I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Person who stands out in the crowd
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Person who stands out in the crowd  (Read 2728 times)
pamster42000

« on: August 20, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »

Have you had a Dr., nurse, family member or friend who went the extra mile?

One Dr. from Sarah's transplant center  he would talk to us like Sarah was the only patient he had. He never was in a hurry and would explain things so we could understand. I was really impressed with him. Unfourtuantly he transferred to a different hospital, but I will always remember him.
Pam

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »

MY Neph! He is the most patient Dr. I've ever had is always willing to talk about anything. He is the Director of my center. Yesterday when he was talking to me he knew my husband was in the waiting room and he offered to bring him to join our discussion. Since they do not allow visitors I thought that was pretty cool.

Pam
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »

Two nephrologists. The first one left, but he was awesome. He just sat with me while I cried. I was his last patient of the day and he just let me cry. He always encouraged me and made a big impression. The one that replaced him is so wonderful. He will call me personally to answer questions. He researches and asks questions so he can give me answers. He doesn't try to act like he knows all the answers. He contacts other departments if he isn't familiar with what might be going on. Right now he is working closely with transplant and endocrinology to help me feel better. I call him more than my primary care physician. When I call my primary doctor they always tell me to consult with him.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »

Have you had a Dr., nurse, family member or friend who went the extra mile?
No.

I've always had to be self-reliant--and ESRD is proving to be no different.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »

My husbands GP- he was so good with my husband. He would always sit down and chat for a few extra minutes, he was so open to learning about Jacks kidney issues,he had a way of reassuring him. Plus- when Jack was in the hospital for most of 2006, he stopped in every morning at 5:30- except for his days off, which he had covered of course. I don't think he had to come EVERY time, but he did. He would call me two or three times a week to give me the scoop. I have been meaning to write him a letter, and tell him how much his confidence meant to my husband. He is no longer in our area, but he is in Orlando- His name is Dr. M. Melton.

Rightside- I am sorry you have not had any one to depend on, but I am glad your self-reliant.  :grouphug;
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:19:52 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

My primary care physician makes every patient feel likehe is a family friend. And they all love him. Whenever I go for a test of any kind and they ask who referred me and I tell them, the nurses always say oh, yes, he is a sweetheart. And he is. And dang he is so little and cute too. But a good family man and a good person and a great Dr.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »

I love my dialysis center doctor. He is so cool. First center doctor that ever took a stethoscope to me and really will talk to me in a center. HE also gave me his home phone number if there are any problems. I have not had to use it yet.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
iketchum

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »

my nep in the VA hospital is awsome. When he sees a problem or needs some test everyone jumps and he gets immediate results. He also visited me when I broke my leg and was in the hospital for a week. He came in as soon as i was put in a room. They call him Dr P, his last name is Pathek. I guess i just now got the joke, Dr Pee.
pamster42000

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:54:10 AM »

Sarah had a very wonderful friend, Ray who would come and see her EVERY time she was hospitalized and usually he would have to drive two hours when she was transferred to her transplant center. You couldn't ask for a better friend.

He passed away in June of 2006 in a car accident. This was really hard on Sarah. The family named Sarah as " a sister at heart " in the obituary.
circleNthedrain

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »

I love my dialysis center doctor. He is so cool. First center doctor that ever took a stethoscope to me and really will talk to me in a center. HE also gave me his home phone number if there are any problems. I have not had to use it yet.

Are you sure this guy is a doctor kit?

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »

Our family doctor was like that. We had him for a family doc years ago and he gave up practicing to be the head guy at the hospital. he went back practicing a couple of years ago so of course we went back to him. Unfortunately this year he got a job with the provincial government.  Apparently the job was offered to him.  He told us that if he had known about this job he would never have gone back practicing. he had a lot of disappointed patients when he left.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »