I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  How To Travel with PD: Tips and Tricks?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How To Travel with PD: Tips and Tricks?  (Read 5310 times)
TiffanyJean

We live in paradise - if only we could enjoy it!

« on: August 02, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »

Hey everyone so at the beginning of September we are finally taking a vacation (its been postponed twice this year). So we are calling Baxter in the next week to set up everything we will need for our 12 day trip to Northern CA (SF and then to Sacramento to visit family). Richie will be bringing his Baxter PD Cycler.

So what we are wondering is what do we bring and what do they deliver? if we have to bring all the cassettes, and tubes and what not will we have to pay for the extra bag or can we get a medical note or something?

Are there any books that anyone can suggest? like a how to travel while on dialysis?

Any tips or tricks or suggestions that anyone can give will be much appreciated!

Thanks So Much!!

TJ

"Just think people have no problem having only one kidney, so we have to ask, why
did God give us two kidneys?  Perhaps it is so you would have an extra one to
donate and save a life!"
                        - Dr. Stuart Greenstein, Kidney Transplant Surgeon,
                        Professor of Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY   
                        Source of quote:   www.ourjerusalem.com
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »

This is wonderful news, Tiffany.

You will want to notify the airline BEFORE going. And get a letter from your clinic. Talk with them to find out what can be delivered to your destination.

We have a different machine and haven't flown with it, so others will have additional tips.

Have a GREAT time!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Jie

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »

For all my travels, I brought everything except the solutions, which was delivered to the hotels by Baxter ahead of time. It needs at least 2 weeks before travel in the U.S. to order the solutions. 

For the cycler, I used the hardcase to check it during my first trip. It ended up being broken during the flight. Therefore, I always used softcase to carry the cycler on board later on. The medical supplies and cycler should not be counted as luggage. I flighted a lot, and my cycler has almost earned a "MVP" as well. I have not brought any letters from my neph or clinic. The airport security would usually open the cycler case to the cycler. Just tell them it is a dialysis machine. I called the airline for my first trip, but they told me that I don't need to call it. Different airlines may have different policies, so it is a good idea to call it ahead of time.
djgaryb11

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »

Baxter will deliver your solutions to your destination.  You need to bring everything else.  So that means your Cycler, Cassettes, clamps, BP machine, scale, proper soap and hand sanitizer, mini caps, tape, gauze, etc.  When I traveled by plane i used a hard case that i purchased myself, some Clinics have loaner cases that they loan out , but mine didn't.  I took my cycler on the plane and stored it in the over head bin....it does not count as baggage, and I also got a letter from my PD nurse saying what it was and that it was a "life saving medical equipment"..something like that.  I just got back from a 2 week trip down to the Florida Keys and Key West....I drove there, so I brought my cylcer machine and all my supplies with me in  my car, all the PD fluids were delivered to my destination.  Everything worked out great for me.   Good luck with your trip !

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
djgaryb11

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:17:30 PM »

Also, this is a great article to read also

http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200810/

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »