I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I think I need to rant.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I need to rant.  (Read 4387 times)
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« on: August 23, 2009, 11:41:06 PM »

I went to boston recently. And while I was there for dialysis, they used the numbing needles thing. I don't remember what it's called. It felt so nice! I didn't feel a thing. At my center (it's a pediatric center too) they never even told me about numbing cream/needles!!! So when I went back I asked why they don't use the cream/needles. They said "I think it's stupid. It doesn't even hurt that bad." UGH!!! That just made me so mad! They don't know what it feels like! And of course when I get back the stick hurts like hell. I mean, i'm 16! I think we should at least be offered some sort of numbing stuff! I'm thinking about switiching centers. We're moving soon, so the drive would be like an hour away. I just wish they would offer it to us. It hurts so much. Granted my fistula is new, but I don't want to wait until I have enough scar tissue so it doesn't hurt anymore.  >:(

:rant;

I'm sorry if i'm complaining, but this just made me so mad! And my sticks seem to hurt alot, more than it should? I don't know.

I think i'm done now.  :thx;
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:20:15 AM by Brianna! » Logged
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:22 AM »

You are complaining just enough.  My fistula was made in April.  The side towards my wrist is numb and I do not feel a thing.  The other side is another story.  I make a fist with my other hand and wince every time they stick me there.  I never minded needles either.  I had donated almost 4 gallons of blood before I got sick.  The first center I was at said they did not like me using the cream.  My new center and neph don't see it as a problem and I use it on the sensitive side.  It helps a little.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »

I use the cream and I usually do not feel much pain at all -
use it -
the needles do hurt - I will send you the name of the cream if you need it-
your arm: your pain
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:26:32 AM »

I agree with Twirl . your arm .your pain. We have enough to go through so why not make it as comfortable as possible . Dont you just get sick of people who have never had this done to them ,telling you its not so bad !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Pam

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 02:33:15 AM »

At your next treatment tell the RN that you want a prescription for Emla cream. The generic is Lidocaine. You have to have a prescription for it and the nurse can write it. There is no reason for them not to give it to you!  About 45 min before your treatment put the cream on your fistula and wrap with saran wrap. Easy as that and you shouldn't feel a thing. My button holes are still pretty new so I still use a little dab. Why suffer pain that you don;t have to!

Pam

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:18:47 AM »

Your arm, your pain - definitely. I do agree that it is stupid when some nurse says "it doesn't hurt much" - they couldn't possibly know unless they are or have been a dialysis patient - and even then it's different for everyone. I have a pretty mature fistula(pretty good for a mostly imature guy  :rofl;) and most of the time the needles don't hurt but every so often we'll go for a new spot and yeah... it can get a bit painful (that's when I remind myself of the old saying "no pain no gain!" because I know it's good to use new spots and not just always the old spots).. still it's YOUR body and I think you should have a right to use the cream if that's what you want. Having a nurse say they think it's "silly" is fine but that's their opinion and they shouldn't deny you just because THEY think it's silly and doesn't hurt much.

(actually I think sometimes the nurses needle me in new spots to see the bizarre ezpressions I make when I'm in pain and trying not to make an in pain sound, so I contort my face into apparently silly expressions which give them all a laugh !  :rofl;)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »

My husband's answer to the nurse who said  "it doesn't hurt so much" would be " let me stick it in your $%^#@!^ arm and see how it feel!! Bet they wouldn't let you stick the needle in their arm!!  It's your arm and if you want to use cream to numb it so the needles don't hurt it is your choice!!  Lots of people at the center hubby used to be at uses it!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 06:36:02 AM »

Your center is not being fair to you. They probably think because you are young they don't need to listen to you, but stand up for your needs!

Try to get used to being your own advocate now so that you can take more control of your treatments as long as you need to.

Best wishes,
Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:16:52 AM »

Maybe Brianna needs an adult to advocate for her(that totally sucks!) like one of her parents or something... or chat to the unit social worker maybe???

oh btw we used to have a guy in my unit who was 42... he demanded a local EVERY SINGLE TIME - and he even cried when that was put in!!!! They all called him a big baby, but gave him the local anyway (he had other issues that contributed to that though). The thing is everyone's pain threshold is different.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:20 AM »

I didn't see anyone mentioning the name here so she can at least ask her doctor for a prescription for the cream.

I forgot what the cream is called, but the shot is called lidocain and that cream is made with that. If you get that cream Brianna, put it on ahead of time before that nurse washes it off you so quickly (I feel she would because she sounds like a b*&^%). That way the cream has time to settle in and do it's job to help you. Read the instructions for the cream when you get the prescription so you can time the effectiveness right.

That's my  :twocents;, well in this economy it really equals out to 1/2 a cent  :rofl;

And as mentioned before, get your parents involved to advocate for you for that cream at your center, that nurse is full of s*&t!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:29:01 AM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »

At your next treatment tell the RN that you want a prescription for Emla cream. The generic is Lidocaine. You have to have a prescription for it and the nurse can write it. There is no reason for them not to give it to you!  About 45 min before your treatment put the cream on your fistula and wrap with saran wrap. Easy as that and you shouldn't feel a thing. My button holes are still pretty new so I still use a little dab. Why suffer pain that you don;t have to!

Pam

Emla cream - generic Lidocaine

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »

Whoops, somehow didn't see that. Never lead a blind man into a fight is an old saying that comes to mind.

I hate it when I miss something! :rant;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Des
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 07:42:08 AM »

Whoops, somehow didn't see that. Never lead a blind man into a fight is an old saying that comes to mind.

I hate it when I miss something! :rant;

ehheheheh...... funny.......

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »

In addition to Emla, there's another cream I use called Topicaine, with 5% lidocaine.  Like everyone else said, your arm, your pain.  You have every right to request "chicken juice" as my one friend used to call it.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
*kana*

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »

Rant away, kiddo!

Don't you just hate it when someone says "it doesn't hurt" when they have never had it done to them! 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »

I'd would say ask her next time you go on how she knows the feeling of a dialysis patient if she is not one and at a young age where one should not have to experience this. Would love to see her face when asked :2thumbsup;

Or ask her and take simultaneous  :pics; of her facial expressions  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Just thought, this also fits in the thread "Ignorant Things People Have Said"

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Brianna!

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »

thanks guys! my nurses are usually very nice and caring, but they don't know how painful the needles are for me, and I reallyreallyreally want the cream/shot. I made my nurse sound meaner than she really is! She really isn't that bad. I usually can handle pain very well, but the needles, get me. Especially when the needles move a little bit and it bleeds, so when they take out the needles, there's dried blood around it,  it hurts so much!

I don't want to talk to her, so I'll get my mom to try and get cream/shots or whatever.

And exactly; how would they know how it feels? I hate it when people try to understand, and they really don't!

Chris; I'm probably going to post it in the ignorant things people have said thread! haha. and nice suggestion. I should ask her that!

thanks again guys!!!
 :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »

Because you are young they think you don't know.  Let them know differently.  You can be demanding with a smile and if they don't do it go over their head to your Nephrologist. 

I use the shots.  They sting for a second but nothing like the needle.  I'm a big baby!

Pam

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »

Brianna at you're next treatment ask the Nurse, Dr. or Physicians assistant if you have one. Any of them should write you a prescription and if you can't get a script, PM me and I'll send you a tube of the cream, i have some extra. I'm 58 yrs old and can't stand the pain. You are the same age as my GD and it would break my heart if i thought she was suffering when it was not necessary.

Pam

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »

First off, the person who said that to you shouldn't be in the medical field.  Telling a 16 year old Dialysis patient that its stupid to use something that could alleviate pain, that makes me ridiculously angry.

Second, if the staff continues to act this way, you are in a BAD clinic and need to find another one as soon as possible.

Why doesn't "Dateline", "60 Minutes" or any one of the cable news channels do an expose on what's really going on in certain Dialysis clinics?

Because somebody would end up losing money.  And we can't have that.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Brianna!

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »

I am looking for a new center, at least for most of the week. But some places won't take me, because i'm 16. When they hear kid they think like a baby or something, and the freak out! My grandma asked the dialysis center by her if they would take me and they said they don't take "kids." I like my center, because I have some stong friendships there, and I actually like the other patients!!! Since they're all teens, except there's a two year old, I love all of them. I love the two year old, she reminds me of my little brother.

I'm visiting a (different) dialysis center by my grandma tomorrow, to see if they'll accept me. How much of a pain is it to switch centers?

Major news outlets doesn't cover this because news outlets are informed about anything having to do with organ donation/dialysis. They should though.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »