I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Me Time
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Me Time  (Read 2162 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: September 06, 2009, 05:45:05 AM »

Well 3 weeks on , still early days i know, but i seem to be getting over the trauma of Hemo both mentally and physically. What i want to know is ..how do you get some me time ? I seem to spend the days i have off catching up on all the things i neglected while i was so weak and ill. Also if i start to go out a bit , i will feel so guilty leaving the dogs and not spending time with them (they are not used to being left while i go for hemo yet and sulk ! yes sulk!.  I seem to spend the day off doing some housework , washing , ironing getting everything ready for the next day etc. I have to be up at 4.30 am to go to hemo so i cant leave anything till morning. The day off seems to fly by with no time for anything now. Maybe im just not organized ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:02:45 AM »

Hi KS...

Great to see you doing a bit better.... I was worried about you, and I'll never forget how good you were to me when Mum was struggling!...

About the 'Me' time... I'm with you... We certainly need it... I've become very good at leaving the phone off the hook, turning off the mobile, and disconnecting the doorbell... All I'm short of doing is welding the front gate shut, and that could happen yet!... I've realised that I NEED to get away from everyone and everything for a while to recharge my batteries...  Don't worry about the dogs... They have each other... You're a far better owner to them when you're well  and happy yourself...

Escape for a few hours if you can... Even go to the park and feed the ducks.... Visit the library with the mobile phone turned off... Do anything (within the limits of the law and decency!), but get a few hours to yourself.. Don't feel guilty about housework or ironing... A clean house is a sign of a boring woman, and if anyone else doesn't like the fact that their clothes aren't ironed you can always tell them to do it themselves!.. By the way, I NEVER iron... Only ever buy clothes that don't need ironing... I wouldn't know where to find the iron... Don't particularly want to know either.... ;D

God bless, and I hope you're soon in flying form!... :grouphug;

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:10:29 AM »

HI, KS.

Yes, it is hard! I really understand. And we do dialysis six days a week. so every day we have to schedule our lives around the process that keeps my husband alive. And THAT is really the bottom line. Because of dialysis he IS alive. So all the inconvenience is well worth it!

I hope you can get settled in soon.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »

My ME days are dialysis days.  No one expects anything out of me on those days, so I can do what I want.  If I want to sleep I grab the dog and we take a nap.  If I feel like going to the book store and hiding I do that.  My off days are for others.

marti824

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »

good question KS,  it's hard to get me time when you have a family.  I'm hoping to get a little more of it when my son goes back to school this week.  But of course, I still have my mother here with me, and she, like most, expects me to cater to her on my off days.  so I do, but there are times when you just have to tell everyone to back off.  Most of the time, they understand.

glad you're doing better, it does get easier, qlthough it never really gets better!

It's a holiday weekend, do something fun!
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »

I feel the same way..... my only me time is the four hour chair time.... I can't move but WTH... I can change channels for four hours and try to think.... sometimes I read and sometimes I eat -- not much ---
and I drink hot tea.....
when I am home I am tired after dialysis and I feel like I am taking advantage of being sick by sleeping...
I try to get everything done on Tues and Thurs -- Saturdays are days for football and sports my family does -- Sunday -- church -- which sometimes I fake feeling sick so I can stay home.... :pray;
I like to cook ahead on Sundays and freeze things for Allen and for when I do not feel good.
Pool days are getting shorter -- it has been under 80 degrees some mornings and the pool water is cooler-
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »

me time?  What's that?  JK.  Actually my me time is just being with the kids.  My son has just switched from having football practice 5 days a week to 3 days a week.  My daughter comes with me to every practice and we sit together and watch the boys practice from 5:30-8:20.  I try and bring some healthy snacks and we sit with the other parents and talk.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:02:15 PM »

I get a hot stone massage every week.  It's incredibly expensive, but it's so worth it.  I also go and get a laksa after it.  It's my me time.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 06:51:56 AM »

I agree that Dialysis afternoons(for me) are my "me" time and the hours afterwards... sometimes I can go out for tea and other times I sit at home having a cat nap (with the cat :) ). However strangely enough I also find "me" time when I go to work. That may seem odd, but at times I find the social interaction with my mates at work is a very "normal" thing to do and something that dialysis doesn't affect (well for 99.9% of the time anyway). Sometimes I take the morning before D off so I can sleep in, and I suppose that is me time too :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »

I love some of your ideas. The hot stone one sounds great but at the moment i cant have anything like a massage because of this bloody thing in my neck/shoulder , which is very annoying ! I would love a bit of pampering right now !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
ardyce

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:26 AM »

KS

Since you have dogs, walk them and enjoy the scenery.  That always makes me feel better if I can pick out something beautiful in nature.     :flower; :flower;

I love Hanify's idea "a hot stone massage".  I have to find one of those!       

Ardyce

Diagnosed July 2007 CKD
Diagnosed July Breast Cancer
July 2007 Hemodialysis
Changed to CCPD October 2007
Working full time , traveling a bit
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »

I even find me time in the shower. Sometimes I just take a long relaxing shower to rejuvenate.

There are so many opportunities. I think the real trick is to keep your eyes open to the pleasurable things, no matter how mundane they may seem.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »

Ha.. at the moment im deprived of 2 of the most relaxing things ! I cant shower because of the line in my neck and i cant bath because of my pd catheter ! And no im not smelly  :rofl; i make do with a VERY good wash down .

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »

I love some of your ideas. The hot stone one sounds great but at the moment i cant have anything like a massage because of this bloody thing in my neck/shoulder , which is very annoying ! I would love a bit of pampering right now !

I've been getting a massage from over a year and a half ago.  It that time (or during it) I had two different catheters - one in my neck, and one in my shoulder, I had a major op on my lung and had two drains out the side.  My masseuse worked around the various things poking out of me!  Also, I always showered - I just covered the catheters and tried to avoid them as much as poss.  My masseuse is what's called a healing masseuse - so she's really gentle when she needs to be.  I think when I was really sick she barely touched me.  Now I'm better she can go a bit harder.  If you can afford it I'd really recommend it.  A good masseuse will work around your various appendages!  Go for it.  It's lovely.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »