I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  my summer's almost over
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my summer's almost over  (Read 2370 times)
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« on: August 16, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »

I start back to school this Wednesday (Aug. 19), and my students come back the following week (Aug. 25).  In a way, I'm looking forward to it, as I love teaching.  But, it has been nice being at home all day every day this summer, and I've enjoyed spending more time with Marvin.  It's also been nice to be able to do his treatments at any time during the day (we're limited to afternoons and/or evenings when I'm in school).

My time here will probably drop, too, and I'm not looking forward to that.  I'll get on as much as I can -- and I have to make time for the chat room (especially after last night's *umm* interesting conversation in chat).

This starts my 22nd year teaching high school English, and just when I think I've seen everything in a classroom, another year starts and a new crop of students surprises me with another "that's a first for me" experience.  I'm hoping for classes filled with smiling faces, inquisitive minds, eager attitudes, and high aspirations (I can hope, can't I?).  Wish me luck...
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »

I envy you -- you have a classroom - I miss teaching   >:(
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:52:12 PM »

:2thumbsup; petey I admire you teachers so much. My high school history teacher left such an impression on me, I will forever be grateful. I hope you get the class you are looking for (no seriously, I mean it) and please post here when you can. You know I'll be looking for you and give Marvin a big hug from me. Keep us updated on how things go and 22 years is a long time to put up with teenagers.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »

High school is one of the few ages I have not taught and I admire that you have been doing it with grace for all these years.

Best wishes for a wonderful year!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

My summer has been over for the last two and a half weeks.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »

The chat room was interesting last night!   :rofl;    I, too, miss the classroom. It is hard when I know everyone is putting their classrooms together, planning, etc.   Life moves on, but I miss what I use to do.    Have a good school year Petey.  :thumbup;   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »

I have 3 more weeks before I start my 27th year of teaching!!  I can't believe the summer is almost over.  We get 1 day at the beginning of the year without students and one day at the end of the year.  Wish we had a week like you petey.  I have to go back sometime in the next couple of weeks to get my classroom ready - can't get everything done in the one day we are given.  I'm looking forward to a good year.  I have 12 students and they were very well behaved in Grade 1!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »

I have to say that after the summer I've had I'll almost be glad to see Autumn arrive, life goes on as they say.

Marsha I hope you have a wonderful set of students this year, they sure had a wonderful lady to teach them.

Marvin will miss you, if I lived nearer I'd be there like a shot to 'keep him company' (it's those blue, blue eyes ya know!) >:D
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »

Our winter is almost over.... I will be sending it to you guys.... heheheh

Our school year is from Jan - Dec. (summer holiday in Dec.... 6 weeks break for schools)

Enjoy your schoolyear!

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Slywalker

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »

Petey - thanks for putting up with the teenagers- I know they can be a challenge - but I must admit that is my favorite age group to hang out with.  I used to be the "adult" staff person for teen leadership weeks.  I sure learned a lot those years.

:bunny:
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 01:18:28 PM »

I hope you have a wonderful year Petey!

I start tomorrow (groan!) and the kids will come back on the 24th. This will be my twelfth year to teach.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »

My first day back at school, and I spent all day in meetings!  UGH!  This is the part of teaching I don't like.  I'll be glad when my kids come back next week.

Anyway, I got home to a SPOTLESS house!  Marvin had dusted, vacuumed, swept, scrubbed everything in the kitchen and bathroom, totally sanitized his "clinic," and folded those towels I left in the dryer.  He's such a sweetie!  I think he was bored.  He even had supper cooked and on the stove.  Tomorrow, he's going with me to help me put up posters and straighten my classroom to get ready for my "babies" to come back!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »