I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:34:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Review: 'My Sister's Keeper' thought-provoking, shamelessly emotional
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Review: 'My Sister's Keeper' thought-provoking, shamelessly emotional  (Read 1620 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 25, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Review: 'My Sister's Keeper' thought-provoking, shamelessly emotional

By Christy Lemire
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thursday, June 25, 2009

"My Sister's Keeper" is a shameless weepy, one of the most manipulative and fundamental of genres, but it also raises some surprisingly difficult and thought-provoking ethical questions.

Based on the Jodi Picoult best-seller, the drama focuses on the Fitzgerald family, and the drastic decision they made in medically engineering a child (Abigail Breslin) as a perfect genetic match to help save the life of their older daughter Kate (Sofia Vassilieva), who has leukemia. Ordinarily, this sort of material would seem better suited for television, but there's an artfulness to the storytelling that makes it work on the big screen.

For years, little Anna provided blood, bone marrow, whatever Kate needed. She did it because she loved her sister, and because it's all she ever knew. Now at 11, with Kate needing a kidney, Anna says no for the first time and beyond that, she files a lawsuit seeking medical emancipation from her parents to keep them from making further decisions about her body. (Alec Baldwin provides a few welcome flashes of comic relief as the dryly arrogant lawyer she chooses from his TV commercials.)

Director Nick Cassavetes, who co-wrote the script with Jeremy Leven (writer of Cassavetes' "The Notebook"), traces this conflict through flashbacks from various characters' perspectives: bulldog matriarch Sara (Cameron Diaz), whose priority is preserving Kate's life at all costs; father Brian (Jason Patric), who's patient and supportive no matter what; only son Jesse (Evan Ellingson), who feels lost in the shuffle; and Kate and Anna themselves. He probably relies a bit too heavily on voiceover from them all explaining the obvious: that they're a dysfunctional family but they still manage to stick by each other.

Cassavetes tugs at the heartstrings, which has become a trademark in much of his work, providing opportunities to yank out the hankies early and often. But he also wisely refrains from demonizing any of these characters for their choices and lets us draw our own conclusions.

Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel helps bring a gauzy melancholy to these heavy proceedings, especially during a pivotal scene at the beach toward the end.

On the flip side, some family members seem too good to be true especially Brian, who happens to have chosen that most selfless of careers as a firefighter, and the saintly Kate herself, who loses it far less frequently than the average person might in her situation.

Diaz gives a vanity-free performance as Sara, a lawyer who stopped practicing to care for Kate full time, but her anxiety too often comes out as shrillness and she doesn't quite have the gravitas to make the courtroom scenes or the darker moments feel entirely believable. Breslin is typically bright and poised beyond her years, and here she gets a rare chance to play a character who could be viewed as cruel and selfish.

But she may actually get upstaged by the lovely Vassilieva, especially during the scenes in which Kate recalls the thrill of her first love with a fellow cancer patient (Thomas Dekker). This provides yet another chance to get choked up, because for all the beauty and authenticity of their young romance, you know it can't last.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/movies/s_631086.html#

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Beth35

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »

I can't wait to see this movie!

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
marti824

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »

Don't think I could watch this movie.  Kind of hits too close to home.  I have a little niece who has neuroblastoma.  she has been fighting it for a year and is losing the battle.  I pray every day for her parents for the strength to see them through this.  she is 6 years old.
Beth35

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:52:41 AM »

Oh, I'm so sorry Marti.  I pray that your niece is able to fight this horrible disease! :grouphug;

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
marti824

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:29:15 AM »

Thank you, unfortunately, there is nothing left for them to do.  the cancer ha completely taken over her body, and they can't give her anymore chemo.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »