcomesign; Lou to IHD. At least you found this place in time.
When I started "D" I had no idea what was happening, just that it'd be good for me.
I was called a baby at my dialysis unit by a nurse because of my age (32) compared to the other patients.
You're organs ain't supposed to fail this early, but at least we have dialysis.
Good luck with that transplant list.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

hey,
 You are not alone here. (This another reason why i am writing my book). I started when i was 24 years old, and i still had few more semesters of college to finish and my daughter was almost 2! So doing CAPD exchanges 4 times a day was not fun with a 23 month old. lol
 I am 26 now, been on PD for 2 years.
I have to wait atleast 3 more years uintil i get a kidney. Where i am at, it is a 5 year wait.
'
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
whiskeyfrank

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 04:41:45 AM »

Welcome Louise, I was diagnosed with renal failure at 16 but kept going till my 40th birthday. I'm in Worcester (UK) and Know Exeter very well as i have family there (still go to see the Grecians occasionally).

You will be surprised how quickly you get used to dialysis, the machines become second nature after a while and I'm sure it will make you feel better. I'm on Hemo as i dint have any kidneys but did go through the PD scenario initially.

Hang on in there and keep in touch on the board, it helps me and I'm sure it will you too.

PKD - diagnosed 1986
Fistula added July 2009
Bilateral Nephrectomy Oct 2009
Fistula Failed Oct 2009
HD started Oct 2009
Live donor from mum Jan 4th 2010
mum and me both great

Started a blog on my condition from stable now to Living Donor transplant (hopefully)

My Blog - http://pkddiary.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »