I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My feet tingle all night now
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My feet tingle all night now  (Read 3213 times)
bountyhunter_ga

I love to cook

« on: September 08, 2009, 07:21:42 AM »

Hello all, to add to  my despair about having dialysis , now my feet hurt all night long .

Neuropathy, they call it. When I ask my nurse about it she told me it was pre diabetes. Of course I disagreed and we argued a little. Why is it that every thing has to be some disease when you ask a question. I'm sure some of you out there in dialysis world have this problem.

After about 30 minuets talking with the nurse she looked up my medicals and said I had been tested for diabetes and was listed with none.

Why should all medical person jump to conclusions that have to be complicated, can't just be something simple, maybe a by product of the treatment or something.

I need help before I get diagnosed with something else on top of what they haven't fixed yet.

Moved Topic From Dialysis News Articles - Rerun, Moderator
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:47:18 AM by Rerun » Logged

Bountyhunter_ga
LightLizard

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »

nueropathy is typical for a dialysis patient and it is not necessarily indicative of diabetes. when i was first hospitalised for my issues i was in the renal ward and the nurses would come around at the same time every day to do blood sugar tests. the problem is, most of the people in the ward were diabetes sufferers, which is the major cause of kidney failure, so naturally, many medical professionals automatically assume that if your kidneys are quitting; you must be diabetic. such an assumption makes more asses of them than us. i told them again and again, 'check my file, i am NOT diabetic!!' as they pricked my thumb, or finger, with pleasure, it seemed. i had a feeling they knew but were just doing me for the practice . (yes, i'm a little paranoid, if you're not, then you aren't paying attention.)

i've had neuropathy in my feet for over two years now. you never get rid of it. i get the electric tingling after i do any walking. i think it's because the walking stimulates the nerves which are damaged by the excess toxins that gather in the feet. once those nerves are damaged, they never come back.
the worst is when it feels like my toenails are being pulled out. just the slightest touch, sometimes, and my feet feel like i've stepped in a bear trap. pavement turns to broken glass, after a few blocks.
but hang in there bountyhunter. dialysis has all kinds of surprises to share...

fun hey?
 :beer1;
Wallyz

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »

Uremic Neuropathy can be reversed after a successful transplant.

From  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1175425-treatment
\

Numerous case reports exist on the beneficial effect of renal transplantation. Nielsen reported that all patients who underwent successful transplantation showed definite improvement. Paresthesia disappeared within 1-3 months in mild uremic neuropathy. The remission after transplantation had 2 phases, with an early rapid phase and a late slow phase in moderate-to-severe neuropathy. Rapid improvement in nerve conduction velocity was noted shortly after successful transplantation. Renal transplantation reverses sympathetic and parasympathetic autonomic dysfunction in as little as 3-6 months after the procedure.
(emphasis mine)
Slywalker

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:20:16 PM »

Why should all medical person jump to conclusions that have to be complicated, can't just be something simple, maybe a by product of the treatment or something.

Funny you should mention that - for years every medical professional (before even looking at my records) has "assumed" my kidney failure was the result of diabetes. I tell them that is the one thing I don't have and never hope to have but please read my medical history and then you can start asking questions. 
Geesh!!!!

Good luck

:bunny:

Hang in there
LightLizard

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »

\

Numerous case reports exist on the beneficial effect of renal transplantation. Nielsen reported that all patients who underwent successful transplantation showed definite improvement. Paresthesia disappeared within 1-3 months in mild uremic neuropathy. The remission after transplantation had 2 phases, with an early rapid phase and a late slow phase in moderate-to-severe neuropathy. Rapid improvement in nerve conduction velocity was noted shortly after successful transplantation. Renal transplantation reverses sympathetic and parasympathetic autonomic dysfunction in as little as 3-6 months after the procedure.
(emphasis mine)

possibly. but none of this applies to those who are not eligble for a transplant, or who have decided against one. or, to those who have had a transplant fail, as a great many do, putting the patient back on square one.
;)
bountyhunter_ga

I love to cook

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:50:44 PM »

Thats probably the best news I've had in a long time. I new I could count the experience of you guys. I'm into this waiting game just over a year now with dialysis some morning I don't want to get up or go to work.
I want to thank all of you from whats left of my heart.

Bountyhunter_ga
Wallyz

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:33:16 PM »

\

(emphasis mine)

possibly. but none of this applies to those who are not eligble for a transplant, or who have decided against one. or, to those who have had a transplant fail, as a great many do, putting the patient back on square one.
;)
True.  I was just letting him know that this is not completely irreversible.  I don not know of any other way to reverse this.  My neuropathy imporves when my kt/v is over 4, but I dialyze every night, so transplant is more likely for Bountyhunter.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »