I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  It's official, post transplant medications have fried my hair!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's official, post transplant medications have fried my hair!  (Read 7550 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: August 02, 2009, 08:44:48 PM »

Directly after transplant my hair was falling out by the handfulls.  Lucky for me I have a lot of hair (thick).  Now that we've began to cut back on those meds a tad it has stopped falling out  :clap;, but now there are two other problems.  1)  the new hair growing in is causing mega friz because of the difference in length AND 2)  chunks of my once curly hair are now straight.  I let my hair dry naturally tonight and when I when I looked in the mirrow it was sticking straight out!  What a mess!   :rofl;    I really want to cut it  short to let it just start over, but I really want to wait for my face to go down a little more.

Plus, this horrible Texas heat is not helping.   :rofl;

Too funny.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:34:20 PM »

Kelly, I know how you feel. A womans hair truly is her crowning glory and every woman wants her hair to look good. If you went in to a Sally's if there is one nearby, maybe they could advise you. Or, do you know a hairstylist well? There are tons of different shampoos to deal with this sort of thing. I wish you luck. But, if that doesn't work, get a pedicure. They always make me feel spiffy.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »

Your on Prograf right Kelly?

I have read about this on another boad and seems to affect women more than men. I haven't had the problem, but kind of wish I did so I wouldn't have to shave for a bit. :rofl;

If I remember right from the post, there is a shampoo that helps a bit, but have to look for the post. Maybe even Donnia posted on that one, she belongs to that board also.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:39:15 AM »

On Cyclosporine my hair grew everywhere...a blond troll I tell ya!  Also went very coarse and curly and my stylist would thin out about a third each time she cut it.  Then I switched to Cellcept and the curl went away, just waves instead and the hair started falling out.  I use Nioxxin shampoo and conditionner which seems to help.  I also changed my hairstyle to straight which requires using a straightening iron.  I still shave every day with an electric wet razor which is relatively gentle on the skin.  I have much less hair now than I did but still enough to look fairly normal.

Ah...the hurdles...do we ever run out of hurdles???

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »

I did get the Nioxxin when it was falling out, but I didn't use it every time because it made my hair so dry.  But I did notice a difference with it.
It seems mine is doing the same thing, Gail.  The first time I ever went on Prednisone back in the mid 90's I was on it for one year and my hair, which was already curly, but more wavey, went crazy curly!   Now, it's just the opposite.  It's not "straight", but not curly either.  Really ugly!   It looks like I got a really bad perm or something.   I bought a curling iron and that helps to give it a better and softer look.  I need to start looking at hair magazines I guess to find a better style.

Do you think that if I cut it really short and let it "start over" it will help, or do you think it will just be newer yucky hair?

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »

I dunno, its so individual, Kelly.  I've always tried changing what I expect from my hair when it changes and find a style that accommodates the hair of the current phase but it's not me so much as my stylist.  She's good at suggesting new things although I keep any given style for a long time.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »

Also, upon advice from my hairstylist/daughter, if one takes a large amount or even sometimes a moderate amount of drugs, it also gets in to your hair. So, you can get a cleansing shampoo, the type you use if you have been in chlorinated water and I use that once a week. Takes the drugs out of your hair. Worth a try.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 07:53:10 PM »

Dialysis totally thinned out my hair. It used to be really curly. Now I want to have a hair transplant! It is so thin and has no body.

I have heard if you use Nioxin shampoo and stop that your hair will fall out even worse.. or was that Rogaine? I don't remember.. I am hesitant to try anything on it for fear it will get even worse.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »

That's just great Kelly! I have feathers for hair already! It had started to fall out with dialysis and now I am going to need a wig!   :rofl;

Knowing my luck it will fall out on my head and grow everywhere else!    :bow;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »

Kelly..
    I can so TOTALLY relate.  When I went in for my transplant I had curly hair to my waist..that I put in a braid....much like the braid of WTW in her pic.  Docs and techs were always moving the "log" as they called it when it got in their way.  Then the "fallout" began.  So it wouldnt be a total waste and before my hair was totally ruined I cut it off just below my ears and donated it to Locks of Love.
   Now my hair is just above my shoulders....thin and straight as a board.  When I pull it back into a pony tail its about as big around as a pencil. New growth has started and I can do a very good impression of Don King these days.
  You've got to look at the bright side...we are here to bitch about it!   :rofl;
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:21:01 PM by Wenchie58 » Logged

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »

Totally agree, Wenchi!  Totally!  And Don King is the perfect example! ha ha   My hair isn't long enough for Locks of Love, but I'd give to them in a heartbeat if they would take it!  Before transplant I never made it two days in a row without someone commenting on my hair.  Since transplant...nothing.   No one says anything bad about it at least.  They just don't comment at all.    :rofl;

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »

me too my hair is gross it looks really dry and thin and it was the opposite before transplant its gone from being dead straight to wavy as well i was going to grow it abit longer but i think i will go shorter next haircut and see what happens but at least we can pee!!

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »

Wattle...
   If you react anything like I did  you will have much less hair on your legs.  Which is a really good thing, leaves you time to deal with the new hair on your chin!!!     
 :rofl;  :yahoo;  :rofl;  :yahoo;  :rofl;  :yahoo;  :rofl;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »

I'm not growing hair under my arms anymore!  I like that side effect.   :2thumbsup;  After transplant my legs were very soft and I only had to shave every few weeks, but that's starting to change, but nothing like it was before transplant.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »

Ok..... The rollercoaster continues......

As you all know I had my transplant 5 1/2 months ago, and since then I have had 3 more generals. The last being four weeks ago for AVN of my right hip due to the steroids.

My problem today is....... I am afraid all my hair is going to fall out!!!!!!    :stressed;

Everytime I touch it huge chucks come away in my hand! It has been happening for at least 6 weeks. I have lost about 1/3 I would say.
My son told me (while pushing me in the wheelchair!)... "mum your going bald, there's a big line in your head I can see your skin!!" arrggghhhh got to love 13 year old boys.

I have started using the nioxin shampoo and scalp therapy every time i wash, which is every second day.

I am on Tac, Cellcept and Pred.

For all those of you who have had similar experiences, did it stop?? and when?? My Neph just says "you wont go bald". Easy for him to say. He did mention swapping from Tac to something else but I am unsure if I am going to "jump ship " too early. Do I just give it a chance to start growing back? At this point I don't care if it grows back purple with green stripes.... and long as some of it grows back!!

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:39:29 PM »

Isn't it horrible, Girl?  I was getting really nervous and I have thick hair.  Mine stopped falling out once we started to reduce the Prograf.  It's no longer falling out, but it's just not the same curl as before.  I must admit I need a new cut, so I guess I should hold my tongue until that happens.  Maybe someone can work a miracle.  If I let it air dry, it's a total mess!  Before it was just a mass of big curls.  Unruly, but not ugly.  Now it's ugly.   :(

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 12:35:45 AM »

Prograf alopecia:
This is a newly recognized cause of hair loss in transplant recipients on prograf. It doesn't happen to every recipient taking prograf. The full nature of this type of hair loss is unknown. We do know that it is characterized by gradual hair loss resulting in thinning over the complete scalp. There is no redness or scale on the scalp. There is no breakage of the hair. It appears to not lead to complete loss of hair, but only thinning. At this time, it appears to improve only if the dose of prograf is decreased or completely stopped. This alteration in medication for hair loss alone must be balanced with the significant benefit this medication provides the overall health of the transplant recipient and survival of the transplanted organ.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:17 AM »

Cyclosporine made me grow hair everywhere and it was coarse and curly on my head.  This time, the prograf has made me lose at least a third, maybe more.  I have no answers to the problem although I use Nioxxin as my shampoo, only wash my hair once a week (which was hard at first until the balance of oils got sorted) and focus on thinking that thin hair beats dialysis.  Side effects suck.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »

The Nioxin drys my hair out so much.  I only used it once or twice a week, and m hair felt gross to the touch after I used it.  I just purchased a new shampoo off of QVC and it was EXPENSIVE!  But so far I'm loving it.  I think the brand is Wenz or something like that.  It has put some curl, but, again, I need to go get a trim and a style cut.  My last cut was worthless.  I could have done it myself.  No shape or stayle.  Horrible.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »

Did you use the conditionner also Kelly?  It helps to leave in in awhile before rinsing out and do a moisturizing treatment every two weeks.  I like how my hair feels just not how much less there is.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »

Nioxin has a website and there are different products for different needs, like this deep conditioner - http://www.nioxin.com/en/products/intensive-therapy/deep-repair-hair-masque?xPos=54

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »

What I bought is a 3 step process with the last step being some kind of foam you put on your scalp and massage in and leave.  The other two are a cleanser and a scalp treatment or something.  That's all they had.  Maybe I'll go back and look.  Is there one that says "shampoo" and one that says "conditioner"?  Maybe I got the wrong stuff.     :(

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »

I'm just glad I'm a guy right now! Wash and go, but haven't had the problems of Prograf like you guys have had. Sounds like a pain in the but to do 3 steps or wait several minutes before rinsing to be able to take a shower.  :P

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »

Kelly, I use the cleanser, followed by the scalp treatment.  They both smell a lot like mint and are tingly.  I don't use the nioxin deep treatment at all (step 3).  I buy a deep nourishing treatment (actually my hair stylist does it at the salon but I'll ask her the name or what she recommends) for moisture and do that once or twice a month.  Also important to massage the scalp with the conditioner in.  My hair seems to have times when it comes out a lot and then it stops.  Right now is not so bad. 

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »

The salon at the local Walmart had an entire shelf of different Nioxxin products.  Took forever to read thru all the options and pick one that seemed to apply to my situation.  I got shampoo for "noticeably thinning" and a thickening spray.  I'm using the extra thick conditioner that comes with my box of hair coloring.  I've only used the combo once so far since I bought the stuff this weekend, but I like the results.  (At $17 bucks a bottle, it darn well better do something!)  I had to cut everything pretty short, which I don't like on me, but I was doing the Don King frizz thing too, with all the little pieces of stuff growing back in.  A short cropped shag with lots of layers is what all the books suggest for really fine hair, so I figured I'll try it for now.  The front and sides look pretty good now - no where near as thick as it was before the transplant, complications and months of minimal nutrition, but at least it looks normal.  I still have a really thin damaged spot at the back of my head from 2 months of bed rest and laying on a pillow in the same spot since I couldn't roll to my side because of the pain and the surgical drains.  The friction is not good for already damaged hair!

Mine is stick straight now - I've lost all my waves and curls.  I can't let it air dry anymore if I want to look like I didn't roll out of bed hungover - it's just a mess then!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »