I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dismissed Patient in Texas
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dismissed Patient in Texas  (Read 18564 times)
plugger

I only look like a sheep - but I ain't

« on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »

DialysisEthics has been contacted by a non-violent, dismissed patient in Texas who has been blackballed by the clinics in the patient's area.  The patient is receiving dialysis on only an emergency basis, but it looks like we are rectifying that situation.  I'm posting this because many people don't know one of the things we do - get help quickly due to our contacts in CMS, the dialysis companies, media, and the legal arena.  It pains me think how many dismissed patients haven't known DialysisEthics helps with their situation, and what the consequences have been.  So I feel I ought to get the word out that we still do this sort of thing.

Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed, renewed in 2012 and 2019

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

On my tombstone: He was a good kind of crazy

www.dialysisethics2.org
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »

Please tell us more.  Why was the patient black-balled?  How can they deny services to a patient?

Do you have a link?                       

Inara

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »

Physicians have the right to refuse to treat any patient.  No clinic can accept a patient without a doctor.

*Primary Caregiver of Leslie, my best friend.  She's been on dialysis for 9 years.
*Dialysis Nurse for 9 years
*HUGE Sci-Fi fan!! (Yes, I'm a dork)
*Recovery from broken leg.....85% healed and that's the best it will ever be.....a slight limp is kinda sexy, huh?
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:20:44 AM »

what is the rest of the story
why was the patient dismissed
health or personality
please tell us more
plugger

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:14:49 AM »

I'll check and see how much more I can say - I hope you all understand why I've got to be careful.  We hit these situations hard, and we hit them fast when somebody's life is at stake.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:28:46 AM by plugger » Logged

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

www.dialysisethics2.org
plugger

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 06:17:14 AM »

We are pretty ticked off at this one, our understanding was this sort of thing wasn't going to happen again.

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »

what is the rest of the story
why was the patient dismissed
health or personality
please tell us more

That would be the big thing.  The rest of the story. Of the few people I have heard being dismissed they all did something more than once that caused them to be dismissed.
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »

I myself have dismissed patients, after much documentation about many incidents.  I have also been called about patients who have been kicked out of their clinic for various reasons.  They have (in my opinion) been justified to have been kicked out.  These patients are always reviewed with the Dr. and staff.  it is the right of the Dr. and the clinic to refuse a patient for behavior problems.  I'm not talking about someone who is just irritating or non compliant.  Something happened.  Repeatedly.   You also have to consider the bulk of your patients.  If I have an entire clinic full of patients complaining about the actions of 1 patient, then that 1 patient will have to go.  That 1 patient has already been moved to different shifts and days to give a break to the patients that are complaining about the bad patient.  These decisions are not made lightly, but do sometimes have to be made.

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
plugger

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »

That would be the big thing.  The rest of the story. Of the few people I have heard being dismissed they all did something more than once that caused them to be dismissed.

I've watched this for nine years and when it gets to the point Arlene is posting it on the internet, it is serious and I can't recall one of those ever being the patient's fault.  But whatever the story is, you can bet your bottom dollar DaVita and the network are getting the clinic's side of the story.

I'll post about it when I can, but the latest will probably show up on the following thread:
http://www.dialysisethics.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5603

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
nursewratchet

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »

I've watched this for nine years and when it gets to the point Arlene is posting it on the internet, it is serious and I can't recall one of those ever being the patient's fault.  But whatever the story is, you can bet your bottom dollar DaVita and the network are getting the clinic's side of the story.

I'll post about it when I can, but the latest will probably show up on the following thread:

I don't know hwo Arlene is, but I can tell you the ESRD network investigates these patients as well, very thouroughly.  My clinic has had the ESRD network ask for patient statements, from ALL patients.  The network always gets both sides, from where I've been anyway...

Vicki
Inara

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »

Nursewratchet, you are now officially my hero. 

(Since there are no further details available at this point, I can only speculate, so forgive me if I overstep any boundaries)

Some patients do NOT deserve dialysis.

And as a dialysis nurse of nearly 9 years, I've seen it all.  At my clinic, years ago, we discharged a full-blown AIDS patient after he pulled his needles out mid-treatment, and tried to STAB ME WITH IT!  Meanwhile, while waiting for the police to show up, he also attempted to injure other patients.   At what point do we, as a people, say NO!???!!! 

Should I be given a death sentence because this patient?  Should my other patients be endangered because this crack-head is angry?  NO.....

I'll say no more until further details are posted, but please realize that there are two sides to every story. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:09:22 PM by Inara » Logged

*Primary Caregiver of Leslie, my best friend.  She's been on dialysis for 9 years.
*Dialysis Nurse for 9 years
*HUGE Sci-Fi fan!! (Yes, I'm a dork)
*Recovery from broken leg.....85% healed and that's the best it will ever be.....a slight limp is kinda sexy, huh?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:18:06 PM »

Inara, all I have to say to your post is YIKES!!!!  :o

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 06:21:09 PM »

Hmm a post that mentions nothing to the facts.  Hardly meets the burden of something serious happening.

Non violent means nothing.  No unit needs to wait until violence occurs before throwing a patient out.  A patient makes continued threats against staff or others, throw their ass out period!
plugger

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 04:51:28 AM »

I myself have dismissed patients, after much documentation about many incidents.  I have also been called about patients who have been kicked out of their clinic for various reasons.  They have (in my opinion) been justified to have been kicked out. 

Do tell us what offenses are enough to issue a death warrant, if my daughter ever has to go back to dialysis (God forbid) I would like her to know what to avoid.  I do know the patient in Texas isn't holding staff hostage, but I will tell the daughter to avoid that one.

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 05:44:58 AM »

YIKES indeed re the HIV+ patient. That IS scary, and worrying and....

We've had a few patients I *know* the staff would have loved to dismiss, but I am not sure you can down here - or at least I do not know what the rules are (I might have to ask if there's ever an appropriate time). I have seen security called a few times, but I've never seen anything like the above. Clearly it has to be serious... and certainly if other patients (and staff) are at risk you have to think about everyone involved. I imagine here if they had a troublesome patient like that they would stick them in an isolation room. I am not sure.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »

I don't think anyone should be denined dialysis, but at our unit we are all adults, and people need to behave in a way that respects others.  I don't know the whole story, and I am reserving judgment.  However, I can imagine situations where a non-violent patient could make dialysis misarable for everyone else at the unit.  What should the staff do in that case?  It's a difficult situation

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »

OK I asked one of the managers at my unit yesterday about this.

She told me that here in Australia the public health care system *nobody* can be dismissed because patient care is required for everyone - no matter what. She went on to tell me that apparently there's a patient in Alice Springs (middle of the country) who is so aggressive/violent that the hospital has to send a security guard to pick him up, *sit with him* through treatment, and take him home... yep, 3 times a week....

Private units though can dismiss patients. She works at one sometimes and she says they have kicked some out for various reasons (but didn't go into detail).

I thought that was interesting given this thread/conversation.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »

I think it's the same here.  They have prisoners who come in with security guards for the whole time too.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

Sometimes I feel like a prisoner locked to the chair.  I just don't need any security guards.  Think I'll get time off for good behavior?
nursewratchet

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »

I myself have dismissed patients, after much documentation about many incidents.  I have also been called about patients who have been kicked out of their clinic for various reasons.  They have (in my opinion) been justified to have been kicked out. 

Do tell us what offenses are enough to issue a death warrant, if my daughter ever has to go back to dialysis (God forbid) I would like her to know what to avoid.  I do know the patient in Texas isn't holding staff hostage, but I will tell the daughter to avoid that one.

Since you are asking, here goes:  Try not to expose yourself and masturbate in the open, while in the clinic.  REPEATEDLY... Try not to make LOUD, and FIlTHY comments to both staff and patients.  Probably not a good idea to cuss at the top of your lungs, or throw food at people, whether staff or patients.  Don't repeatedly pull out your needles.  Don't have a BM in your pants, every treatment, either because you don't want to get up to go, or won't ask to go, and then refuse to be cleaned up or get yourself cleaned up. The smell is overwhelming, and by the time you leave, the chair is almost impossible to clean.  EVERY treatment, for a person who walks unassissted.  REALLY???  Avoid any of these behaviors and you should be good to stay in the clinic of your choice.  And remember, all of these behaviors have occurred in my clinics, resulting in being kicked out, and NONE of them were violent.

Vicki
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:44 AM »

Since you are asking, here goes:  Try not to expose yourself and masturbate in the open, while in the clinic.  REPEATEDLY... Try not to make LOUD, and FIlTHY comments to both staff and patients.  Probably not a good idea to cuss at the top of your lungs, or throw food at people, whether staff or patients.  Don't repeatedly pull out your needles.  Don't have a BM in your pants, every treatment, either because you don't want to get up to go, or won't ask to go, and then refuse to be cleaned up or get yourself cleaned up. The smell is overwhelming, and by the time you leave, the chair is almost impossible to clean.  EVERY treatment, for a person who walks unassissted.  REALLY???  Avoid any of these behaviors and you should be good to stay in the clinic of your choice.  And remember, all of these behaviors have occurred in my clinics, resulting in being kicked out, and NONE of them were violent.

:clap;  :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :2thumbsup; :thumbup;
nursewratchet

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »

I could go on and on.  The behaviors I listed were the ones not to graphic to discuss. 

Vicki
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 11:19:23 AM »

I could go on and on.  The behaviors I listed were the ones not to graphic to discuss.

i always wonder if people who behave like you described need mental help.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
nursewratchet

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:16 AM »

Some do, and some probably just don't know how to behave in public, or may do it because they are so angry at whatever.  Either way, they can't do it in public...

Vicki
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »

I would have to wonder why you would be worried about your daughter. At a young age you shouldn't have a big problem unless she is an out of control brat.
I'm all for using duct tape on patients though to shut them up so others can rest  :2thumbsup; (This was done in court that was on the news  :rofl; Defendant deserved it :2thumbsup;)

I'm with Nurseratchet, I would have kicked/dismissed those patient's too! ooohhh Boy, that strench I can't stand! Bleach smell would be my friend on that day, just not on any other dialysis day.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012