I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  dialysis for fluid build up?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dialysis for fluid build up?  (Read 7258 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: September 21, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »

Hi folks, hope all are well and enjoying the Autumn weather. I have a question if you don't mind. As you may know my husband is 2x a week. ( M & Fri.) Today they told him to come in also this Wed. because he has a lot of fluid. His friend told me this, I guess he's forgot to "mention it". Hhmm.. Recently they told him some good news is somekind of # 72. I guess he thinks since that's good he still doesn't need the extra day.  What i wanted to know is an extra day of dailyzing would take the water out of his tissues more and so much just his from his blood? He had CHF and I know fluid is not good for that. What are some others good reasons I can convey to him on why a 3rd day might be better? He has slept    11:00 this morning and it's 9:30 pm now. Up to quickly eat and go to the bathroom. I have to say we had an uneventful simmer healthwise for a change. This summer was really great. I too, had a great summer. I don't get to post much much but I do read. New puppy has a little preoccupied lol. Thanks for all you do for me

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

Yes, an extra day for fluid removal is good if you can't get it all off during regular dialysis.  They will just pull fluid and not clean his blood which I think is STUPID but that is what they do.  My thinking is if I'm hooked up to the machine clean my blood WHILE you are pulling extra fluid. 

It is called a PUFF and I can't remember what it stands for.  Something to do with UltraFiltration which is pulling fluid.

I should have it done as I'm having high BP because I can't get all my fluid off.  I'll try again tomorrow.

He will breathe much better if he is having shortness of breath. 

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:30:56 AM »

Rerun, you're right. That doesn't make much sense. I've have learned that high BP (hypertension) is bad, bad, bad. Oh, the damage it can do. I hope you get your fluids off soon. You still have extra fluid even if following a fluid restriction or is something that is just starting to happen for you? Does the PUFF take as long as a regular session?

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:27:02 AM »

Firstly dialysis takes the fluid from your blood , then when it has got all that off , it slowly takes it from your tissues (im in the process of this atm) Although i pull all the fluid off from my blood  ive been told it takes a long time to get it out of your tissues and it only happens bit by bit. So one session for your hubby is not going to be enough. Obviously its time for him to do 3 sessions a week , like the rest of us ! Maybe if he forgot to mention other things to you , he's not actually giving you the whole story ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:37:04 AM »

My brother found out he needed dialysis in the States when he went for treatment.  They started it there and then he came home. They only dialysed him 2x per week and the nephro from the States said he would not last 5 years on 2x a week.  They later started 3x per week.
When you consider the fact that our kidneys do their work 24/7 (and do it efficiently if they are well), 3x per week is very little.  That is why I like the idea of nocturnal and wished they offered it here.
Encourage him to do it 3x per week.  It will be better for him.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:58:52 AM »

PUF stands for Pure Ultrafiltration.  It only takes off fluid, not electrolytes and toxins.  Some people have LOW BP, or LOW potassium, etc... They couldnt tolerate the extra "cleaning", so therefore the PUF.  I agree though, for the most part, if you are there, ALL should be done at that time.  The PUF can be for 2 hours and up.  Since it only removes the fluid, and if labs are OK, it is easier for your body.

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »

the more dialysis you  have  the  better  as  your kidneys  are  working  at  reduced  capacity or  not  at  all.

normal kidneys  work  24/7,its  not  the  hard  to  work  out  the  benefit

try  keep  fluid  to  a  minimum, the more  fluid  thats  removed  over  the years the  more  stuffed  your  hearts  gonna  be.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
LightLizard

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »

the more dialysis, the better. it's as simple as that. i do 10 hours of P/D a night and feel much better than i did on hemo three times a week.
i have heard that it's even better to do home hemo, nxstage, as far as energy benefits go, but i'm sticking with P/D for as long as i can.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »

What great information I get here. Well, he hasn't said a thing & I'm not bringing it up.I'm not going to be treated like a nag. He's old enough to know better. Guess he's not too concerened. I can't make him do anything. Like someone said "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."  In my mind I  know everything's not ok. Kidney failure/dialysis is serious buissness. Sometimes I think I'm in some wierd kind of denial too because he's still functioning in life so everything "must be ok". Then the reality of it slaps me in the face. I always worry if the next day will even come. He always waits until a crisis strikes. The next crisis could be lights out and that's just horrible to say but it is fact. This is hard on me at times. I'm starting feel comfort in coming here.

nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »

Patients oftentime say " I'm alright, I feel fine".  My answer is always, " you'll be fine until your not"...

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »