I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Wheelchair Discussions
| | |-+  Wheelchair user and transportation issues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wheelchair user and transportation issues  (Read 9800 times)
Everlasting

our community

« on: August 13, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »

Hello:  I am a wheelchair user and when fatigue gets the best of me I have to turn to my partner (in need of live kidney) for his assistance to push the chair.
     Now that his kidney function is at a dangerous level & due to the fact that energy is a problem we find ourselves restricted in social activities.
      I don't know what we will do should he have to go the dialysis route as I cannot depend on being with him and assist in the process.  Actually, the situaiton leads us to think that clinic dialysis is the only choice.
     Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can best cope with dialysis at home & my being able to provide needed assistance?  Initially Victor thought he would want to receive dialysis at the clinic however after a tour he has decided that home dialysis is his current choice.
Everlasting
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:13:25 AM by Everlasting » Logged
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »

Well, speaking from personal experience I think PD is completely doable by the PD person.  My husband does help me with stuff, but I am completely capable of doing it all myself.  So, you would be there to help, as with most things I would imagine, but you don't have to be in charge.  Have they talked about the possibility of PD instead of Haemo?

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Everlasting

our community

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:14:57 AM »

Hello, Hanifys:  I have just taken a moment out to scan messages received as well as posted.....in the process I realized I had missed your note on my (disabled person) being the primary caregiver for my partner Victor. 
     Can you kindly provide me with information that compelled you to ask if Victor was on PD vs. Haemo dialysis?   Is one more desirable when the major portion of treatment is on the shoulders of the recipient?
In Wellness
Everlasting (Melanie)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 05:29:19 AM »

I think that PD (if it is a viable option for him physically) is easier to master by oneself but hemo is also doable, pretty much alone, if one has the requisite determination.  I did hemo at a self-care clinic and I was nurse free pretty much totally.  He will need someone there (you) for emergency situations.
Have a look at Bill Peckham's posts or Meinuk's blog journey to see how they handled things.  We don't have Nxstage in Canada but even the machines we do have are possible for one person to manage.  The patient must be mentally capable and physically self-reliant but doable it certainly is and some here have or indeed managing home hemo alone.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »

It is different in each country, and I am in New Zealand, so can only say what happens here.  All efforts are made here so that people do dialysis at home.  So, if it's possible they always start people on PD.  It is very easy for people to do, even if they live by themselves.  But over here we also allow people to do nxstage or night time haemo by themselves, so we're a bit different.  Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier.  Got a bit backlogged and have just caught up!  PM me if you have any questions.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »