I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How many MG potassium per day is safe
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many MG potassium per day is safe  (Read 3297 times)
pdpatty

« on: June 04, 2009, 12:54:58 AM »

I cannot get an answer anywhere. Know everyone is different  but what is the max potassium is safe?
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:34 AM »

Most I have seen are allowed only 2,000-2,500 mg a day at most.

If one takes medication that causes potassium to rise or their body retains it the daily level could be lower.

The doctor should be the one to set the daily consumption level based on your medical information.

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:03 AM »

Just like to point out that if you are taking BP tablets from the group of medicines know as 'angio retensin blockers' then it can significantly raise serum potassium

Ken
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:38:04 AM »

I have been told by Dr. and dietician to eat as much high potasium foods as I want to and as much high phosphorous foods as I can.  So I guess it is all relative to your labs....  The main that I've learned on here is that no two individuals as the same when it comes to diet, treatment and response to treatment.  How frustrating!

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:25:35 AM »

he main that I've learned on here is that no two individuals as the same when it comes to diet, treatment and response to treatment.  How frustrating!

Dan is absolutely right. The best thing you can do is pay close attention to your labs. Our clinic provides a monthly print-out that shows the ideal range and where my husband falls in relation to that range. If he hits the target, we don't change anything. If not, we simply adjust our diet.

Since the type of dialysis that my husband is on draws out potassium, he has to find ways to eat plenty of it in order not to have to take supplements. It is very individual.

Good luck figuring out what you need for you.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »

You should eat (or not eat) whatever it takes to keep your blood test numbers within normal ranges.  If your blood potassium level is high, eat much less potassium. 

My blood potassium was surprisingly low--so low that my neph told me to eat a medium banana every day!  So I eat a medium banana, or some broccoli, most days--and my blood potassium has been normal for months now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »