I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:37:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Have you ever sponsored a child?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have you ever sponsored a child?  (Read 7388 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: October 12, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

Where, when, what did you do?  I'm considering doing this through a non-profit agency that does adoption and charitable work in several countries.  Through their program it's like $25.00 per month.  Anyone else?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
AlasdairUK

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 03:48:38 PM »

I donate to Oxfam in the UK that help developing nations. They strive to allow people living in poverty to be able to achieve for themselves. The idea is not just to hand out aid, but to create self reliance. All good in theory.

There are many good causes, pick yours and go with it.

I think the benefits of adopting a child are that you get to have more impact on one person and see direct benefits. That one person who gets educated because of you may then be able to help his brothers and sisters. So do not think of it as just one person.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »

Where, when, what did you do?  I'm considering doing this through a non-profit agency that does adoption and charitable work in several countries.  Through their program it's like $25.00 per month.  Anyone else?

How about sponsoring a child in YOUR country first (I say this because you are in the USA). Let's help our own first. (flame suit ON)  >:D http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=org_US_programs There are a lot of kids that can be supported in the USA. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for the kids in other countries but I believe charity should start at home.  :thumbup;

HEY! maybe we as a site, some of us could put in a few bucks every month and we could support a child. And we could have an official thread with updates on the child. I would collect the money via Paypal and then send it to www.feedthechildren.com if they offer single child sponsorship if not we can adopt a child in another country. Just a thought, what does everyone else think? This could be something wonderful for us to share in.

Let me know what you guys think?

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 04:15:42 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 04:30:37 PM »

I think the idea of the site sponsoring a child is a great idea!

As far as helping "one of my own," I understand where you are coming from, but I look at all the children of the world as having equal value and equally deserving of basic provisions, and the majority (if not all?) of the children in the US are entitled to Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, etc. whereas in many countries they depend on whatever they can beg or scavenge for, or what the charities give them. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:33:56 PM »

I donate to Oxfam in the UK that help developing nations. They strive to allow people living in poverty to be able to achieve for themselves. The idea is not just to hand out aid, but to create self reliance. All good in theory.

I like that, it sounds like a charity called Heifer International, where they provide farm animals and training to families, so rather than cash they get food, a product to sell (milk, eggs, wool), and the ability to build a flock.  I support them when I can.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 04:41:08 PM »

I think the idea of the site sponsoring a child is a great idea!

As far as helping "one of my own," I understand where you are coming from, but I look at all the children of the world as having equal value and equally deserving of basic provisions, and the majority (if not all?) of the children in the US are entitled to Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, etc. whereas in many countries they depend on whatever they can beg or scavenge for, or what the charities give them. 

You do have a good point: "and the majority (if not all?) of the children in the US are entitled to Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, etc. whereas in many countries they depend on whatever they can beg or scavenge for, or what the charities give them"

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 06:50:40 PM »

...the majority (if not all?) of the children in the US are entitled to Medicaid, WIC, food stamps, etc. ...

Theoretically, yes they are, but in reality there are children in the US who are cold in the winter and hungry year round -- most due to parental neglect.  My friend teaches in a Title I school -- she has horror stories you wouldn't believe.  She had to visit every home of 40 kids getting ready to start school.  Kids living in filth, flea infested nasty, stained carpet, crusty dried vomit on the floor, and some of the worst had plasma TV's or wall to wall sound systems.  She regularly sees kids coming to school poorly dressed, hungry, and dirty while the mother has expensive manicures and salon hairdos.  There also are families and single parents who work hard and do all of the right things, but do not qualify for any kind of aid and their kids do suffer.

My parent's church has a "clothes closet", food pantry, and cash account used to purchase "gift cards".  It's a small town so it's easy to identify the kids and families who need help.

One of my friends (who is NOT rich) used to take an extra kid with her before school started and buy all of their school supplies.  Her kids used to invite the kids who never got to go on trips to go with them.  One year she bought a cheerleaders entire uniform because she knew it would be a hardship on her family -- only the cheerleading coach knew who paid for it -- her family was told it was a secret scholarship.

I have helped a family who would not accept "charity" -- nothing new and definitely no $$$, but they would accept "cast offs" which I no longer wanted to use, so I bought them used clothing and linens at the local Hospice Thrift Shop and passed them off as my old things.

When you give through an organization it's hard to know where the $$$ go.  If you help a family in your own church, your own town, or your kid's school, you see where the $$$ go and there's no one in the middle keeping a % for themselves. :twocents;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
vandie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:52:34 PM »

How about sponsoring a child in YOUR country first (I say this because you are in the USA). Let's help our own first. (flame suit ON)  >:D http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=org_US_programs There are a lot of kids that can be supported in the USA. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for the kids in other countries but I believe charity should start at home.  :thumbup;

HEY! maybe we as a site, some of us could put in a few bucks every month and we could support a child. And we could have an official thread with updates on the child. I would collect the money via Paypal and then send it to www.feedthechildren.com if they offer single child sponsorship if not we can adopt a child in another country. Just a thought, what does everyone else think? This could be something wonderful for us to share in.

Let me know what you guys think?

- Epoman
Owner/Admin

I like that idea.  I would be happy to contribute to a worthy cause.  I have only read good things about Feed the Children.

Life is the journey, not the destination.