I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Gentlemen start your engines
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gentlemen start your engines  (Read 6052 times)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »

My transplant hospital called today and I have my orientation meeting September 8th and my meeting with the social worker October 15th.  I have so been wanting to just start this process.  I have had 5 people asking when they can be tested for me.  I keep telling them not for a long while as I need to go through a long screening process first.   :yahoo;
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:17:18 PM »

Sound great!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »

:yahoo; YLGuy. Good Luck.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »

:clap;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »

:2thumbsup;   Great news!  Moving forward is a really good thing.  :yahoo;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »

And let's hope that one of your possible donors turns out to be a match!  :2thumbsup;

This is good news.  :yahoo;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »

And let's hope that one of your possible donors turns out to be a match!  :2thumbsup;

I am not holding my breath but it does give me a little hope.  3 of them are family and 2 are friends.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »

Ylguy,

In this department I can assist you.....
You do not know how "lucky" and loved you are. I only had 1 person offering to get tested... No family no friends ... just one complete stranger.

AND SHE WAS A PERFECT MATCH.

So ... what I am trying to say is... the chances are good that at least one of them is a match. (I hope so)
The work-up for me took a very long time as I spread the tests out over a period of 8 months (to try not to stay of work too long)
I still have to go for a few more.. the dreaded angiogram
But I have been on the transplant list for just over a year now.

I am thinking of you and I hope you get accepted......     
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:39:52 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »

Wonderful news!!!!! :pray; :pray; :pray;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »

Congrats, Marc!

Even if the tests take a while, there is a very different feeling to the wait when you are actually acomplishing something and getting those results collected. You are young (for a transplant candidate, you absolutely are!) so there may not be as many tests as you might think. When I first went to get listed at USC, all they required from me was an ekg, echo, chest x-ray, and renal ultrasound - oh, and pints and pints of blood. I was able to get three of the four tests done on the same day, and the blood work they should do as part of your initial eval when you meet the transplant team.

It is great that family have stepped forward as possible donors. Your odds of getting a good match increase with relatives. In fact, you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a perfect (6/6) match with a sibling.

Best of luck to you! Keep us updated!  :flower; 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:14 AM »

Great news!  I am proud of your family and friends.  Some friends and relatives have showed themselves so uncaring.  Hope everything goes well and you have 5 matches!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »

Does anyone know what is involved in the orientation meeting?  I guess I will call and ask.  I need to know how long I will be because I need to pick up my kids after school or make other arrangements for them.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »

Mine was maybe 2-3 hours. Several people spoke to us. Transplant co-ordinator, financial co-ordinator, question and answer session, etc.   I didn't know much when I went -- pre IHD for me!   So, I thought it was just going to be a walk in the park.  They make it all sound so easy.  You already know the reality and are prepared.  Let us know how it goes. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »

I hope all goes well for you.
We went to 3 different orientations (multi listed) and they were all different. One was just a slide show, another was a panel of patients and another was an overview by the transplant coordinator.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »

My orientation was 4 hours...I met with a surgeon, social worker, psychologist, nurse practitioner and had blood and urine tests.  They gave me a list of the testing I would need then sent in a Clinic volunteer who was near my age who got his transplant 4 years previous.  It was nice to meet him and ask him nitty gritty questions.
I contacted a large local clinic the next day and set up appointments for my tests...I guess I was in a rush...because I had all my testing done in a two week period.  I was listed a month later...was on the list for 15 months (they told me the wait would be 3+ years...but I have the goody bestest bloodtype to have when you're looking for spare parts. (AB)  Good luck in your quest!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »

I have been to five evals in the past 5 years (lots of moves, really particular about surgeon personalities, and multiple listings). Only two made me go to an orientation: UCSF (~1hour) and Northwestern (~2.5hours). UCLA wanted me to be on the other side of LA at 8AM and stay there for 4 hours. Oh, how I laughed!  :rofl; Until I realized they were serious. :-\

If it isn't too much hassle, I would make other arrangements for your kids. Because you are dealing with other patients, not to mention hospital staff who may be delayed, you don't want that added worry/distraction. Neither orientation that I went to started on time - not even close.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
phyl1215

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »

Mine was in two parts, first day was 3 hrs. and the second time was about 2 hrs. mainly waiting for the surgeon to arrive.  I wouldn't take kids, there is so much info to absorb, I had my hubby go with me and between the two of us we barely could remember everthing that was talked about...it's a bit overwhelming with all that info at first but you'll do fine....it's exciting.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »

That reminds me. I took a notebook with me and wrote down as much as I could. I also got a business card from each person we met with - which came in handy later when I had questions.

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »

That reminds me. I took a notebook with me and wrote down as much as I could. I also got a business card from each person we met with - which came in handy later when I had questions.
Great advice! Thank you.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 04:44:58 PM »

It was 2 hours long with 3 other people and their support people.  It was mostly a power point presentation.  Thanks to IHD I knew 98% of the material already.  We even had a test after-100%.  We then filled out a bunch of paperwork.  This transplant center is small with 1 transplant surgeon.  Only 1 person out of 5 who request to be a transplant recipient are eligible to be on their list.  They only accept living donors who have an emotional tie to the recipient.  She talked about their outcomes which I already knew about (why I chose them)
    *  St. Joseph Hospital Kidney Transplant Center patients have the highest one-year patient survival and transplant success rates in Southern California as reported on the 10 most recent SRTR reports covering transplants performed since 1/1/2001.
    * St. Joseph Hospital patients have 100% one-year patient survival reported on the 10 most recent SRTR reports covering transplants performed since 1/1/2001.
    * St. Joseph Hospital patients have 100% one-year graft survival reported on the five most recent SRTR reports covering transplants performed since 7/1/2003.
    * The SRTR has calculated that graft survival for St. Joseph Hospital patients has been “statistically higher” than what is expected based on patient and donor risk factors, for transplants performed since 7/1/2003.
    * The average one-year graft survival for all U.S. transplant centers is the highest it has ever been at 92.80% (as of 6/30/07). St. Joseph Hospital's Kidney Transplant Center one-year graft survival rate has maintained a 100% rating.

I then turned in the paperwork that they had sent in advance along with all of my most recent labs and original paperwork from my diagnose of ESRD from my hospital stay. 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »

Ok YLGuy, I am tossing out some thoughts here because we were at 3 different transplant center simultaneously, so I have perhaps a unique perspective.
I remember USC having worse numbers but their explanation was that they tried to help patients who couldn't get help anywhere else (particularly with liver transplants.) Ultimately that got them into trouble with UNOS because a higher number of patients died (again - liver patients) which cast a pall on their transplant reputation for a while. I think that's why many centers now only accept the healthiest of the healthy patients for transplant so as to increase the odds of success. I do not know if that's the case at SJ.
This is my opinion, but I think it's very short sighted to accept only "emotionally attached" donors. Most centers have evolved from that practice, and I might argue that it's even more risky to accept emotionally involved donors.
Anyway, I am glad you were prepared and it sounds like all should go well for you!  :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:37:11 PM by okarol » Logged

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »

The emotional attachment thing I just found out about today and agree with you.  This was my first encounter and am curious how this will al  unfold.  It is a whole new chapter in my life.

On another note.  I just looked at my profile and....
THIS IS MY 100th DAY AT IHD AND IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT THIS IS MY 500th POST.  :yahoo;
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »

Hi,

I am glad that it went well..... I will be with you on the rollercoaster ride....

D

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »

Marc, just incase this doesn't pan out due to the "emotional atttachment" and only accept X amount of patients, do you have a back up plan? Such as another center to look at with acceptable results.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
maritza0486

"Pple cant do evrythin but every1 can do somethin"

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 06:11:04 AM »

I am not holding my breath but it does give me a little hope.  3 of them are family and 2 are friends.

Hey, don't be so negative. You have 5 people willing to test themselves. That is truly wonderful and I am sure that one of them will be a match. I will pray for you. :clap;

~Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease at age 17 (a month before turning 18)
~Kidney Transplant from sister February 10, 2005
~Transplant failed December 2008
~Began Dialysis for my very first time May 6, 2009
~Put on Transplant List on June 5, 2009
~Miraculous phone call from Montefiore about potential kidney August 31, 2009
~2nd Kidney Transplant!!! September 1, 2009
~Sep. 6, 2009 Creatnine 1.1 ---- Sep. 11, 2009 Creatnine 1.5 --- Sep. 18, 2009 Creatnine 1.3
~May 14, 2010 -- Creatnine 1.0!!!! I am healthier than ever. 8 months since 2nd transplant!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »