I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:31:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Anyone bring in treats for the workers?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone bring in treats for the workers?  (Read 27502 times)
CCHT_8o8

I suffer from CSI (C.ant S.tand I.gnorance)

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »

There is a rule in our clinic where no eating or drinking is allowed.  I told them that they have to clarify that rule... a few years ago, it was allowable to have visitors with you during treatment.  Then it became where the families would start bringing food for them to eat.  Then it came to a point where picnics (yes, picnics) were being set up.  I don't think it's any big harm to have a few snacks here and there, but no plate lunches (in Hawaii they're better known as "bentos") of any kind.  They also have some kind of grudge where patients can't share food with others (something about Hep B).  Now, the way I have seen it, if someone becomes hypotensive, these damn nurses and techs scatter to find some kind of snack to give to this person.  It's ironic that it's not allowed in the clinic but it's essential in times like these.  Personally, I buy sugar free Starbursts (the chewy kind) and stash them in the lunchroom so that way I know exactly where to find them in case someone needs it.  One of our nurses even poured a packet of fricken Equal down a diabetic's throat while she was passing out because of hypotension! :o  I swear I wanted to do the same to that nurse!  What if that patient had choked???  I know it isn't our responsibility of patients don't eat, but it is our responsibility if something happens to that patient that could have been easily corrected or better yet, avoided.  I had a very bad day at work today because of an RN... so sorry for the rant!   :rant;

No fear of change
Jannie

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 05:29:18 PM »

I brought in a box of donuts once. Someone put it in the employee break room. One person thanked me. I won't bother doing it again.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

Excuse me, they have a job and are paid. Noone is paying me to be there in that damn chair for four hours three days a week.  They make good money, don't let them kid you!  Someone should bring me a damn treat every now and then!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 07:41:42 PM »

Kit, i love your way of thinking my friend, that is what i am saying  :bow; :bow; :bow;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 08:00:50 PM »

like i said before, i did make a baby blanket for one of the techs. there aren't any techs there now that i really want to do anything for. however i am going to get a little something for christmas for my nurse. she's lurking around here somewhere, wish she would just join, she's wonderful

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »

like i said before, i did make a baby blanket for one of the techs. there aren't any techs there now that i really want to do anything for. however i am going to get a little something for christmas for my nurse. she's lurking around here somewhere, wish she would just join, she's wonderful

Grammalady, you should print out one of our flyers and give it to her, maybe if she see's it on black and white she might wanna check it out  :2thumbsup;

here is the link for the IHD flyer:  http://www.ihatedialysis.com/images/dialysisflyer01.pdf

www.kidneyoogle.com
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »

Grammalady, you should print out one of our flyers and give it to her, maybe if she see's it on black and white she might wanna check it out  :2thumbsup;

here is the link for the IHD flyer:  http://www.ihatedialysis.com/images/dialysisflyer01.pdf

she's already looked at us, i'm sure she will post eventually

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Jannie

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »

Today a female patient brought in home-made Blondies. I took one and they were delicious. I think I'll make something next week. I love my dialysis staff. When I was working, one of the nicest events was when somebody/anybody brought a treat to share at break time.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 08:45:22 AM »

Excuse me, they have a job and are paid. Noone is paying me to be there in that damn chair for four hours three days a week.  They make good money, don't let them kid you!  Someone should bring me a damn treat every now and then!

You are right, that is their job and they are getting paid to do it.  However, I'm sure not many people tell them what a good job they are doing (if they are continually doing one).  Like any job, you want to hear that now and then.  Before I started working from home, my boss would bring in treats now and then or load up our candy jar.  It was nice of her and it made us smile.

I don't want to overlook any of you on dialysis, it's a sucky thing to be on.  I see what my husband goes through and it kills me.  I know I would hate to be on there too.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
ssticker

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »

For many years I would roast a 13-15 pound turkey for the staff for Thanksgiving when the center was open on that day and I was dialyzing.  Now they give us off for the holiday.
 8)
Was the turkey THAT bad? LOL!!!

In Center HD '99
SELF stick '99
Buttonhole '07
Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts.
Jim Morrison
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »

:boxing;

Just kidding. LOL!

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 10:46:40 PM »

For many years I would roast a 13-15 pound turkey for the staff for Thanksgiving when the center was open on that day and I was dialyzing.  Now they give us off for the holiday.
 8)

:rofl;  ;D

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 10:41:23 PM »

i  usually  bring  something  in  for the  nurses  when  i'm  in  a  good  mood,usually  some  stuff  that  i  bring  is  shared  by  the  unit  together.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Jamesw

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 10:32:38 PM »

I've kind of felt guilty for never bringing things in for the nurses, and even more so now that I realize just how special the nurses in my clinic are. I don't mean to brag but I honestly have never had one bad nurse sure I've had cramping episodes and other minor things like that but wow I'm almost ashamed at how amazing the nurses I have are compared to some of the gestapo officers you all have to deal with. There isn't one nurse I can think of that didn't seem to personally care about all the patients they dealt with. Even when some of the patients become belligerent, they just counter with understanding. I'm so sorry you don't all have the nurses I do, and I can't imagine how much worse that must make an already nearly impossible situation.

PS. Next chance I get I'm bringing treats for all of them.
Katonsdad

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »

At the clinic I went to , The staff was great . At Major holidays they would have a small meal for the patients .
Kidney safe products of course . and sugar free stuff for the diabetic patients . One time they had a group come in
and every patient got a small travel pillow for the chairs that could be taken home.

In return my wife and I brought in a semi catered Italian lunch for the staff . They deserved it . they were nice to every patient
even to those that did not treat them well.
 :christmastree;

Katonsdad

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2007, 03:34:26 AM »

I buy one to two dozen donuts for the staff at my center about twice a month. When it comes to patients, the staff has to be very careful what to share with them. Everyone has a different ailment.
I greatly appreciate what they are doing for me and others on dialysis, they keep us alive, can't put a price on that. I pray for them daily, it's a tough job dealing with multiple personalities including there own peers and smile at the same time.
Got to love them.

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

I was thinking of buying a Swiss Colony box of cheeses, meats, and treats for the staff to share for Christmas.  What do you all think?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 06:52:55 AM »

Kitkatz I think thats great but, my I suggest you send one to me first so we can make sure it is the right thing to do...Boxman
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:56:27 AM by boxman55 » Logged

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 09:22:46 PM »

Okay i can get that right out to you! :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 09:27:54 PM »

Okay i can get that right out to you! :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

You might want to send it to me first Kit, i'll make sure Boxman gets it (or at least some of it)  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2007, 01:31:27 AM »

Okay One to Goofynina and another to Boxman, How are you paying for these?  Will that be cash or credit?

lifenotonthelist.com

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2007, 05:55:09 PM »

:secret; put mine on Boxmans tab please ;) ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »

:secret; put mine on Boxmans tab please ;) ;)
I didn't know I had a tab. This is great, send one to all the ladies on this site..Merry Christmas...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 06:05:46 PM »

:rofl; You are just too damn quick aint'cha Boxman  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »

I am sorry they said they were all out of Tab!

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »