I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  The Obsession with Dry Weight
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Obsession with Dry Weight  (Read 9385 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 07:35:52 AM »

bountyhunter - you make a great point about having more control over your session. This is something I have often talked about. This is why I work hard with my team. I discuss my dry weight with them, my UF target, the UF profile(or lack of it) and other stuff like that. The more information you have is power also. The real key is getting the staff to work with you rather than just treat you as something that comes in, must be put on and taken off ASAP to get the next one through, etc (ie: not personal). I am fortunate that my unit the staff actually care about all the patients and do whatever they can.. and for those that care about their treatments(like me) they will give whatever info we need, and support us in making informed decision about our own treatment.. as they say "be part of the treatment team" - my take on it is "who cares more about my body and my health than me?"

I don't have a badge or a gun, but I do carry a big box of M&M's..... :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
TwistedKitten

I refuse to let the kidney disease define who I am

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »

Oh yeah I agree. I pretty much set my own dry weight and UF goals myself too. Like you the staff know that I've been there, done that and have half a brain(and take interest in my own treatment, labs and all that) so they just let me set up the machine with what UF goal I want, profile, temp and all that. I just make them write it down so they feel like they're doing something useful !  :rofl;

I like it that I have some say and control over MY treatment and conversely if I crash or have a problem due to a change *I* made well I've got nobody to blame than myself. At least I know it's MY decision and not that of some random other person. The staff though are really good with helping, like setting up to do a BVM to see how I am refilling and all that).

Have I mentioned that I like my unit????

I do the same thing in my unit, which is really nice because obviousley they don't do that everywhere. The only bad thing is at our unit the docs take FOREVER to change a persons 'dry weight' I was going in under what mine was supposed to be for like 2 weeks before he changed it. My nurses trust me to know what's going on with my weight and fluid gains, so like you, I drop too low, it's my own damn fault. lol

~I'm staring out into the night Trying to hide the pain~ Home by Chris Daughtry

~Life has it's ups and downs, its twists and turns. It's how we look at it and turn those things around, now that's the key thing~ Kevin Sharp

~Life isn't about the amount of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away~

~Think of each day as a special gift, and unwrap it gratefully~

~My meow is just too unorthodox for these kittens~
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »