I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I think I have fluid in my lungs
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I have fluid in my lungs  (Read 21615 times)
zona

« on: October 11, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »

I was on my feet yesterday a little more than usual and went to bed with them swollen. Today my feet and ankels are unrecognizable. I can't breath when I lie down and I hear gurgling sound in my chest. I am going to call neph.In the morning. This is miserable.I can't bend my feet to walk. At this point I would welco
me dialysis!

zona  diagnosed with Igan 1993
         pre-dialysis gfr13% listed for transplant March 2010 Received transplant from deceased son August 2013. My son my hero.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:03:34 PM »

zona, call your neph asap!!!  If you have a lot of difficulty breathing go to the emergency department.  Fluid on your lungs is dangerous!!!  You do have the symptoms of fluid overload. When PD stopped working for hubby he had trouble lying down and when he did you could hear a gurgling sound just like when you open a can of pop. My advice to you is to call your neph NOW if you can if not get yourself to emerg!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »

Zona, please go to the ER.  Very serious situation you describe and a doctor ought to check you out.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:24:47 PM »

I was like this for about about a week before I went to my neph and I am quite lucky I am okay. They are right - this is a dangerous situation. Don't wait!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »

I agree. DO NOT WAIT. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT $200. GO STRAIGHT TO THE ER.

This is potentially very serious for you and it must be checked. You had the warning signs last night with your ankles swelling up. Clearly you are fluid loaded.

Please - get checked!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

PLEASE GO TO THE ER.  Look up congestive heart failure.

What are the symptoms of congestive heart failure?

The symptoms of congestive heart failure vary among individuals according to the particular organ systems involved and depending on the degree to which the rest of the body has "compensated" for the heart muscle weakness.

* An early symptom of congestive heart failure is fatigue. While fatigue is a sensitive indicator of possible underlying congestive heart failure, it is obviously a nonspecific symptom that may be caused by many other conditions. The person's ability to exercise may also diminish. Patients may not even sense this decrease and they may subconsciously reduce their activities to accommodate this limitation.

* As the body becomes overloaded with fluid from congestive heart failure, swelling (edema) of the ankles and legs or abdomen may be noticed.

* In addition, fluid may accumulate in the lungs, thereby causing shortness of breath, particularly during exercise and when lying flat. In some instances, patients are awakened at night, gasping for air.

* Some may be unable to sleep unless sitting upright.

* The extra fluid in the body may cause increased urination, particularly at night.

* Accumulation of fluid in the liver and intestines may cause nausea, abdominal pain, and decreased appetite.
silverhead

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

Sharon had the same symptoms, ended up in the ER, was admitted to the hospital and they used a needle to pull out 2 liters of fluid from her lungs. Don't mean to scare you, but this is extremely serious......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
zona

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:14:58 AM »

Hey everyone, thank you for your concern! I fell asleep last night sitting straight up in bed with pillows behind my back. I was so exhausted. This morning I woke up in a sweat,kinda like when you have a fever and it breaks. The puffiness has gone down, I can see my ankles and am breathing a little easier. Still, I will call my neph. today. This happens everytime I try to do normal activity. I think I can do more than I can and I get into trouble. Today is going to be a stay in bed day! :thx;

pre-dialysis gfr13% listed for transplant March 2010 Received transplant from deceased son August 2013. My son my hero.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:31:47 AM »

Dear Zona , dont be afraid but now is the time your are going to have to start dialysis.  The fact that you slept sitting up last night and can breathe easier today is only fooling you. When you are upright the fluid just moves places. Please insist on seeing someone today. I had this problem , not through ignorance but through PD not doing its job. I ended up in ER , no visible signs of fluid , no swelling of feet or legs , just breathless. The fluid was invisible but it was all around my heart and on my lungs and i had a heart attack (only a mild one) It might shift around your body but the fluid is there now and wont go away.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
silverhead

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »

Zona, what I posted above was not the complete picture of Sharon's situation, She had her first incidence of these symptoms about 6 month's ago, last Thursday I had to take her back to the hospital with related symptoms, the outcome is that to much damage from the related effects has been done and today I will bring her home, we will continue with her dialysis for the time being, but we will be bringing in Hospice care, she needs surgery to correct problems that this caused, but the Surgeons will not do it because they all agree she would not survive it. She and I have come to terms with this, we believe. I cannot help to question what we could have done to prevent this from shortening her life so much, but everyone in the medical community is just as puzzled because nothing has changed in her blood work even now, but she has very large pockets of encapsulated infection around her lungs that is reducing her breathing capacity.
So please get attention for your condition NOW.......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »

Zona, please listen to what your IHD familly members are saying.  Please be examined ASAP.  :cuddle;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
zona

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:07 AM »

:grouphug;   Ok everyone, You have convinced me,I am waiting on a call from my neph. I don't want to take any chances.Everyone here certainally knows better than I when it is time for dialysis. Thank you,and I will keep you posted.

Edited:Fixed smiley error - paris, Moderator
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:10:45 AM by paris » Logged

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:51:34 AM »

Good Luck, Zona....

My mum was VERY breathless in the few days before she began dialysis.... I REALLY thought I was going to lose her....

The sooner you're treated, the better!....

May God bless and protect you....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »

Glad to hear this Zona.  I've been worrying.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »

Thank you and of course post after you see the doctor.  I was really worried last night.  If by chance the doctor recommends that you go into the hospital please have someone post here for you so we can keep updated and not worry too much.
zona

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 08:49:44 AM »

Hello friends, I am happy to report that I am feeling much better today. My neph. put me back on lasix and yesterday after taking the first dose 80.mg. I peed. And continued to do so all day.The weezing is gone,but he warned me if it happens again to go straight to the e.r. My  bun is  72 and creatine 3.75 gfr 15. My blood pressure was up at 180/95. I am just thankful I can take deep breaths today,but I am wondering how many uremic symptoms it takes before the Dr. says enough.

Wallyz

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »

Demand that you start now.  If he won't call another nephrologist and ask them to start you.
MomInDialysis

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:36 AM »

don't call Neph, go to emergency.  This is what happened to my mom.  Within a couple of hours like 2, she went from not being swollen, just feeling not so good, to not being able to breathe.   GO NOW!

Let us know you are ok

Just Checkin - Debe
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »

I dont agree.....   I think that you should take your lasix and try to get lots of exercise..... I too get water build up and swollen ankles and sometimes fluid in my lungs..... but not bad.... When I take the lasix  this allows alot of the fluid to me removed.....as long as the lasix is working and you are going to the bathroom  then you will be removing water.....  I dont take my lasix every day..but watch my weight and the swelling and take some when I need to.....  I have done very well in controlling my water  and swelling with the lasix...... Dont panic......  keep your salt down to nothing  and doing more exericise really does help with the water too.....  sometime if I find my self sitting too much for too long my feet ,ankles will swell more than if I am up and about.....so give a few days and I bet you will have better water control.... The down side of the water removal is I often would get leg cramps at night ....  but when I do I know that my water is really low.....  Thats my two cents worth....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
zona

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »

I too get leg cramps on lasix. At one time I was on 120mg.twice a day. So far this dosage is working. I do sit a lot so I will try to move around more. I don't feel there's any danger right now but I am not taking this lightly.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »

My numbers are close to yours Zona. They have been for quite some time.  I did get my BUN level in a good area.  The lasix gives me leg cramps when it is working hard at getting rid of the water.  I have elephant legs some days!  Not a pretty sight is it?  LOL  Put your legs up when you can. But, do move around. I use a stationery bike to move my legs more.    The less fluid I carry, the lower my BP is.  And the flip side is, I can tell when I need to drink something, I get faint and know my BP is down.   It is a very hard tightrope to walk.   I trust my neph so we are working together on all of this.  If you like your doctor, then the two of you will know when the right time to start is.  Sounds like you are both on top of things.   Take care--we worry.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »

I dont agree.....   I think that you should take your lasix and try to get lots of exercise..... I too get water build up and swollen ankles and sometimes fluid in my lungs..... but not bad.... When I take the lasix  this allows alot of the fluid to me removed.....as long as the lasix is working and you are going to the bathroom  then you will be removing water.....  I dont take my lasix every day..but watch my weight and the swelling and take some when I need to.....  I have done very well in controlling my water  and swelling with the lasix...... Dont panic......  keep your salt down to nothing  and doing more exericise really does help with the water too.....  sometime if I find my self sitting too much for too long my feet ,ankles will swell more than if I am up and about.....so give a few days and I bet you will have better water control.... The down side of the water removal is I often would get leg cramps at night ....  but when I do I know that my water is really low.....  Thats my two cents worth....

I agree about taking  'water tablets' but i dont really agree with the exercise bit , as all you are doing is circulating the fluid round your body ! Fluid when it builds up will always find the point of gravity , which is why its always your feet and legs that swell first , by moving around you are just sending it to other parts of your body , its not actually leaving it !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »

I believe exercise is something that everyone should try to do, no matter if you have CKD or if you are just a normal healthy person.... Exercise will help so many areas including your lungs which will help clear out fluid.....  your circulation and most of all you feel better when you are up and moving.....  I know that when I sit too long  I don't feel my best.... and now with CKD I find that sitting hurts me more now than ever before.....  I use to drive long haul in a truck and put in many hours sitting and driving....  sometimes 10 to 14 hours per day.....  that can take a real toll on the body..... just walking and staying busy will help with water retention for me....  I see a big difference now that I am out of the truck......  So for me   exercise is a key player with CKD and my water retention control.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »

I agree about taking  'water tablets' but i dont really agree with the exercise bit , as all you are doing is circulating the fluid round your body !

If you exercise you perspire.  You can lose almost a kilo in water weight when exercising.

And then there are all the other benefits of exercising when you are a person with kidney failure:  Stronger bones, increased strength and endurance, lowering blood pressure, and a longer life.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
zona

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 02:05:42 PM »

Paris, I know what you mean about 'elephant legs'. Mine get so bad I can't bend my feet to walk. I do trust my neph. and have the same one for 16 years when I was first diagnosed. I have been at stage 4 for almost a year now.Since Im anemic and I understand most cdk patients are,I have been to tired to do anything.I have put on a lot of weight since having to quit work and I know the extra pounds are are not helping my situation.But how do I motivate myself when I get tired just by walking through the house.I used to be very active.I've tried the iron pills but they made me so sick! I have had 2 iron infusions in the past few months but can't tell a difference in how I feel. I miss the old me,I used to run circles around everyone!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »