I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:47:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Severe Dry Mouth Help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Severe Dry Mouth Help  (Read 6789 times)
wahoozer

« on: July 22, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »

My Mother has severe dry mouth. She has tried sucking on hard candy, doesn't help.
Any suggestions?
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:32:02 AM »

A few ice cubes?

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »

Sometimes medication does that . I got an artificial saliva spray from my doctor but to be honest it wasnt much good. Because of fluid restrictions maybe just keep swilling her mouth out with water ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
joyfulmother

Becky

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »

I am addicted to Sugar Free mints (the kind in the little round container).  I also like Altoids - has to be Wintergreen.  It helps my dry mouth a lot.

Becky
44 years old, Christian, homeschooling mom to my boys, ages 7 & 9.
- PD Patient beginning 12/31/08
- Listed on September, 2009
- Transplant on March 28, 2010
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »

Mum often has a dry mouth due to the fluid restriction, and do I to due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome...

My dentist tells me that artificial saliva treatments work better in combination of two or three products... We use BioExtra Spray, suckable tablets, and gum... It seems to work for us...

If your mouth gets very dry, try sucking on a small piece of a lemon or lime (we keep small pieces in a bag in the freezer)... Bet the very idea is making you produce more saliva!!!...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »

I get it too from one of my prescriptions. I like sucking on Ludens wil cherry cough drops works great and guess what I never get coughs...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »

Try a drink in a spray bottle.  She can spray her mouth as often as she likes, but won't be drinking much.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
wahoozer

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »

Great! Thanks everyone, I will pass the suggestions onto her.
Inara

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

Don't forget ice chips!  :thumbup;

*Primary Caregiver of Leslie, my best friend.  She's been on dialysis for 9 years.
*Dialysis Nurse for 9 years
*HUGE Sci-Fi fan!! (Yes, I'm a dork)
*Recovery from broken leg.....85% healed and that's the best it will ever be.....a slight limp is kinda sexy, huh?
LightLizard

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 06:56:47 PM »

a very simple and cost-free method of moistening the mouth comes from
the ancient art of tai chi. with the mouth gently closed, that is, lips together and teeth softly together too, curl the tip of the tongue up to touch the roof of the mouth. (it works with dentures, too) -this stimulates the saliva gland under the tongue and causes the production of saliva.
the further back that you touch the roof of the mouth with the tounge-tip, the greater the saliva flow. it doesn't take long, and i wouldn't do it for more than a few minutes at a time. you can over-stimulate the gland and cause swelling.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »

I found this:
Quick and Easy Thirst Quencher

By Dale Ester

ESRD treatment comes with many restrictions, but with creative thinking, you can deal with them. One of the most important restrictions is to limit fluid intake so it won't interfere with dialysis treatment. It can be tough at times.

I found a quick and easy way to help control my daily fluid intake. I buy small, plastic-coated freezer balls filled with gel. They come in various bright colors, six per package, approximately one inch in diameter, for about $2.00 in US money. You can get these at grocery stores or at party store outlets. They're targeted for kids to enjoy as a colorful drink enhancer, but I find they serve a function a dialysis patient can really benefit from—helping with the fluid intake dilemma.

Try this tip to quench your thirst: Freeze the miniature party balls. When you're thirsty or your mouth is dry, take one out of the freezer and run water over it before putting it into your mouth. This will keep it from freezing to your tongue and other areas. Pop it in your mouth, then sit back and enjoy a scrumptious pleasure of sheer delight. The thin icy coating on the freezer ball melts, dripping frozen coolness into your mouth and "fools" you into believing you're savoring a truly wet ice cube—but not really. The gel inside the cube melts, too, but the plastic cover keeps it contained inside the ball. Almost no fluid is swallowed, except for the saliva you work up while sucking on the cube. Yet the icy cold treat is satisfying and safe, too.

A dialysis patient's dry mouth can be relieved from this simple kid's toy. As always, make sure you're sitting up when you're enjoying this treat, to prevent choking.

It's no wonder children enjoy the freezer balls. Who said kids can't teach adults a thing or two? Try it—you'll like it!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boclark54

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:49 PM »

When my husband was in-center he used frozen seedless grapes. Freeze a plastic bagful and just use one at a time, lasts awhile hard and then can eat when softens. Worked good for him. Actually, tasted so good I also started liking them.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »

I think any kind of frozen fruit helps - I like green grapes, but strawberries and raspberries are equally yummy and good for quenching thirst.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:22 PM »

I suppose popsicles are out, huh? Too much fluid?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
BobN

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »

Don't forget, the biggest culprit in controlling thirst is sodium intake.

Keep your sodium at a minimum, including most processed foods, and you will be amazed how you won't be so thirsty anymore.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 03:04:51 PM »

I suppose popsicles are out, huh? Too much fluid?

Popsicles are food fluid wise - they're only about 100ml.  But They might be a bit sugar high for some.

Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 03:05:21 PM »

I meant good - not food...

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »

I always kept the small containers of Italian Ice in the freezer and Len would eat part of a container and said it help.   :waving;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »

I've got a box of fruit bars/popsicles.  I was wondering about the fluid content, too.  They claim to have "real strawberry" in them.  So I put one in a water glass that holds a one cup measure, and melted it in the microwave.  The good news is that the fluid in it is pretty minimal - less than a quarter of a cup.  The bad news is the "real strawberry", once it's melted and truly visible is only about a quarter of strawberry.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »

jbeany, that was good thinking on your part.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »

sour  lollies  activate  the  saliva  glands.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
LightLizard

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »

actually, the very best method of moistening the mouth does not involve ingesting anything at all.
it is an ancient health execise from the chinese tradition of qigong. something i taught for years, before my kidneys croaked.
it's called 'washing the teeth' and you can try it while you are reading this and see just how well it works.
keeping the mouth closed throughout,
put the tip of your tongue between your upper teeth on the left side and the inside of your cheek. move the tongue across the teeth from left to right, as though 'washing' or wiping the teeth with your tongue. then, put the tongue-tip on the outside of your bottom teeth on the right, between your teeth and inner cheek. wipe the bottom teeth from right to left. then, repeat the first motion, that is, tongue  between upper teeth on the left again, and wipe to the right, again. then, the lower teeth from right to left, again. as if you were making a 'figure eight' with your tongue, you could say.
repeat the motion at least eight times. then, do it in the opposite direction, starting ith the tongue-tip between your upper teeth on the right, washing to the left. lower teeth to the left, wash to the right. etc. eight times as well. if your mouth is still dry, call the coroner.
 ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:03:44 AM by LightLizard » Logged
wahoozer

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 08:18:12 AM »

I think my 80 year old mother would probably shoot me if I try explaining that to her. LOL :rofl; :rofl;
LightLizard

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »

you might be surprised. it was 90-year old chinese people that came up with the exercise.

and by the way, i used to teach exercise classes based on the chinese arts of tai chi and qigong at about 7 different senior centers, here in victoria, before i got sick, and this exercise was one of their favourites.
they were all in their 70's, 80's and even 90's.
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:30:33 PM by LightLizard » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »