I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  H1N1 Influenza (Swine Flu) and Dialysis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: H1N1 Influenza (Swine Flu) and Dialysis  (Read 9694 times)
napala turki

Have to plan for living

« on: August 12, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »

In my country Malaysia now is fighting hard against this virus, lates news just 44 was death, and the number are counting up. All goverment hospital was full with this type of patients.

I was told people like us the ESRF, has the most chances to be effective, I'm not sure about it, this morning the nurse mentioned to me that one of the dialysis patient's wife has been effected, now laying down in the Gen Hospital...

Dont know what nexts will happen.... PREVENTINE is better then cure.... so just take care..

How about in your area..... kindly share. :cuddle;
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

Our flu season really dont start for a few more months..... even though I think there are several people here in the US that have had the virus.....  Has your courtry given advice on dealing with this.... are people doing anything different....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:11 PM »

In my country Malaysia now is fighting hard against this virus, lates news just 44 was death, and the number are counting up. All goverment hospital was full with this type of patients.

I was told people like us the ESRF, has the most chances to be effective, I'm not sure about it, this morning the nurse mentioned to me that one of the dialysis patient's wife has been effected, now laying down in the Gen Hospital...

Dont know what nexts will happen.... PREVENTINE is better then cure.... so just take care..

There have been over 432 confirmed deaths in the US, the papers have reported 18 new US deaths in the last 2 days. It's summer here! There should be no flu cases this time of year let alone deaths among health people in the prime of their lives.

It is going to be a very bad flu season in the US. People with CKD are at increased risk to catch H1N1 and if someone with CKD does catch H1N1 it is more likely to be severe. Keep us up to date on what is happening in Malaysia turki. When does your flu season normally peak?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »

Bill
 Do you have more information for us to help us prepare for the flu season.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »

One of my friends, here in sunny California, who is maybe 45, has just been diagnosed with swine flu.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »

Over here there have only been deaths of people who had other problems - usually to do with breathing.  No kidney patients here ahve died. We're almost through our flu season now.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:28:49 AM »

South Africa has had only 3 confirmed deaths..... one super healthy guy aged 22.. he got a lung infection.

Lots and lots of people have it though .... our docs do not test every flue case .... I think I might have had it when I had my SVT in ICU two weeks ago... who knows.

All the kids in the schools are forced to wear maskes if they have even mild flue symptoms so they do not infect others..... weird stuff.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
draven

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:38:26 AM »

I was in hospital 2 weeks ago. shared a ward with a guy for 2 hours who was diagnosed with pneumonia. later found out he had swine flu. so they put him in isolation ward.  ???

who's idea was it to put a suspected swine flu patient with another patient on immunosuppresents in the same ward.

Des
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:03:01 AM »

Thats bad!

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
draven

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:22:05 AM »

It is. what i found really disturbing is the joking attitude of the docs and nurses when they told me.
i actually got the flu a week later. but im sure it was from my nephew. im just about over it now. so
dont think it was swine flu.
LightLizard

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:38:19 AM »

i'm pretty sure that i had H1Ni over the past month. i had all of the symptoms, but my doctors avoided the task of actually diagnosing me. probably a good thing. if they had hospitalised me, i probably would have been killed by their treatments. they gave me two weeks of antibiotics so it wouldn't progress into pneumonia. luckily, my immune system still has a little bit of punch to it.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »

Most people here are supposed to get the vaccine for H1N1 next month.  They think about 75% of the people will get the vaccine.  Nobody has died in Newfoundland from it.  Only a couple of people have been hospitalized.   

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »

Most people here are supposed to get the vaccine for H1N1 next month.  They think about 75% of the people will get the vaccine.  Nobody has died in Newfoundland from it.  Only a couple of people have been hospitalized.

What I'm seeing in the US is the CDC moving its message from the first H1N1 vaccines doses in mid October to early November BUT you need two shots to receive immunity (assuming it works) and the second dose is planned, if all goes well, January. This means that no one will have vaccine induced immunity until January at the earliest.

You will hear about getting a SEASONAL vaccine shot in the next month. I'll probably get it BUT that will not help you against H1N1 and looking at the S Hemisphere there is very little seasonal flu circulating. Almost all - over 90% - of confirmed flu cases are H1N1.

Over here there have only been deaths of people who had other problems - usually to do with breathing.  No kidney patients here ahve died. We're almost through our flu season now.

I don't know about that Hanify. The latest update indicates cases are declining but flu always ebbs and flows. It will be very good news if NZ has seen the worst of it.

Bill
 Do you have more information for us to help us prepare for the flu season.....
One thing everyone on dialysis should make sure they have right now is the ability to be sick at home. At LightLizard said - you are not going to want to go to the hospital. The question is will your dialysis unit allow you to dialyze if you are showing flu like symptoms? NKC units want you to come to dialysis and are prepared to dialyze their patient but I am very worried that is the exception rather than the rule.

We should all have the ability to feed ourselves during a period when we can't dialyze. The Emergency Diet. If you don't have this at home now, go out and get it today. I have Coast Guard emergency rations myself. They are renal friendly, store forever and can be eaten without preparation. Whatever you need you need to get it right now.

You will also want to have the ability to take your blood pressure, your temperature and your weight.

After you have what you might need were you to get sick and have to stay home then I would think about how you are going to avoid getting sick in the first place. Have enough food on hand so you don't have to go to the store when cases are peaking in your community. If you can find respirators or masks get a bunch because you'll want them over a period of months.

If you rely on funded transportation to get to and from dialysis then you are especially vulnerable to people not showing up to work. Think about how you will get to dialysis if your normal method is not available.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:28:59 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »

Yes, here they stopped actually diagnosing a while back, and just told people to stay home.  So no one knows whether they had swine flu or not.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »

Here's what Australia's H1N1 numbers look like in historical perspective

I don't know what people are expecting to happen in the US in two months.

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

Hubby does home hemo so getting to dialysis won't be a problem.  Hopefully he won't get the H1N1 but I am a teacher and I am sure it will be in our school system before the year is over.He'll probably have me wearing a mask around the house!!! Luckily we both wash our hands a lot.  I am just hoping that the parents have enough sense to keep their children home if they have flu symptoms.  Teachers are some of the worse people for coming to school sick!! (Not me!!!) Hopefully they will stay home as well.  The school boards here are supposed to be developing a plan for an outbreak. Also supposed to be info going home to parents in the fall as well as training sessions for students on proper handwashing etc.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:55:04 PM »

My understanding has always been that people don't die so much from the flu as the respitory problems, especially pneumonia. I am supposedly especially susceptible to death from pneumonia, since my spleen was removed as part of standard protocol during my transplant in 1976.

I get pneumovax injections every five years, as everyone should. Is this going to keep me from dying of pneumonia due to H1N1? I thought this strain of H1N1 was supposed to be less deadly than a standard flu outbreak - that's not so? I must be a few months behind in my information (par for the course with me).

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »

My understanding has always been that people don't die so much from the flu as the respitory problems, especially pneumonia. I am supposedly especially susceptible to death from pneumonia, since my spleen was removed as part of standard protocol during my transplant in 1976.

I get pneumovax injections every five years, as everyone should. Is this going to keep me from dying of pneumonia due to H1N1? I thought this strain of H1N1 was supposed to be less deadly than a standard flu outbreak - that's not so? I must be a few months behind in my information (par for the course with me).

It is much worse than seasonal flu. You can't compare that 36,000 number with the deaths the CDC is announcing from H1N1 (41 more announced today). The seasonal flu number is based on modeling and looks at the statistical uptick in deaths among the elderly and very young during the flu season. The H1N1 virus is killing the young with over two thirds of the death coming in people 20 to 60.

The supposed number of seasonal flu deaths is about the same as the number of car deaths a year. Have you ever known anyone who was killed in a car crash? Have you ever known anyone who died of the flu?

What I'm seeing in the US is the CDC moving its message from the first H1N1 vaccines doses in mid October to early November BUT you need two shots to receive immunity (assuming it works) and the second dose is planned, if all goes well, January. This means that no one will have vaccine induced immunity until January at the earliest.

You will hear about getting a SEASONAL vaccine shot in the next month. I'll probably get it BUT that will not help you against H1N1 and looking at the S Hemisphere there is very little seasonal flu circulating. Almost all - over 90% - of confirmed flu cases are H1N1.

Oops. Spoke too soon. Now it looks like the CDC is trying to dial back expectations. Only about 25% of the vaccine they hoped would be available in October will be available in October. I don't think many people will have vaccine based immunity until next year - it is going to be a very challenging Fall.

I just saw that the H1N1 case fatality rate is higher in Malaysia than any where else - at least anywhere that is reporting. Stay safe NT.

napala turki

Have to plan for living

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »

I'm back again.. in Malaysia latest news 67 has passaway due to H1N1.

The prevention taken by the private hospital, where I'm having my dialysis.
1. Children < 12 not allow to enter the area, unless as a patient
2. All visitors was checked their body temperature - free from fever.
3. All visitors and employees, MUST closed thier mouth with a mask.
4. All visitors leaving the area has to wash thier hand
5. All doors are closed except the main entrance thru the lobby.
6. Not encourage of visitors.

Now in Malaysia most of our citisen is wearing a mask duirng outing or in the streets.

Event the schools do monitoring each student entering the school area - should free from fever, or else will send them to the local hospital for further check up.

Hi take care.... simple practice - less outdoor ativities and regularly wash our hands, at least 5 x aday. :cuddle;
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »

Thx for the update......   I have heard that here in my hometown   Portland Oregon USA  we now have our first confirmed case of H1N1...... They are starting to talk more about it on our local new....

Good luck and stay healthy........

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Phraxis

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »

There were two cases of tamaflu resistant H1N1 in Seattle.  There has not been innoculations available yet but they should be here in October.

We have pretty strict contamination protocols at our clinic which I have adapted at the office (it is sometimes good to be the Boss) and home. Yes, you arrive for dinner and I take your coat, indicate the alcohol wash and serve you a drink. No wash no drink. :-)
napala turki

Have to plan for living

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 08:15:58 AM »

Im back again on the latest status of H1N! in Malaysia.

Today another victim is a 3 yrs old boy, died of the H1N1, become total of 70 casualty. :banghead;
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »

Here in SA 8 pregnant women have died..... JUST SO BAD! In one case they saved the baby.... but the others did not survive.

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
napala turki

Have to plan for living

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 02:51:42 AM »

Our local newspaper - in the world total of 72, 280 victims has died.  In my country Malaysia up to 72 casualty.

So take care.... always wash your hand > 5 times aday, used mouth mask in the public area.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 02:58:51 AM »

Is that 72,280 people have died???

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »