I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  any tips for a first time traveler
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: any tips for a first time traveler  (Read 3905 times)
d-man

« on: September 10, 2009, 03:51:17 PM »

I am going to a small clinic in fort bragg (northern cal). I do my own needles. I think everything should be fine but it's my first time going to a different clinic so I was wondering if anyone had any tips about traveling/new clinics?

EDITED:Moved to traveling section-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:19:11 AM by kitkatz » Logged
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »

Wish I could give you tips, but we take our machine with us when we travel. Love that freedom!

:2thumbsup;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Inara

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »

Ask for a copy of your treatment sheet from your home center after your last pre-vacation session (front and back).  Don't trust the clinic to fax it, carry it with you.  That way, the clinic you visit can get a general idea of what your BP runs during treatment and double-check your dry weight is correct.  It will also show your current lab values and medications. 

Have fun!!

*Primary Caregiver of Leslie, my best friend.  She's been on dialysis for 9 years.
*Dialysis Nurse for 9 years
*HUGE Sci-Fi fan!! (Yes, I'm a dork)
*Recovery from broken leg.....85% healed and that's the best it will ever be.....a slight limp is kinda sexy, huh?
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »

...and have all your "stuff" -  pillows, blankets, etc. Talk to the unit personally, it will give you a level of comfort. Let them know you stick yourself. Ask their policies regarding visitors (you may be more comfortable having friend/family sit with you when you're in a strange environment), food, cell phones, tv, etc.

Happy Trails!
Alene

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
d-man

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »

thanks for all the tips! I got a print out of all my #'s and it helped because when I got there the printer was not working right and so they could not print my #'s so they where happy I had extra!
It's been great up here (can't weight to move back!!) the chairs are wayyyy nicer than in sc and it's so friendly working with only 4 people,
being in the great redwoods and the open surf has been doing good for my blood pressure .... I would recommend this area to anyone looking to just get away
lizabee

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

I went on vacation for the first time and had no problems at all.  Davita did everything for me, found the closest center to our hotel and scheduled my time...asking me first what time frame I preferred.  I was able to get into the time slot I wanted and I felt at "home" at the clinic.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »