I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Lehi truck show benefits kidney patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lehi truck show benefits kidney patients  (Read 2585 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: August 15, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »

The Daily Herald
Lehi truck show benefits kidney patients

Caleb Warnock - Daily Herald | Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:00 am

LEHI -- Truckers from around the West converged at Thanksgiving Point on Friday to display their concern for kidney patients and safety.

The 20th annual Great Salt Lake Truck Show opened at Thanksgiving Point on Friday and runs through today. Trucks big and small, old and new were on display, with a smattering of antique cars, too. There was an old Jeep truck painted bright yellow with huge eyelashes around the headlights, named Bumble Bee. There was a fully restored 1928 Ford Model A Coca-Cola delivery truck on display, and many more. The trucks are entered into 15 categories, ranging from cleanliness to quality of paint to quality of polish. Best in show was awarded a $500 gas card.

The point is not just to show off great trucks, but to reach out to the community. All proceeds from the event go to benefit the National Kidney Foundation of Utah and Idaho.

"It's a car show for trucks," said show founder Jeff England, who owns Salt Lake City-based Pride Transport. "Truckers love their trucks. The bigger issue is that as an industry we want to improve our image. We want the public to understand we are concerned about our image and safety. Safety is our No. 1 priority. We have a responsibility not to cause fear and trepidation on the highways."

Since its inception, the event has raised more than half a million dollars for the Kidney Foundation.

That money goes to sponsor a weekend getaway for 60 dialysis patients and their families at Brigham Young University-owned Aspen Grove each fall, said Richard Taylor of the Kidney Foundation. Participants get a rare chance to fish, play, hike and rope climb.

"Truckers oftentimes have a reputation," Taylor said. "This event allows you to see and understand the goodness of truckers caring about others and giving opportunities the children wouldn't have otherwise."

Justin and Michelle Call of Layton brought their two children to the event. Justin Call said he works as a trucker, and the opportunity to see great trucks appealed to him.

"It's nice to see all the beefed-up trucks," he said. "It's cool to show the kids."

Five-year-old Kenndell Call said her favorite part of the show was "the fire truck. It had lots of cool things."

Michael Most of Peoria, Ariz., drove his bright yellow semi-trailer truck to the event. He said he'd never entered this truck contest before and the idea appealed to him. Named "Legends and Heroes," the truck boasted large murals of M&Ms chocolate candies, the Twin Towers in New York City with a U.S. flag, and various cartoon characters.

"They are just for fun," Most said. "I like fun things."

For information on the National Kidney Foundation of Utah and Idaho, call 800-869-5277 or visit KidneyUT.org.

If you go:

Great Salt Lake Truck Show

10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Thanksgiving Point Electric Park

$5 for adults, children free

http://heraldextra.com/news/local/article_9227818d-d347-54de-9490-c89aae2b632d.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »

We do love our trucks.... my husband built this truck back in 2001 and is still out driving, going to shows, talking to other drivers about the transportation industry and how things have changed over the last 40 years.... He often shows other drivers the benefits of having a big sleeper with built- in shower, complete bathroom, washer and dryer, refrigerator with ice makers, satellite TV with surround sound, and many more creature comforts of home.... Its just like a RV.... holding tanks and all.......He  (we) owns his own trucking company ( Pioneer Pacific, Inc )  and is very proud of his accomplishments over the last 40 years..  I am proud to see the Lehi truck show benefiting kidney patients.... you know until I developed CKD  I really never paid much attention to the cause......   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »

Shower, washer/dryer, satellite! Wow that sounds great. Nice truck, thanks for posting a pic!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »

Story could have used a few pictures of the trucks  ;D, but I'm a car guy  ;D We had acar show that was bringing awareness of donation due to a kids need for a transplant a couple months ago.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:11:31 PM »

Chris        you can see pictures  here

www.saltlaketruckshow.com/details.php

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

Tyefly, what an incredible truck!  I bet Sluff would love to be driving something like that.   :2thumbsup;  Tell you husband we love his truck.   :clap;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56:33 PM »

Thx  Paris.....     I did not know who Sluff was  so I did a little research..... now I know.....   He is out spending some time with his trainer  at CR England......   I remember when I first started driving and was with a trainer..... I didnt know alot and had never been back east before......  That was quiet a experience......  I was very glad that was over.... and driving with husband was way better.....   I will look forward to hearing about some of the stories he will have ..... Life is a adventure on the big roads  and then there is the scale house.........

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »

We have decided to go to the Lehi truck show next year  and represent  IHD  and show our truck......    why not....  we have not been to this show before but it would be great to have some people aware of IHD and how this web site has helped so many people.....  Anyway.... should be fun....  we will do some graphics      to be determined later    on the truck later this year.....    Winter the truck is parked anyway  and hubby comes home  and    usually drives me crazy for several months......       

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »

tyefly, What a wonderful idea!   Please keep us informed as time goes on.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 12:39:03 AM »

Well  its the beginning of the year and the truck shows are coming up..... we still want to do this show and put in some great words about IHD.......   Do  I need permission from anyone here on IHD to use their name....  We were thinking some graphics or something.....    maybe make up some business cards  to visit IHD....and hand them out at the show.....  not sure yet .... still coming up with some ideas..... Maybe Bill at DSEN would like a plug..........LOL

Admin....let me know about the legal stuff if any.....thx   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:45:18 AM by tyefly » Logged

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »

Tyefly there is a brochure you can download of the IHD website. I will look for the link and post it here. I have left a few at my nephrologist office >:D

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »

Tyefly,
The flyer, not brochure is located at http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=438.msg2720#msg2720 where you can download it.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »

I drive for CR England the other Company owned by England and although I didnt hear about this before now, I know that we do have a sponsorship in  Donor awareness. I know our company is active in that area. Awesome.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »

Sounds like a go.......  Ok    lets get more chrome    and paint......   we already have two sets of train horns   how many are legal.....LOL..... 

thx  guys......  we should have fun..... we know some of those people with those fancy trucks..... we will try to keep up with the big rigs.......LOL..

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »