I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 12:32:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Peritoneal or Hemo?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peritoneal or Hemo?  (Read 18294 times)
mallory

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2006, 10:57:17 AM »

Thanks, everybody.  I'm calmer today, I'm back at work, everything is fine.  My catheter is still bleeding a little, but they said it's probably because I've been on Prednisone so long and it's affected my tissue so it heals more slowly.

Goofynina, I'm not on HD yet, I'm not on any dialysis yet.  I have the catheter for PD, they said that unless I get sick, they're going to let it heal until after Thanksgiving and then start me on dialysis.

Thanks everyone, for all your advice.  I am glad that I chose PD, and I do think it's the right decision for me at this time.  Starting dialysis is just such a BIG thing, you know?  I am so glad I found this site, without it I would feel so alone.  I don't know anyone at all who's ever even had kidney problems, let alone dialysis, so I don't have anyone I can talk to or ask questions.

Epoman, your site is fantastic!!

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Triker

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2006, 06:43:49 PM »

I just wanted to comment on something that was said. I don't know how long ago you did PD, but, you said you had to dump a 10 gallon bucket of used solution everyday... i'm not sure why, but that's not how it works, now at least. You have a drain line... and in the morning when your done you hook the drain line up to your used bags and the other end of the drain line goes in the toilet, or sink, and you walk away do whatever it is you o... come back later and unhook the drain line and your bags are now empty, you didnt have to lift a thing.
My machine was a Baxter machine. I set it up in my bedroom, and dialized while sleeping. There was no sink or stool in my bedroom. The bathroom was at the other end of the house.
pmbaer

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2006, 09:07:17 PM »

Thanks, everybody.  I'm calmer today, I'm back at work, everything is fine.  My catheter is still bleeding a little, but they said it's probably because I've been on Prednisone so long and it's affected my tissue so it heals more slowly.

Goofynina, I'm not on HD yet, I'm not on any dialysis yet.  I have the catheter for PD, they said that unless I get sick, they're going to let it heal until after Thanksgiving and then start me on dialysis.

Thanks everyone, for all your advice.  I am glad that I chose PD, and I do think it's the right decision for me at this time.  Starting dialysis is just such a BIG thing, you know?  I am so glad I found this site, without it I would feel so alone.  I don't know anyone at all who's ever even had kidney problems, let alone dialysis, so I don't have anyone I can talk to or ask questions.

Epoman, your site is fantastic!!

Hello Mallory: 

You seem to be a couple weeks ahead of me.  My surgery to place the PD cath is Monday.  I've been doing a lot of research also and find some comfort in hearing that the Fresenius product is getting good reviews.  The center I'm working with is a Fresenius center and I was alarmed to be presented with a form to sign stating that I could use only fresenius products or find another center.  The next closer center is 3 hours away.  Thank you for asking the question. 

Fixed Quote - Rerun - Moderator

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:13:03 PM by Rerun » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2006, 12:08:34 AM »

Oh, Mallory, I wish you weren't so worried, but that's normal, so was I.  I have been on both Baxter :thumbup;  and Fresenius  :thumbdown; and by far prefer the Baxter machine. In my opinion,Baxter is less sensitive( so fewer alarms) because it does not work on the scale system, much easier and quicker to set up, has longer tubing, can be disconnected as many times as needed(unlike F, which you can do only once), it can drain into a bucket or stool or tub (Fresenius drains into bags hanging on the machine that you must struggle to unhook and carry to dispense of), there is less waste(tubing, containers and wrappers)  with Baxter(hence, less garbage to get rid of),  the connecter attached to you has shorter tubing to contend with.  I could go on and on, as I did with my dialysis unit when they wanted me to switch - recounting each and every positive and negative.  The only positive I found that the Fresenius had was that it was somewhat quieter, except when it switched over - that was a loud clicking noise.  Now that I have moved my machine to the hallway I sleep more peacefully and have no problems or alarms- whoever said it had to be next to your head or even beside your bed?  It does not!  Best wishes for your introduction into the world of dialysis- you are LUCKY if you are able to do PD!  :2thumbsup; Thinking of you,  Anja

I just needed to correct a few things beause I am on Fresenius and you make it sound so bad.  >:( You say youcan only disconnect from a Fresenius machine one-time, and thats not true... I disconnct as many times as I want too... I have snap-disconnect and have many many disconnect's if I need them and need to be unhooked from the machine. I also do not have to carry my bags to drain them, I just hook up a drain line and put the other end of it in the toilet and come back in an hour or 2 and its empty. Also my machine makes no noise at all, not even switching from drains to dwells and fills... only sound is if I alarm, obviously. So, there are lots of positives to Fresenius also... not just negatives as you pointed out.Maybe you sed a different machine for Fresenius, idunno.. I use Freedom Cycler PD+ IQCard. I used Baxter for a week in the hospital and was glad I didn't have to use it at home.. I didn't like it at all, so you see, everyone has a prefrencce, and mine is Fresenius  ;D

You will have to try and see for yourself what works for you.
There is only one "quick-disconnect" though per tubing. Sure you can put a cap on that they give you but I never felt those were as "safe" when it comes to preventing Peritonitis! Also FMC never EVER gave me a drain line that could reach to the washroom or anything. I had heavy bags that were a pain in the ass. I was just on this last year so it wasn't like it was an old one or anything. But I can't compair to Baxter as the last time I was on that was in 1990. The machine was much bigger back then (I saw the current Baxter PD machine at a Kidney Symposium! Much smaller than the FMC one!!). Anyway my FMC machine was also the Freedom Cycler PD+ IQCard.

The first pic is that Freedom Cycler PD+ IQCard.
The 2nd pic is my Baxter one I was on in 1990 in the hospital.
The 3rd pic is the one Baxter I saw at the Kidney Symposium.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Fox_nc

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:38 PM »

Memories ... pressed between the pages of my mind. . .

Angie, I haven't seen one of those monsters (the 2nd pic) in years.  When I had mine in 94, I called it C3PO  ;D  When I get my new one it will be the Baxter one in the bottom picture.  I can't believe how small they have become in the last decade, but I'm happy for it!

After doing in-clinic hemo for the past 3 months, I can without hesitation say that, for me, PD is the way to go.  At least at home I have a DVR :-) And people to talk to.  Only 5 days until I get my fabulous tube and only 2 weeks after that I get to ditch hemo and this stupid catheter - woo hoo!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2006, 06:19:01 PM »

Memories ... pressed between the pages of my mind. . .

Angie, I haven't seen one of those monsters (the 2nd pic) in years.  When I had mine in 94, I called it C3PO  ;D  When I get my new one it will be the Baxter one in the bottom picture.  I can't believe how small they have become in the last decade, but I'm happy for it!

After doing in-clinic hemo for the past 3 months, I can without hesitation say that, for me, PD is the way to go.  At least at home I have a DVR :-) And people to talk to.  Only 5 days until I get my fabulous tube and only 2 weeks after that I get to ditch hemo and this stupid catheter - woo hoo!
Ya it is amazing how much dialysis has changed over the years!

I wish I woulda taken pics of the whole from set up til dumping the bags stages of PD. Now you can do that if you want! ;) But Baxter has the hose right? No dumping of any bags unlike with FMC :P

That big machine I was on in 1990 I never used at home since I was only on dialysis for 2 months before I got a transplant when I was 16. I wish my luck was that good now :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2006, 06:28:28 PM »

Hey angie... I dont know what a "cap" is but I believe you only use caps on baxter machines... not sure, but I have never used one on a Fresenius machine... as for the snap-disconnect, I have more than 1 to a tubing... my main tubing comes with 2 snap-disconnects and the extra tubing I add on before I hook up has 5 more snap-disconnects. I usually dont add the extra disconnect tubing unless I know i'm going to be using them, b/c for the most part I never even disconnect once, however if I disconnect once and need to do so more b/c of my kids I will add the extra tubing then... but yah, I got a lot of snap disconnects if needed...I think the cap thing your referring to is on baxter... i remember using baxter once in the hospital and they used the phrae cpas a lot...  ;D

P.S. That was awesome only waiting 2 months when u were 16, i wish we all had that luck Huh lol

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2006, 06:32:40 PM »

Hey angie... I dont know what a "cap" is but I believe you only use caps on baxter machines... not sure, but I have never used one on a Fresenius machine... as for the snap-disconnect, I have more than 1 to a tubing... my main tubing comes with 2 snap-disconnects and the extra tubing I add on before I hook up has 5 more snap-disconnects. I usually dont add the extra disconnect tubing unless I know i'm going to be using them, b/c for the most part I never even disconnect once, however if I disconnect once and need to do so more b/c of my kids I will add the extra tubing then... but yah, I got a lot of snap disconnects if needed...I think the cap thing your referring to is on baxter... i remember using baxter once in the hospital and they used the phrae cpas a lot...  ;D

P.S. That was awesome only waiting 2 months when u were 16, i wish we all had that luck Huh lol
No I know what I am talking about but not sure of the name. I was definately on Fresenius. Anyway, I wish I was able to have the extra line with the 5 snap-disconnects! Toward the end when I was retaining more I kept having the runs ... which anyone can imagine is pure hell when tethered to a line for 8 hrs and 45 min!!!  :banghead; :'(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2006, 06:37:08 PM »

:lol; yes, i definatley know what u mean!! i hate when im having tummy trouble and have to spend most of the night in the bathroom, or running there  :lol;

If anyone is on fresenius and they want that extra tubing ill get the item # for yaz, i know ur not on pd anymore angie, but for anyone who is, if ya have the fresenius machine and snap-disconnect connections.. :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 06:56:30 PM »

:lol; yes, i definatley know what u mean!! i hate when im having tummy trouble and have to spend most of the night in the bathroom, or running there  :lol;

If anyone is on fresenius and they want that extra tubing ill get the item # for yaz, i know ur not on pd anymore angie, but for anyone who is, if ya have the fresenius machine and snap-disconnect connections.. :2thumbsup;
You should give the number anyway because that is VERY useful information!  :2thumbsup; :clap;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »