I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:24:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Possible I Hate Dialysis.com ANNUAL Meet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible I Hate Dialysis.com ANNUAL Meet?  (Read 70191 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: September 23, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »

It was brought to my attention by a member (sluff) that he wondered if it was possible to have a "Annual Meet" Now I know it may be impossible for some but I know for example we have a few Californians here on the board. I would like the first meet to be in California. Since I would be the one hosting it. For those who could not make it I would have web cams streaming the "meet" so our members from all over the world could watch and be a part of it some how. We could have a BBQ or a meet up at a restaurant or a conference room or both. This is nothing tentative yet. Just want to get an idea of anyone would be interested in such an event. I may even be able to get "guest speakers" (related to the dialysis industry) to come (just a thought) Again I know for some members this event would be impossible but for those that could come it would be a fun time. And for those who could not make it, we would stream it on the net.

Please speak up and give me some ideas if you would travel to such an event or if you have ideas.

:grouphug;

- Epoman

UPDATED: 12/27/06

So lets gets some tentative information going for the First ANNUAL IHD Meet(s)

So far we have 3 possible meets:

California Meet
Australia Meet
Ohio Meet

(Any other possible meets? Please reply in this thread if you are willing to be a event host.)

I think late August 2007 is a good time, most likely on Saturday.

Here is a list of people I think will go to the California Meet.

• Epoman
  • goofynina
  • sluff
  • Vandie
  • Kitkatz
  • livecam
  • geoffcamp
  • mmmmdeedee
  • okarol

(Please reply in this thread if you will indeed make the meet. I will add you to the list.)

Here is a list of people I think will go to the Ohio meet.

• devlinswife
  • tubes
  • Ohio Buckeye

(Please reply in this thread if you will indeed make the meet. I will add you to the list.)

Here is a list of people I think will go to the Australia meet.

• tamara
  • charee
  • RichardMEL

After see how much fun, Susie and I had at our "Mini-Meet" we definitely need to get a Annual Meet going for our members. So please reply here if you are interested in becoming a part of this. I promise you it will be one hell of a time. You have not lived until you meet goofynina in person.  ;)

And of course you are welcome to BRING YOUR FAMILYS with you.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 04:59:31 AM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
vandie

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 07:51:27 PM »

Fantastic idea.  I'm in. :clap;

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »

I am in Southern CA easy to get there for me.  Ready to go!  Just say when!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »

I think that's a really cool idea.  We'd definitely be up for doing it one year (not this one though).  I'd love to see the meeting via webcam though.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 08:59:35 PM »

I was reading this thread and initially thought it might be a good idea.  The costs associated with traveling for a meeting aren't small and dialysis arrangements would need to be made for most people depending on how long they planned to stay.  I'm thinking an online thing might be easier for most people like something in the chatroom or maybe something that would involve video as well.  Netmeeting, Skype, Paltalk, Yahoo, all these could be used to make this happen.  You wouldn't have to do it just once a year, it could be more frequent.  When I travel there has to be something really good at the other end like history, exotic landscapes, or a beach.  Online might be the way to go here.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 09:39:36 PM »

I think it is a good idea.  Plan it and they will come.

mmmmdeedee

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 09:59:46 PM »

I am also from southern cali. I would definitely go. I think a webcam type thing would be cool but just would be really nice to see everyone in person. Makes a big difference in forming more personal bonds.  :cuddle;

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »

I'm working on some ideas to make it better each year but Epomans Idea would be an excellent start.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 01:27:52 AM »

I was reading this thread and initially thought it might be a good idea.  The costs associated with traveling for a meeting aren't small and dialysis arrangements would need to be made for most people depending on how long they planned to stay.  I'm thinking an online thing might be easier for most people like something in the chatroom or maybe something that would involve video as well.  Netmeeting, Skype, Paltalk, Yahoo, all these could be used to make this happen.  You wouldn't have to do it just once a year, it could be more frequent.  When I travel there has to be something really good at the other end like history, exotic landscapes, or a beach.  Online might be the way to go here.

Well we are already online, and not many have joined the "Skype" user list we have here already. From the PM's I've received and the replys here we already have like 7 people that would come. If we can get at least 10 people it would be a good 1st annual meet. Also don't you live in So.Cal livecam? So you wouldn't have to travel much. But a more frequent online meet would be nice using even just the "dialysischat" chat room. We just need to work on some schedules.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »

I say "let's do this"  ;)   and what other place to meet than.....Tito's Tacos, :P   

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 11:36:40 AM »

You guys and your tacos... >:D ;D
devlinswife

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 07:01:29 PM »

What if we tried doing several meets all over the country and comparing things we did and trade ideas, Like have  the big meet in California, but maybe also have on in the Eastern States at about the same time? Just a idea, I would be willing to plan one in Ohio if anyone in the Eastern States would come, I also live In a great tourist county so there would be incentives to vacation here at the same time. Let me know.

Live each day as if it will be your last!
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 02:55:51 AM »

What if we tried doing several meets all over the country and comparing things we did and trade ideas, Like have  the big meet in California, but maybe also have on in the Eastern States at about the same time? Just a idea, I would be willing to plan one in Ohio if anyone in the Eastern States would come, I also live In a great tourist county so there would be incentives to vacation here at the same time. Let me know.

That is an EXCELLANT idea. Lets see if others are interested. Any other members in Ohio?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 05:47:40 AM »

I might be able to make Ohio, depending on the date.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »

What about a "mini-meet " in Australia for all the members down under, possibly on a Weekend so it doesnt interfere as much for dialysis schedules, could meet in Sydney or Melbourne, etc any other Aussies interested speak up or forever hold your peace............................................

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 06:38:20 AM »

Tremendous idea Tamara. :cuddle;
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 09:02:45 AM »

I WOULD DEFINITELY BE INTERESTED IN TRYING TO GET
TO ONE IN OHIO AREA.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 03:14:12 PM »

Wow guys this is looking GOOD! So far we have members who are interested in a California, Ohio, And Australia MEET! We could do it on the same day or about the same time and we could have each "area host" video tape the event then I would host the videos here and we could all share in the event.

Lets keep it up guys! Keep the ideas rolling in. This could actually happen and maybe we can get some "local press" coverage.

@Sluff,

Ah man I thought you were gonna come to the Cali meet. I want to meet you, and I know goofynina does too!

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 04:25:31 PM »

Have you thought about the area and the place? Catered or uncatered?  Too hard to potluck it, but we could do that since we all eat pretty much similar things due to renal diet.  I am up for most anything.  You could ask Lori Hartwell where she gets places at Renal Network.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 04:47:47 PM »

Have you thought about the area and the place? Catered or uncatered?  Too hard to potluck it, but we could do that since we all eat pretty much similar things due to renal diet.  I am up for most anything.  You could ask Lori Hartwell where she gets places at Renal Network.

Well each "area leader" would be in charge of his or own menu. For the California meet I would think a B.B.Q. would be fun, I have a mexican meat market where I get marinated chicken and carne asada to die for. Also Goofynina asked me if family could come and of course the members could bring their family, the more the merrier. I would love to get Lori Hartwell to come to the California meet she is an amazing woman, my son and I recently met her.

Keep the ideas coming guys.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »

I would love to make California but I travel so much already I can't afford it unless it's planned way in advanced. I gotta meet you too Epoman cause I think you and I could brainstorm some cool ideas. :beer1;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 06:52:47 PM »

I would love to make California but I travel so much already I can't afford it unless it's planned way in advanced. I gotta meet you too Epoman cause I think you and I could brainstorm some cool ideas. :beer1;

Well the meets won't most likely be until the new year. We have a lot of planning to decide and with this time of year with the holidays coming up it may not be a good time until after December.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »

The last week in June is good for us. Almost any year.  I am off of school June 15.

lifenotonthelist.com

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 01:55:40 AM »

Depending on what time of the year, I might be able to make the Ohio meet. Family wants to try to go to Florida this coming spring or summer. How far from Pittsburgh are you devlinswife?

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
devlinswife

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 10:07:42 AM »

I'm not real sure, but I would guess around 2-3 hours. What would be a good date for you to come?

Live each day as if it will be your last!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »