I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  We need to start a stupid people thread.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We need to start a stupid people thread.  (Read 5557 times)
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« on: June 09, 2009, 05:20:38 PM »

So I went to Walgreen's to pick up some meds.  I had been waiting on a new Anti Depressant that the Doc had called in for me. It needed to be approved by my insurance.  Well I get the call that it is ready to be picked up.  I didn't ask if the insurance approved it, they called and said it was ready!  So I feel like crap but get my butt up and go, the drive threw is packed so I have to get down. I feel like crap, I don't want to but I do it.  I go up there and they tell me I have 115.00 dollars due.  The insurance still hasn't approved it. So tell me again why they called me?  Right now I could care less about the darn med. I didn't want to get out of bed.  I feel like dog doo... I hate people.

Edited: Fixed error in subject line- okarol/admin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:49:10 PM by okarol » Logged

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »

I just got a prescription - same one I've had for years - usually it's a $10 co-pay -- but this time it's $239.00! It had been delivered, so they were reluctant to take it back... ? Shheeesh. My hubby had to convince them to let us return it for a generic. Why don't they let us know something is over the co-pay before delivering??
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:32:10 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »

I had been undergoing treatment for prostate problems (urinary catheterization) prior to starting dialysis.  Then I was hospitalized to have the dialysis catheter inserted in me.  I had just gotten back from Surgery to a hospital room, still a little groggy from the anesthesia, when I received a phone call:  My insurer was refusing to pay for my catheterization equipment. 

There I was, lying in a hospital bed, only a couple hours out of Surgery, still groggy from anesthesia, phone in my hand, arguing with my insurance company!
marti824

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »

Insurance companies can be ridiculous.  I used to work for one. A stupid people thrad will get a lot of attention, there are a lot of stupid people out there!  Can't wait to read some of these stories.
Phraxis

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »

not to be political but next time you are voting (in the US) ask if they support a public medical system like in Canada.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:45 PM »

I'll probably have something to right the next time I go to a doctor or pharmacy.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Phraxis

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »

who won the race in 95?
cat

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:03:33 AM »

When they started using my fistula, the CNP prescribed Lidocaine and Prilocaine cream for me to use before coming to treatment.  I do not like needles, so I smeared it on my arm from elbow to shoulder!  Needless to say, after a little over a month, I was running out, so I tried to refill the prescription.  The pharmacy informed me that my insurance company denied the claim because the 30-gram tube was supposed to last for 60 days!  :banghead;   By the time the doctor, CNP and I could convince the insurance company to cover the cream, the 60 days had passed.  (I am more judicious in my use of the cream now!)

cat
Chalice

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 07:00:19 AM »

Oh, don't even get me started on insurance companies. I am the contract manager for a hospital. It is my job to ensure that our hospital gets paid according to the contracts that we have with the insurance companies. It is amazing what the insurance companies try to get away with! Crazy excuses of why they pay less or not at all than what they are supposed to. And denials......oh boy. Not medically necessary. Experimental. Blah, blah, blah. Who the hell do they think they are? There really does need to be some laws passed that favor the patient care and well-being. Healthcare needs an enima!  :rant;

We do what we have to do until we know what we are doing.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »

who won the race in 95?

If I remember right, lJaque (sp?) Villneve (sp?)

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

marti824

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 03:46:42 PM »

oh chalice i hear you.  I used to work for Anthem blue cross blue shield at one time.  i had a doctor's office call to re-evaluate a claim payment.  the patient had been given a breast reduction surgery and the insurance company treated it as two separate surgeries and paid accordingly.  with two surgeries on the same day, they pay in full for the first and only 50% for the second.  Imagine if that poor woman had only had one done at a a time?!
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »

Why would it matter if you got them done one at a time or not?  They have to pay the same amount, but they wouldn't need to put her out twice!  How stupid.  Poor lady had to walk around with two diffrent size boobs!

Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »

cat    my nep doc writes the prescription for 60m or two tubes of the cream and that way it last a lot longer and it is still 15.00 just lke the one tube costs

MandaMe -- I we lived closer to each other I would go to the store for you -- hope you feel better
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »

MandaMe -- I we lived closer to each other I would go to the store for you -- hope you feel better

Thanks I am feeling better today.  A lot, and thinking about going down to Cruses next weekend. Your cute son gonna be back in town? *wink* haha

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

right now he is knee deep in Physics and football     :clap; :clap; :clap;
glad you are better and what is a Cruses ?
I have to go have a stress test in the morning and I am afraid -
the last time I did one I felt like I was going to die- it is the IV thing -
I also said I felt like I am going to have diarrhea and they said I wasn't and I did -
it was downtown Houston
tomorrow is close to home in Conroe
I sound like a sissy butt and I am one and I am afraid -
gee -- - let's see how close to death we can get this fat lady ....
( has not been said yet - but I know it will )
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »

Sounds like you  have yourself a good boy there ;)

My best friend is down there, she wants me to go down for a few days, and truthfuly I could use a few days to get some thoughts together.

I don't like test like those, they scare me too. So don't worry your not a sissy. If it starts feeling like its to much, tell them to stop. To hell with them.

marti824

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:48:44 PM »

stress tests stink, i've had one.  have to go for a colonoscopy in two week, not looking forward to that at all.  its part of the testing to get on the list.  ugh!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »

I've had both types of stress test, don't like either one really, but the treadmill didn't make me feel like I had gone to the bathroom in my pants like the IV did.

Marti if you can, have the colonoscopy while your asleep so you don't know what's going on. Have had to have one pre tx as a work up, shortly after tx, and then again yeasr later. Always been asleep for all. Somethings I just don't want to know what's going on or hear. First one they told me to relax before the sedation kicked in. Yeah right, relax! You relax when I stick this tube up your whazoo and tell me how you feel I think, IDIOTS!

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

marti824

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »

Chris, I'm pretty sure they always put you to sleep.  i'm more worried about the prep. the thought of drinking a gallon of that nasty tasting fluid is already making me gag. oh well, I've survived everything else so far, I guess I'll survive this too.  it helps knowing there are people that go through the same crap. (literally!)
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 09:18:51 AM »

They put you to sleep if it is a full colonoscopy, but there is another test that they do that isn't a full one. I can't remember the name of it but they don't put you to sleep, don't even give you drugs to relax you.  It isn't very fun that is for sure. Haha

marti824

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »

I'll bet it isn't.  they'll put me to sleep, or I'll put them to sleep!  My husband, the bulldog, will be with me, he'll make sure they do the right thing.  he's good that way.
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »

Well when they call insurance companies "Health care providers" it makes me laugh. Insurance companies aren't there to provide health care. They're there to make money!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »

Chris, I'm pretty sure they always put you to sleep.  i'm more worried about the prep. the thought of drinking a gallon of that nasty tasting fluid is already making me gag. oh well, I've survived everything else so far, I guess I'll survive this too.  it helps knowing there are people that go through the same crap. (literally!)

I had the full scope and at first was not given the option of being asleep, just relaxed. Told them I wasn't going to be relaxed, I don't want to know, feel, or hear what is going on. And yes, that prep stuff is nasty. Invest in paper and move bed or chair close to the restroom!

I didn't have and stupid people experiences with myself at the eye doc, but he sure did with a phone conversation he had (phone was on the outside of the room.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »

They put you to sleep if it is a full colonoscopy, but there is another test that they do that isn't a full one. I can't remember the name of it but they don't put you to sleep, don't even give you drugs to relax you.

That's a sigmoidoscopy Amanda. Bad enough when you're normal, but when you've got diarrhea you are particularly sensitive in that area, so it's NOT NICE. Especially as you get, as you say, no drugs to relax you.

As for colonoscopy, I was only lightly sedated and woke up 1/2 way through. When I finally came round I had a big bruise on my chest and I've no idea how I got it other than it was something during the examination.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »

They put you to sleep if it is a full colonoscopy, but there is another test that they do that isn't a full one. I can't remember the name of it but they don't put you to sleep, don't even give you drugs to relax you.

That's a sigmoidoscopy Amanda. Bad enough when you're normal, but when you've got diarrhea you are particularly sensitive in that area, so it's NOT NICE. Especially as you get, as you say, no drugs to relax you.

As for colonoscopy, I was only lightly sedated and woke up 1/2 way through. When I finally came round I had a big bruise on my chest and I've no idea how I got it other than it was something during the examination.
\

Yeah it isn't very nice.  I like my drugs too.. Haha. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »