I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hair falling out after surgery?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hair falling out after surgery?  (Read 3673 times)
Melissa

« on: October 10, 2009, 12:36:08 AM »

Hello!
It has been three months since my kidney became infected and one month since it was removed.
Also, it has been 4 months since I stopped the blood pressure med. Minoxodil which grows hair like crazy as a side effect.
Now, my hair has started to fall out in small clumps, and lots of shedding.  Within this week I have noticed balding spots and a lot of thinning - my pony tail holder falls out!  )-:

My Dr. said this could be normal from the med. change, illness and/or surgery(his guess), and is looking into treatment.  It will or will not be temporary.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Did your hair grow back?
Beth36

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:07:41 AM »

My mom's hair fell out some after her transplant. Her eyebrows really thinned out. I think it was from the prednisone but I'm not sure. She did tell me that it's starting to grow back thicker and it's even curly. She has stick straight hair normally and she loves that it's curly now...it could be from new or different meds, I'd check with the doctor. I hope it's only temporary!

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
Fox_nc

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 04:45:05 PM »

I had a major problem with hair loss.  Mine was determined to be stress - who'd be under stress?  The first time I lost over half of mine - the second time I recognized it was starting and stopped touching my hair which seemed to minimize the loss. 
When I lost it the first time, it also came back curly, like baby hair.  Since half of it grew back this way, I looked like I started to curl it and stopped before I was done.

No worries - it'll come back.  If you want a second opinion, try a dermatologist.

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Melissa

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »

Thanks Foxy and Beth!
I am hopeful that is temporary, and Foxy I have stopped touching it and wash it less often, as with you this seems to minimize it a bit.  I see my dermatologist next week.  Thanks again!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »

My hair was falling out after transplant and I believe they said it was due to the Prograf and/or the Cellcept.  Now that I have had both of those medications reduced it's not falling out anymore.  I had super thick, curly hair and now it's a little thinner, but also the curl on the top of my head has gone away causing my hair to look yucky!  I cut it short to minimze the "yuckyness", but it still looks yucky.  Hopefully the new hair growing back will be better.  So far it's not.  :)  I'm going to let it grow a little more and then go have a better style done.  The lady who cut it this time just cut it and gave me no style.  I look stupid.  I'm going to start using the Neoxin Shampoo (I think that's the name) so that my hair will grow faster.  Check in to that shampoo treatment.  It's expensive, but it might help you out until the falling out either slows or stops.

I feel for ya!  Good Luck!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »

I had quite nice hair before my transplant - here's a pic just months before:

Since transplant, although it is still quite similar to the above picture, it is noticeably thinner. I initially blamed Prednisolone also, but am no longer on it. Maybe it is the Sirolimus or Cellcept? I had some of it cut to get rid of split ends, and I don't seem to be able to get the length back either.

However, I do not have any actual bald spots and nobody would actually notice that I have lost any.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »

Mine is coming out by the handful.  I'm going to get a short little pixie cut until it starts to grow again.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:34:33 AM »

I'm a heavy metal girl. I need my hair for headbanging at gigs! (That may sound like a silly comment, and although I say it humorously, I'm also serious at the same time!).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »