I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Daily dose of baking soda ‘can keep kidney patients off dialysis’ Article in The
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daily dose of baking soda ‘can keep kidney patients off dialysis’ Article in The  (Read 9402 times)
rose1999
Elite Member

« on: July 17, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »

(I hope I'm doing this right), this article appeared in The Times today and was also discussed on BBC Radio 4

From The Times
July 17, 2009 David Rose
A daily dose of baking soda could help patients with chronic kidney disease avoid having to undergo dialysis, a study suggests.

Research by British scientists has found that sodium bicarbonate — otherwise known as baking soda — can dramatically slow the progress of the condition.

About three million people in Britain suffer from chronic kidney disease, which can lead to complete kidney failure, requiring regular dialysis. Patients commonly suffer from low bicarbonate levels, a condition called metabolic acidosis.

The pilot study conducted at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, was the first controlled test of the treatment in a clinical setting. In the study, published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, researchers studied 134 patients with advanced chronic kidney disease and metabolic acidosis.

One group was randomly allocated a small daily dose of sodium bicarbonate in tablet form in addition to their usual care. Over a period of one year, the kidney function of these patients declined about two thirds more slowly than that of individuals who were not given the tablets. Their rate of decline was little different from what would be expected with normal ageing.

Rapid progression of kidney disease occurred in just 9 per cent of patients given baking soda, compared with 45 per cent of the non-treated group.

Patients taking sodium bicarbonate tablets were also less likely to develop end-stage renal disease requiring dialysis, which takes over the function of the kidneys. Although their sodium levels were increased, it did not lead to problems with raised blood pressure.

An estimated 37,800 patients in Britain receive renal replacement therapy, which may involve dialysis or a kidney transplant.

The cost of looking after kidney failure patients accounts for 3 per cent of the entire NHS budget. On average, each patient on dialysis costs the NHS Ł30,000 per year.

Magdi Yaqoob, professor of Renal Medicine at the Royal London, described the results as “amazing”.

“This study shows that baking soda can be useful for people with kidney failure ... as long as the dose is regulated and under supervision,” he said. “This cheap and simple strategy also improves patients’ nutritional wellbeing and has the potential to improve quality of life and of course a clinical outcome that can remove the need for dialysis. Baking soda is not classed as a drug so this study has never been tried before.”

The scientists pointed out that their research was limited by not having a “placebo group” of patients receiving a “dummy” treatment. It was also not “blind” - the researchers knew which patients were receiving the baking soda. “Our results will need validation in a multi-centre study,” Professor Yaqoob said

see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6716929.eceSee 

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:49:35 AM by okarol » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »

Watch.... a box of baking soda will be $500.

PS - there must be an error in the URL.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:11:44 AM by Rerun » Logged

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »

Here are a couple more links I found on this:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/hscout/2009/07/17/hscout629029.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090716201123.htm

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »

Check this out: latest info on Sodium Bicarbonate Treatment (Kidney Research UK)
I have just read an article, by an eminent doctor,
 on the website of “Kidney Research UK”, dated 17th July 2009,
which states that a daily treatment with the common baking substance Sodium Bicarbonate
may be very beneficial to patients with deteriorating kidney function.
 But they don’t say the dose, and they do say it should be done under medical supervision.
Please check this out and let us know what you think? Thanks again, Kristina.

Topics Merged - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 09:00:19 PM by okarol » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »

My transplant team has had me on 1350 mg of sodium bicarb twice a day since transplant.  I never asked them the reasoning behind it....they give you so many things...it's just 4 more pills a day to me.  :)

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

Baking soda tastes kind of nasty.  Sodium bicarb can be purchased over the counter at your local drug store in pill form, they resemble a fat aspirin.  I currently take 1350 mg twice a day as prescribed by my transplant team.  I think I paid $16.50 USD for 1000 pills.  Mine are 625 mg each.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »

I was taking sodium bicarb for a year or so before transplant.  My post transplant doctor stopped it.   Now my creatinine is creeping up a bit, so my neph. put me back on sodium bicarb, 650 mg three times a day.  He said "That should take care of it".  I hope he's right.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »

The patients in the research ALL had metabolic acidosis (i.e. low bicarb levels) as well as CKD.

I don't know if low bicarb is general or rare for CKD patients, so taking bicarb may or may not help the majority.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:15 PM »

Here's the link to the article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6716929.ece

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 01:52:30 AM »

Dear Wenchie58 and Kellyt,
Could you please tell me if the doctors warned you of any side-effects from taking Sodium-Bicarbonate-tablets?
Is the size of dose related to body weight or not?
Have you felt any side effects which you attribute to the taking of Sodium-Bicarbonate-tablets?
I shall find out if I have a deficiency which warrants me taking it, but all the same I am interested
to find out anything about side-effects because of my intolerance to tablets etc.
Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 02:44:21 AM »

P.S. This test about low bicarb levels, is it a simple blood-test?
         And how much does it cost? Thanks again, Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 08:09:23 AM »

I have been taking bicarb before and after my transplant. There usually aren't any side effects of it. I think there are warnings about large doses causing stomach problems. I think a Basic Metabolic panel shows bi-barb levels. I just had a mild after taste when I first started taking it. It went away after awhile.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 07:05:22 PM »

Does it count if the bicarb is in a banana cake? lol

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »

Just test blood pH (acidity).  If your blood is acidic, you've got acidosis, suggesting that you don't have enough bicarb in your blood to buffer the acid.

That's what bicarb does.  It neutralizes acid.  (It's an old-fashioned remedy for heartburn.)
lodisweetthing

Hello,My husband is on home dialysis,,or pd

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »

rod has been taking baking soda for his heartburn all his life in stead of tums or rolaids ect. so i dont believe it he still got kidney failure...

Hugs Rach
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »

And how much does it cost? Thanks again, Kristina.

I don't know how much it costs, but it is always included in my monthly hemodialysis blood chemistries.

It's either listed as Carbon Dioxide, CO2 or Bicarbonate.  The reference range is between 22-29 mEq/L.  But sometimes different labs may vary those numbers slightly (20-30 mEq/L).

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 03:07:15 AM »

Thanks very much for answering my questions.
It is very much appreciated.
Kind regards from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 07:57:13 AM »

I was never told of any side effects and I haven't seen/felt any when taking it.  I figure that's the mildest pill I take.  :)

Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:27 PM »

Kristina..
   I have had no side effects from it, even when they had me on a higher dose.  It's just another pill.

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »

It will grab hold of your tongue if you don't take with a lot of fluid, though.  yuk!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »