I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  In a state already (UPDATE)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In a state already (UPDATE)  (Read 1954 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: August 31, 2009, 03:40:02 AM »

Im getting all worked up already as tomorrow i have my remaining stitches out of my neck . Why you may ask, as its a simple thing and not that painfull, i agree normally and have had stitches out before. The problem is that horrible doctor has put them in that tight. I have had one set out near my throat already and the nurse said she had never seen stitches in so tight and it was agony having them taken out. Now its time for the other set to come out and again they have commented on how tight they are in and that something is starting to embed in my skin (im not sure what). Now the area is incredibly tender to start with and i have no pain threshold at all right now , so i know tomorrow is going to be even worse than the ones in my neck coming out and im starting to get in a right state over it ..what can i do ?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:41:04 AM by KICKSTART » Logged

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Epofriend

This is what happens in Vegas!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:56:42 AM »

KICKSTART, best of luck with PALS like Rose1999 mentioned. Hopefully you will make (have made) that contact today. Also, the emla cream (topical anesthetic) is an excellent backup plan. If it doesn't eliminate the pain it may at least dull it to the point that it is tolerable. I hope all goes better than you can imagine tomorrow.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:19 AM »

Let them know of your fears up front and let them do something to make sure the area is completely deadened.  You will make it through! :cuddle;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Slywalker

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »

Kickstart - be sure and get something to numb the area - ask just in case it isn't standard operating procedure.

Hang in there!!!

:bunny:
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »

Breathe.  You'll get there. 

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »

Well today was D Day. As soon as i got into the unit and sat in the chair i burst into tears ,and seeing it was a male nurse putting me on , he just fled and got another female nurse (men eh!) As it happened it was the nurse who was going to remove my stitches, anyway i explained about getting myself in a state over this. So instead of coming back in a couple of hours to remove them she said lets get it over with now. She called another nurse in to hold my hand and said she would talk me through everything she did and would be as gentle as she could. My gawd , the pain ( yes i know usually having stitches out is no big deal , i had them for my pd cath remember) She said no wonder i had been in so much pain as she had never ever seen stitches in so tight and that the anchor had started to embed itself in my skin because of this, she also asked me who did this and said ..well she must have had it in for you to do this ! So i said i felt justified in reporting the doctor (going off what other medical staff had said as well) and she said she would be quite prepared to tell anyone that needed to know how tight they were in and how much pain i was in  :thumbup; No one could understand why i was in so much pain when they hooked me up , i think they thought i was over reacting , but at least now they do know why! Anyway im going to make a start tomorrow to see who i need to contact , i would do it today but im totally drained and my line area is nagging me, i expect its going to take a while to settle now and start healing.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »

I'm do glad this ordeal is over for you.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Slywalker

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:05 AM »

WHEW - another episode behind you!!!! 

Onward and upward - I hope.

Take care

:bunny:

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »

KS, as awful as today's experience was, and it sounds really horrible, I'm so glad that you had a nurse who validated your pain and your anger at the doc.  There's nothing worse that being made to feel it's all in your head or that you're a "wimp" when WE know that everything associated with this illness  isn't for the faint of heart.
So glad it's behind you and kudos to that nurse for her willingness to help you with a complaint about the doctor.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »

glad to hear it's all behindyou.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »

I know I'm a little behind, but I'm sorry you had to deal with this! My doctor never even took my neck stitches out. I didn't realize it until the gauze for the last time a while later and i could see and feel them under the skin. I did get a little infection, but antibiotics took care of it. I wouldn't let anyone take them out since the skin had grown over them. I didn't want them digging around in myy neck!! I just hope they don't cause any further problems since it's only been a few months.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »