I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:56:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  Organ donors and health insurance - fact or spam??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organ donors and health insurance - fact or spam??  (Read 6788 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: October 20, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »

I have gotten this (or similar) e-mail four times today. I cannot find any information that the healthcare bill specifically addresses living donors and health insurance. If anyone has more info please let me know.
Thanks,
Karol

Here is what has been going around:

Hi everyone..

I had to share the info forwarded below on health care reform because it was very focused on an issue near and dear to our hearts; how being an organ donor can result later on in that donor being denied health insurance coverage, because their "gift of life" is considered a "pre-existing condition." If you feel strongly that this is wrong, please take a moment and call your reps in Congress today; and remember the other important issues in health care reform in the interests of renal patients: lifetime immunosuppressants coverage and universal access to Medigap Supplemental Insurance.

Please call your Senators and House District Representative; there is a hyperlink highlighted below the "Time to Deliver" logo to find the contact info for your them.

There is so much going on in the renal world these days, but Congress needs to hear our voices...

Thanks for listening... take care..
(name removed)
 ---------------
ATTACHMENT

Sent: 10/20/2009 10:58:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: 100,000 calls to Congress

Organizing for America

Jenny U. from Missouri did what any parent would: When her son needed a kidney, she donated one of hers. But she didn't realize insurance companies would use her kindness as an excuse to never cover her again, calling her donation a "pre-existing condition."

Now, insurance companies are spending millions on a campaign of lies to kill health reform that would help folks like Jenny. So, today, with crucial negotiations taking place in Congress, we're raising our voices and making it clear: It's time to deliver on reform.

We've set a big goal: 100,000 calls to Congress made or committed to in a single day. To hit it, we'll need your help -- will you take 3 minutes to call Congress now?

Call your representatives and tell them: It's Time to Deliver on health reform. Please call !

http://my.barackobama.com/CallTTD?district=NY21

In order to find the contact info on your reps., use this link ( Click here to look yours up.)

Health insurance reform is finally ready for consideration by the full Congress, and hundreds of insurance company lobbyists on Capitol Hill are working overtime to kill it. Calling is quick and easy, but effective -- and your voice has tremendous power at this critical moment.

After you make your call, tell the staffer who picks up where you live and that you're counting on Congress to deliver on health reform. Let them know that Americans like you support the President's plan -- and that if your representatives are working to pass it, they have your thanks.

If we hit 100,000 calls made or committed to, we'll send an unmistakable signal that this time, families must come before insurance companies. We'll be tracking progress toward our goal publicly -- make sure to report your call back to us so we can count it:

http://my.barackobama.com/CallTTD

Mitch

Mitch Stewart
Director
Organizing for America

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »

Nobody really knows what the Health Care Reform Act says! 

If anything, being an organ donor should be free health care for life!   :twocents;

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:15 AM »

This is so sad....  pre-existing conditions.....  and Donors.....   I sure hope that the health care bill does something about pre-existing conditions... My insurance went up 24% just last month, right after I started D.....  Now we pay 989.00 per month for health insurance....   Plus copays and medications, and now the monthly dues for medicare.....probably come up to close to 1200.00 per month......   Can you believe that....  How do I tell me possible donors that they might loose their health insurance...... or that they may not be able to get insurance......  Sure makes you think twice about donation......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »