I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Free dog - Bichon Frise Female/Spayed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free dog - Bichon Frise Female/Spayed  (Read 3724 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: October 29, 2006, 08:53:05 PM »

I have to find a home for this dog because I cannot keep her!! :( :'( :(

I rescued a female Bichon Frise because one of my boarding and grooming clients had been looking for a small non-shedding companion for her shih tzu.  She is beautiful , 12 pounds, born 12/4/04, very sweet, good with other dogs and cats, crated trained, and working on leash training (she used to live with a fenced yard and a "doggie door').

BUT, she is a territorial marker and the new owner refuses to take the time to train her -- that would entail walking her outside and then for one to three weeks, when inside, restricting her to her crate, a leash connected to the owner's belt, or a diaper.

Go to    http://www.akc.org/breeds/bichon_frise/index.cfm    for description and photo of the breed.

I can't keep her, though I would love to.  (We're starting NxStage training soon and I already have 4 dogs and a cat) so, she needs a home with someone willing to take the time and make the effort to teach her that the marking is not acceptable.  She is timid around people she doesn't know and appears to possibly have been abused by someone, but she warms up quickly.  I groomed her and temperament tested her -- she never growled or made any attempt to bite. 

She is already spayed (done 6/05), up to date on shots (due 6/6/07), on heart worm preventative, and Frontline.  She comes with a coated metal crate, bed, toys, collar, Flexi leash and duffel bag shoulder carrier.

BTW, these dogs sell for $500 to several thousand dollars depending on bloodline.  Under different circumstances I would foster her for a few months if necessary, but right now I just can't do it.  All I am asking is that you provide a vet reference and that you come pick her up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:05:38 PM by Black » Logged

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:28:49 PM »

Lorelle, where are you located?  Beautiful dog btw... ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 05:01:19 AM »

I'm in South Carolina, between Greenville and Anderson.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:42:03 AM »

Aww poor puppy.  I wish I could help, but I have 4 dogs + too many cats of my own.  Good luck finding her a home.   :cuddle;

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 06:09:44 AM »

Pretty dog.  I didn't think females marked.... I thought it was a "guy" thing. 

I just went to a book signing by Marty Becker the resident Vet from Good Morning America.  His book is "Why do Dogs Drink From The Toilet"  101 questions and answers about dogs. 

Wish I could help.....anyone want two MinPins.....They tear up stuff when you are gone.  Very cute (NOT)

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »

Pretty dog.  I didn't think females marked.... I thought it was a "guy" thing. 

I just went to a book signing by Marty Becker the resident Vet from Good Morning America.  His book is "Why do Dogs Drink From The Toilet"  101 questions and answers about dogs. 

Wish I could help.....anyone want two MinPins.....They tear up stuff when you are gone.  Very cute (NOT)

I'm babysitting a Min Pin mix, Lulu. She looks like a black and tan Min Pin, but she has large prick ears like a Chihuahua and a long tail that looks like a skinny bottle brush -- she is adorable and loves playing with my dogs.  My girls have toys all over the house and Lulu pulls the stuffing out of every toy she finds, but her favorite thing is chewing until she pulls the squeaker out!  Just when I think I have all of the toys put away (except the cow hooves) I walk into the house and find polyfil scattered everywhere!

Yes, it is more common for un-neutered males to mark, but almost all dogs will mark if placed in the wrong circumstance.  Because it is so rare for a female Bichon to be a marker I think it would not be that hard to train her.  I believe it is a symptom of her dysfunctional background and she's very lucky it did not alter her happy, playful disposition.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 08:06:17 PM »

Good news!  She has a new home.  A wonderful older couple -- already had an 8 month old Bichon.

Now I need a home for an 8 pound, 1 year old poodle mix, and her pup born 9/1.

How do dogs know where I live????  Walked my dogs this AM and 5 minutes after we came in, there's a huge Chow mix standing on my front porch wagging its tail wanting to come in!!  Poor thing had a choke collar on and about 6 feet of broken chain.  Grrr, stupid people putting a dog on a tie out with a choke chain on its neck!!!  I've made up signs to put up in the neighborhood and I hope either the owners don't see them or they realize how close they came to losing him and don't do that anymore.

If no one claims him in a few days I'll have to take him to the local shelter.  I really don't like having dogs in my facility when I do not know their vaccination status.  Poor guy, he seems really sweet, and with a bath and brush out he would be beautiful.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:28:29 PM »

Great news about the bichon!  About the chow, grrr, I hate everything about that - choke collar being left on a down, being tied out, being tied out with a choke collar...  Some people just don't get it or don't care.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:13:40 PM »

If the owner comes I'd tell them how to care for the dog and tell them you will be watching and turn them in to animal control if you see the dog tied outside. 

I'd probably get my dogs taken away because I spoil them too much.  They are always curling up in a blanket now that it is cold (house 72 degrees) so I warmed up rice bags for them!!

:banghead;

JerseyGirl

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »

My collie will be two years old this month - he was born on Thanksgiving 2004.  I love him to death.  He is absolutely spoiled rotten, but he's so beautiful I can't resist spoiling him.  Wish I could figure out how do download pictures - just got a digital camera and my goal this winter is to work on learning how to use it!  His name is Shane, he is a rough sable collie - beautiful boy!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »