I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 08:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Swine flu: 10 things you need to know
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Swine flu: 10 things you need to know  (Read 4291 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 01, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »

Swine flu: 10 things you need to know

By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer Mike Stobbe, Ap Medical Writer 1 hr 55 mins ago

ATLANTA – Since it first emerged in April, the global swine flu epidemic has sickened more than 1 million Americans and killed about 500. It's also spread around the world, infecting tens of thousands and killing nearly 2,000.

This summer, the virus has been surprisingly tenacious in the U.S., refusing to fade away as flu viruses usually do. And health officials predict a surge of cases this fall, perhaps very soon as schools reopen.

A White House report from an expert panel suggests that from 30 percent to half the population could catch swine flu during the course of this pandemic and that from 30,000 to 90,000 could die.

So how worried should you be and how do you prepare? The Associated Press has tried to boil down the mass of information into 10 things you should know to be flu-savvy.

1. No cause for panic.

So far, swine flu isn't much more threatening than regular seasonal flu.

During the few months of this new flu's existence, hospitalizations and deaths from it seem to be lower than the average seen for seasonal flu, and the virus hasn't dramatically mutated. That's what health officials have observed in the Southern Hemisphere where flu season is now winding down.

Still, more people are susceptible to swine flu and U.S. health officials are worried because it hung in so firmly here during the summer — a time of year the flu usually goes away.

2. Virus tougher on some.

Swine flu is more of a threat to certain groups — children under 2, pregnant women, people with health problems like asthma, diabetes and heart disease. Teens and young adults are also more vulnerable to swine flu.

Ordinary, seasonal flu hits older people the hardest, but not swine flu. Scientists think older people may have some immunity from exposure years earlier to viruses similar to swine flu.

3. Wash your hands often and long.

Like seasonal flu, swine flu spreads through the coughs and sneezes of people who are sick. Emphasize to children that they should wash with soap and water long enough to finish singing the alphabet song, "Now I know my ABC's..." Also use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.

4. Get the kids vaccinated.

These groups should be first in line for swine flu shots, especially if vaccine supplies are limited — people 6 months to 24 years old, pregnant women, health care workers.

Also a priority: Parents and caregivers of infants, people with those high-risk medical conditions previously noted.

5. Get your shots early.

Millions of swine flu shots should be available by October. If you are in one of the priority groups, try to get your shot as early as possible.

Check with your doctor or local or state health department about where to do this. Many children should be able to get vaccinated at school. Permission forms will be sent home in advance.

6. Immunity takes awhile.

Even those first in line for shots won't have immunity until around Thanksgiving.

That's because it's likely to take two shots, given three weeks apart, to provide protection. And it takes a week or two after the last shot for the vaccine to take full effect.

The regular seasonal flu shot should be widely available in September. People over 50 are urged to be among the first to get that shot.

7. Vaccines are being tested.

Health officials presume the swine flu vaccine is safe and effective, but they're testing it to make sure.

The federal government has begun studies in eight cities across the country to assess its effectiveness and figure out the best dose. Vaccine makers are doing their own tests as well.

8. Help! Surrounded by swine flu.

If an outbreak of swine flu hits your area before you're vaccinated, be extra cautious.

Stay away from public gathering places like malls, sports events and churches. Try to keep your distance from people in general. Keep washing those hands and keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth.

9. What if you get sick?

If you have other health problems or are pregnant and develop flu-like symptoms, call your doctor right away. You may be prescribed Tamiflu or Relenza. These drugs can reduce the severity of swine flu if taken right after symptoms start.

If you develop breathing problems (rapid breathing for kids), pain in your chest, constant vomiting or a fever that keeps rising, go to an emergency room.

Most people, though, should just stay home and rest. Cough into your elbow or shoulder. Stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever breaks. Fluids and pain relievers like Tylenol can help with achiness and fever. Always check with a doctor before giving children any medicines. Adult cold and flu remedies are not for them.

10. No swine flu from barbecue.

You can't catch swine flu from pork — or poultry either (even though it recently turned up in turkeys in Chile). Swine flu is not spread by handling meat, whether it's raw or cooked.

Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

___

On the Net:

CDC swine flu basics: http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's FAQ's:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/cd/h1n1(underscore)flu(underscore)basic(underscore)faq.pdf

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090901/ap_on_he_me/us_med_swine_flu10_things

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »

Two pregnant women among 20 dead of swine flu in O.C.
September 15th, 2009, 2:07 pm · 35 Comments · posted by Courtney Perkes

flushotTwo out of the 20 local swine flu deaths were pregnant women, according to data released Tuesday by the county’s Health Care Agency.

Additionally, the median age of those who have died of complications of H1N1 virus is 42.5 years – much lower than for traditional seasonal flu.

Previously, the Health Care Agency had declined to release ages or other potentially identifying information about victims. But in response to a request by The Register, the agency agreed to compile aggregate information on the 20 deaths.

They range in age from less than 1 year to 77. In addition to the pregnant women, most of those who died also had an underlying medical condition, including cancer, autoimmune conditions, neurodevelopmental disorders, chronic lung conditions, heart conditions or obesity, the agency said.

On Tuesday, the Food and Drug Administration approved a swine flu vaccine, clearing the way for vaccinations to begin next month. Highest priority will go to pregnant women, young people between 6 months and 24 years, medical personnel, and adults under 65 with underlying medical conditions.

Health officials also updated the Board of Supervisors Tuesday on preparation efforts for the fall flu season. County reporter Jennifer Muir provided an account:

David Riley, director of the agency, said the county will receive the swine flu vaccine for free. The county will also receive $2 million to staff vaccine clinics. The agency is also working with colleges to set up vaccination clinics for students. Anti-viral medications are also being distributed to hospitals and community clinics.

County health officer, Dr. Eric Handler, reminded everyone to take simple precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.

“Cover your cough, wash hands frequently,” Handler said. “If you are sick, stay home until you’ve been without a temperature for 24 hours.”

For more information, http://ochealthinfo.com/h1n1/

Related posts:

* 1 in 4 Californians sick with swine flu?
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »

I new you would WIN. With that post today.    I still was surprised with the lack of availabe vaccine for people over 65.    And. We don't really know how well the vaccine will work. 

Thx for the post

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »

The cases are already starting to mount. This has not happened before - seeing so many cases before the usual start of the flu season and the drum beat of deaths among young healthy people (see this weeks CDC's Flu View). At least 30% of all deaths have been in people without a underlying health condition.

I recommend everyone read Dr. Peter Laird's article on KidneyTimes about Preparation, Prevention and Treatment (http://kidneytimes.com/article.php?id=20090909150812). You can also read what Peter and I have written over the last half a year on my blog.

I'll be presenting a Home Dialysis Central Webinar next Wednesday:
2009 H1N1 Pandemic Influenza
Background – Update – Outlook – Preparedness
While obviously from the sharp end of the needle it should be relevant to everyone. Here is Dori's announcement from the related thread at HDC
Please join us for the next FREE Home Dialysis Central Webinar! Our own Bill Peckham will share the knowledge he's learned about pandemics in general and H1N1 in particular--with a special focus on practical tips for YOU to protect yourself. Get the latest info!   WEDNESDAY, September 23, 2009
  • 5:00 PM (Pacific Time)
  • 6:00 PM (Mountain Time)
  • 7:00 PM (Central Time)
  • 8:00 PM (Eastern Time)
  • 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM THURSDAY - Western Australia
  • 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM THURSDAY - Melbourne/Queensland/Sydney Australia
Please Click Here to Register and Receive Your Log-in Instructions:
http://www.instantpresenter.com/PIID=E955DA8988

Win Door Prizes! Several companies who have listings in our Helpful Products Catalog (http://www.homedialysis.org/hpc/) have donated door prizes. Five lucky winners will be able to choose from:
  • ESBA LABORATORIES - Topicaine
  • GENESIS WORLDWIDE - Headsets
  • HEMA ASSISTANCE PRODUCTS - Hema Strap
  • MED ACTION PLAN - Pack-M-Ups for pills
  • SMITH BIO MEDICAL - Anacept skin and wound cleanser
  • THERAWORX - Theraworx foaming skin cleanser
  • VITAL REMEDY
    • Kidney Assist dietary supplements
    • Dialysis dietary supplements
    • Vital4 Cholest dietary supplements
    • Protein Bars
I'm writing an article and putting together a PowerPoint right now but I'll be updating right up to the presentation so I hope to have timely information. If you have questions ask away on the Home Dialysis Central Discussion Board thread. The HDC discussion board allows you to post anonymously but you'll have to sign in to view the webinar live.       
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:11:31 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »

Thx Bill.     Every webinar that I have attended has a wealth of information.  I look forward to yours.   Peters information is well stated and very timely.   

One question.     What do you think about seniors not getting the H1N1 vaccine right now.  I was surprised over this as usually they are included with most flu vaccines.   

Kathy

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »

The webinar is unfortunately during my son's football practice.  Do you have them up for listening after? 
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

Kathy,
It seems that with this strain, those older than 65 have some resistance due to previous exposure to a similar strain in the past.

The southeast is being particularly hard hit. School after school is being closed down. Right now I have one student and her mom down with the flu. In this county they are no longer testing for H1N1, but assuming that all cases are, indeed, Swine Flu.

I personally tend not be an alarmist. The worrisome aspect of this virus is that it is striking down otherwise healthy folks!

We frequently wash hands and have the children do so, too. They have learned over many years to cough into the crook of their arms. But this is going to come in from contact outside of school. Ugh!
I look forward to the Webinar!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »

Thx Bill.     Every webinar that I have attended has a wealth of information.  I look forward to yours.   Peters information is well stated and very timely.   

One question.     What do you think about seniors not getting the H1N1 vaccine right now.  I was surprised over this as usually they are included with most flu vaccines.   

Kathy

No one is getting a vaccine yet but you're right that in general the CDC is saying that those 65 and over are not recommended to get it until last. The CDC is saying that people 65 and older are not at high risk of serious illness.

It could be that people over 65 have some immunity from the 1959 pandemic but it also could be that this is the nature of flu. That it is a novel flu's nature to start in school aged kids and work its way up through the age groups, getting to seniors last. Kids get their parents sick and eventually the parents get their parents. No one could know the answer at this point but the CDC is acting as if it they some how know. I'd say they're betting they're right.

Each strain of flu is as unique as an individual hurricane. But unlike the many hurricanes studied over the last 100 years, we've only seen three pandemic flu strains. With so little experience with pandemic influenza it's not possible to reasonably predict what will happen this time. The CDC is only guessing.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »

No one is getting a vaccine yet but you're right that in general the CDC is saying that those 65 and over are not recommended to get it until last. The CDC is saying that people 65 and older are not at high risk of serious illness.

It could be that people over 65 have some immunity from the 1959 pandemic but it also could be that this is the nature of flu. That it is a novel flu's nature to start in school aged kids and work its way up through the age groups, getting to seniors last. Kids get their parents sick and eventually the parents get their parents. No one could know the answer at this point but the CDC is acting as if it they some how know. I'd say they're betting they're right.

I didn't say this correctly. The CDC is saying people over 65 are at risk of serious illness - if someone over 65 gets the flu they are always at risk of it causing severe illness - but the idea of having some previous exposure is that you have protection from getting sick in the first place. Previously being exposed to a virus similar to the H1N1 pandemic strain provides the same protection as getting a flu shot. The CDC is saying people over 65 are a low priority for the vaccine because they have some immunity from previous exposure.

What isn't clear to me is if you are over 65 AND have one of the underlying health conditions are you back on the priority list?

tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

Yes  that was my concern also....   People with high risk with medical conditions age 25 to 64 can get the vaccine....  but there was no mention of any risk group over 65.... I should would like to know the answer to that one.... I did here on Fox new today  ( I know but sometimes I do watch ) that the CDC has now said that everyone show have the vaccine to help control the spread of the virus....  One day this and the next day that....  its like the health reform bill.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »

Yes  that was my concern also....   People with high risk with medical conditions age 25 to 64 can get the vaccine....  but there was no mention of any risk group over 65.... I should would like to know the answer to that one.... I did here on Fox new today  ( I know but sometimes I do watch ) that the CDC has now said that everyone show have the vaccine to help control the spread of the virus....  One day this and the next day that....  its like the health reform bill.....

Apparently people over 60 - 65 may have immunity - here's a recent news story http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=16220.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »