I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:00:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Grateful for this website!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grateful for this website!  (Read 2718 times)
50Calabrese

« on: August 19, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »

My girlfriend was diagnosed with kidney disease some months ago.  She was told a while back that hypertension and diabetes could affect her kidneys but she didn't know how much.  She also has dealt with high triglycerides.  So much was on her plate and she was focusing on bringing the triglyceride level down etc.  She is working on diabetes by watching her diet.  Well, now she is on a renal diet trying to postpone dialysis/transplant as long as possible. 

There have been a lot of tears, anger, regret etc.  I am sure you are well aware of this.  She loves to go out to eat and that has been an issue.  Especially in Chinese restaurants.  They sometimes just don't get it about salt.  Especially the MSG.  It is like an insult to ask them to do low or no salt dishes.  I have been making dishes with low sodium, phosphorus and potassium as well as low sugar.  Going out to eat is a challenge.  I guess I need to let go sometimes.  I really try to control things.  Food is such an emotional as well as nutritional thing. 

I have already read some posts in the forum and I am grateful for people's honesty.  I have been to a class with my girlfriend that went over all the kinds of dialysis as well as transplant.  She is a very active person; she works full-time, is a musician in a band as well as does solo work, has lots of friends, family etc..  She is doing estate planning, advanced directives and all that.  She is including me in the discussion.

I look forward to learning more and sharing people on this website.  I just want my girlfriend to feel loved, supported and healthy and that she can have a full life no matter what.  I can't take away her feelings but I can sure be a grounded and loving force in her life.  I also realize that I need my outlets to stay strong and grounded.  [sigh]

Thanks so much!  Once again, I am so grateful that I found out about IHD.  My girlfriend told me about it.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »

Hey there, 50Calabrese!

Welcome to the site. Is your GF a member, too, since she told you about it?

She has many new issues to incorporate into her life. It is good that you are there as support for her and we are here as support for you.

:welcomesign;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
rocker

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »

Welcome.

There are many caregivers here as well, I am one.  Feel free to vent and not feel guilty.  You are important as well as "the sick one".

Read and read and read, you will learn so much here.

The thing I'm feeling really grateful for this week is hearing in advance about all the potential leaks and drips from the home hemo machine.  Before we got ours home, I insisted we go out and buy a cheap rug to cover the carpet.

Can't tell you how happy I already am that we did that!
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »

50Calabrese, Welcome, I am new here as well , but wow the information you pick up from here is spot on, the things people are going through. I am  carer for my husband and  I would say "all you people who are on dialysis are amazing " You sound like a lovely caring man.Keep positive for your partner. :welcomesign;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »

:2thumbsup; and  :welcomesign; Calabrese. Bless your heart for being active in your girlfriends are. You will find a lot of caregivers here. We are a wonderful informative and supportive group and we hope to hear more from you. Have your girlfriend join too. We hope she can put off dialysis for as long as possible.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »

:welcomesign;  and what a great boyfriend you are for caring as you do for your girlfriend.   :flower;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »

G'day and  :welcomesign;
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »

Its great to have a partner in life......   Doing home hemo together would be really great, and healthy.......  I am new my self .... so learning is a big thing..... The people here have a lot of information and experiences......    You found the right spot........

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:44:30 PM »

:welcomesign; I think it is just wonderful that you are so supportive and caring about your GF's illness. Post a lot and ask questions. Always someone has an answer for you.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 08:11:13 AM »

:welcomesign;   Great to see you here!!  You wrote a wonderful introduction and the founder of this site would have loved it.  An intro like that helps us to get to know you and the situation you are in.  There are many who would love to have a partner that is showing the support you are.  I hope this site can give you answers, some laughs and tons of support.  We are a very caring group and watch out for each other.  Welcome to IHD and your second family    :grouphug;   Post often and let us know how you are both doing.   :thumbup;

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »

Welcome to our community!  I loved your intro!  What a loving and caring person you are.  There are many who are here because of their loved ones and I salute you all. :bow;  You must check out the caregiver section sometimes.  As Paris said, this is now your family. :grouphug;  If you hang around long enough you will see what a sharing and caring group this is.  Your duty is to keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
50Calabrese

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

A heartfelt thank you to all who replied to my post.  I have started to read what people have written about home dialysis as well as transplant.  My girlfriend like the home dialysis the best because she wants the freedom during the day.

What a blessing it is to have this support!

Much love,
Sylvia
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:45:51 PM »

I missed your intro last week.  Welcome to IHD.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Maxridex

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 04:02:38 AM »

Welcome :)

'' Never give up '' & '' You will never walk alone ! ''

* ARSENAL FC for life *
* AVRIL LAVIGNE FAN *

Feel free to contact me on my msn.
matthew_as123@hotmail.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »