I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Return to work after transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return to work after transplant  (Read 11853 times)
rookiegirl

« on: June 23, 2009, 05:29:26 AM »

I had my transplant on 3/20/09 & my target return to work date is 6/26/09.  My work disability coordinator & transplant clinic are currently reviewing my medical documents to determine if I can return to work on the target date as full duty, restricted duty or additional extension is necessary.

My question is...how long were you out after having a kidney transplant?

Overall, I feel fine except I still have some soreness/tenderness on my right side.  The Dr thinks this will eventually subside over time.  Lots of scar tissue forming/healing inside.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »

I was released at 4 weeks. But I stayed off for 5.
rookiegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:11:09 AM »

Romona - Wow 5 weeks & you were back to work?  I was still in a lot of pain after my 4 weeks.

2004-2nd biopsy
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »

After Otto's 1st transplant he went back FULL time 2 weeks later, he felt as if nothing had happened. With the 2nd because of all the complications he went back full time after 12 weeks and he really pushed himself to do that.

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »

If i get a donor i am gonna push hard for the two week mark myself.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »

I went back after three months, but of course we were on summer break so maybe I could have gone back earlier - I don't know. I just told the doctor I definitely wanted to be back by the first day of school for teachers.

Good luck with getting back to work!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »

If i get a donor i am gonna push hard for the two week mark myself.

Paul, have you had major surgery before?  Especially in the abdoman area?  Two weeks would be an incredibly short recovery time. It takes awhile to get the meds adjusted, the incision to heal, etc.  Don't push yourself so hard, when the time comes. You want to do everything you can to protect that new kidney.

Rookiegirl,  let us know what your team says. It seems like you are listening to all your doctors, etc. Take care   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

guess it depends on type of work you do...12 weeks for myself and light duty w/out any heavy lifting. Also  how do you feel about going back w/out any restrictions.. just dont rush things......God Bless !! Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
rookiegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »

OMG!  I can't believe some of you were only out for 2 weeks after a kidney transplant.  The first week, I was still in the hospital.  Second week I started my transplant clinic visits 2x/week and I could barely walk, get out of bed, etc...

It took me at least a good 3 weeks in order to roll out of bed due to the pain of surgery.  Plus, the clinic continuously adjusting my meds to find the right dose.

According to my transplant clinic team, 12 weeks is the average time off.

2004-2nd biopsy
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 02:18:27 AM »

Personally I will rely on medical advice as to when I should return. I suppose in my head and what I have told people at work is that it would be "at least" a month away from work - but who knows until it happens? Luckily I have like 3 or 4 months of sick leave accrued at work so that is no issue :) The biggest problem will be boredom I imagine!

Of course I could probably also do some work from home logging in via the network etc.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wilda

Never give up...

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »

When I had my transplant in 1978, I was 18 years old and didn't at that time have a job. But I do remembering feeling really good after I got home and going outside to play basketball with my brothers. When I went back for a checkup and told my dr that I played basketball when I got home, he about had a cow. He said, are you crazy, you just had major surgery? This was about 4 to 5 weeks after my trasnplant. Things now a days happens so much faster. Getting out of the hospital, going back to work, etc.  Slow down, take time to smell the flowers. Your job will be there when you are ready. Don't rush it.  Congrats on your transplant. I hope you have many many healthy years ahead.
Also I remember my doctor telling me back then that I should never ride a horse or motorcycle because it could jar my kidney. Has this changed too?  I do so love to ride horses, or at least I did a long time ago.
Wilda

I received a kidney from my sister on March 16, 1978. :)
Never ever give up.
Live life to its fullest...
rookiegirl

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »

Well...I received my work release letter from my transplant clinic today.  I'm definitely going back to work this Friday, June 26th.  I know, weird to start work on Friday and not Monday.  My company short term disability gave me 14 weeks from the day I left work which was on a Thursday.  The letter does indicate some restrictions (ex: fatigue, pain in surgery site, lifting).  If any of these occur, I can work part time.  I'm going to try full time and see how that works.

I'm scared because I've been gone for so long and I know how much work is waiting for me.  Even though I have 2 backups, they were not able to do what I normally do because they don't know how.  So they were very limited to work on my accounts.  I'm the type of person that multitasks and I get in a "work zone" and keep going like an energizer bunny.  I have to make myself be aware that I can't just go go go!  I will need to slowly get into the routine of things.

Wish me luck this Friday!

Thanks,
RG

2004-2nd biopsy
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »

RG..
  I went back to work after 12 weeks.  You've got the right attitude about pushing to hard, but it's difficult to do when you first go back and want to "clean up" all those things that arent completed in your absence.  Just realize that you're going to be completely dragging after a day of wrok until you get back into the swing of things.  Starting on a Friday is a great idea...work one day, then rest two!  Best of luck!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kidneyx3

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 04:57:14 AM »

I recieved my kidney at age 28 and went back to work as a nurse in an icu full-time 12 hour shifts at about 4 months post-transplant. I worked for a year and thought I was doing fine but now that I look back every ounce of energy expended was for work. I was not able to be a good wife and mother to my family because I was so exhausted all the time. I developed CMV and had that treated and then returned to work again for only a month and now I am in the hospital with rejection.
So, I know you may think you feel fine and this kidney has brought back a "normal" life but please take my advice and take it easy! I love my job with all my heart but I'm just gonna have to ride the disability train for awhile. I have recieved some high doses of steroids and thymoglobulin and still nothing. Has anyone else went through the treatments for rejection? :banghead;
rookiegirl

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »

I'm now 4 months post transplant.  Work is ridiculous crazy busy, demanding and sometimes just out of control.  Of course, I'm trying to play catch up and make up for the 14 weeks I was out due to my transplant.  Plus, they promoted me and I'm currently doing 2 jobs until they find replacement for my old position.  Each day, I keep reminding myself, handle one thing at a time and don't get burned out.  I take breaks often and I'm out the door by 5pm or earlier.

I have also voiced my concern to my new manager about balancing the demands for both positions.  She completely understand and she specifically told me take one project at a time.  She also made several suggestions on how I can spread my time for both until they find my replacement.  Since my conversation with my manager, I feel so much better and at the end of my work day, I feel the relieve of accomplishment.

2004-2nd biopsy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print