I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 02:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Any Coffee drinkers on Dialysis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Coffee drinkers on Dialysis?  (Read 10839 times)
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 09:30:27 AM »

I have never paid any attention really to the way coffee tastes. I drink it like medicine. I don't use surgar or cream, or milk I drink it black. If it's yesterday's coffee, I heat it up in the microwave. No matter what, I have to have it. Number 1 to help promote peristalsis and no. 2 to be awake. My wife uses creamer, and sugar. Kinda' makes it like a sweet hot coffee shake. I don't use it as a beverage. I use coffee like a drug. When I was young my mother told me that coffee was good with out any additives. . . I've been using it the same way ever since. I tried to "not drink" coffee when I first started dialysis, because of the fluid intake, but I found that I was more miserable due to the lack of coffee than I was due to the X-tra fluid. Oh wel, 8)l Ah'mona die someday anyway. 8)
BigSteve

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 10:24:12 AM »

Has any one tried the new McDonald's coffee drinks? One review in the Los Angeles Times called them
"caffinated milkshakes". I get a whole bean decaf coffee from my local coffee store. (not Starbucks)

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »

I've tried those expensive ones from Whole Foods and Central Market.  Better than Starbucks for sure.  But not for the budget conscious.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 11:43:57 AM »

Has any one tried the new McDonald's coffee drinks? One review in the Los Angeles Times called them
"caffinated milkshakes". I get a whole bean decaf coffee from my local coffee store. (not Starbucks)

I have since it's way cheaper than Starbuuck's. Not a big fan of them. I can just go down the street to my hospital or library and get better coffee for the same price and size that is freshly made.

Haven't tried Starbuck's coffee since they reformulated the roast of the beans. I couldn't stand their decaf coffee taste unless I was getting a latte with flavor added. My favorite is Dunkin Donuts decaf and for $2.12 I get an extra large cup (24 oz) which helps get my fluids in for the day I need. Mc Donald's decaf would be my second choice, but theirs is more expensive for just a large and I get less. Theirs is only 20 oz. I would like to go back to caffinated coffee, but my transplant center say's not to because it works the kidneys harder and raises the blood pressure. However the more people I ask post transplant, the more I think my center is alone on that since the people I have talked to haven't had to switch to decaf.

I'll drink coffee anyway I can get it. I switch between cream/sweet n low, sweet n low only, and just plain coffee. It's just my first cup as a kid was cream and sugar (drank my mom's Mc Donald's coffee while staying with her at ork  :oops; , then her chocolate milk shake too  :oops; ;D Then she told me to go downstairs and play in the arcade  :rofl;  Arcade = Game Room pre 1990's before pc games. We had to put quarters in machines or tokens to play video games, pinball machines, or the indoor bumber cars.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cherpep

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »

I LOVE Dunkin Donuts coffee. 
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »

I just love Dunkin Donuts....

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »

I Love Fresh made Coffee

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »

and ice coffee, and coffee ice cream, and mocha and chocolate pie with ground coffee......

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »

And no, Starbucks tasting bad has nothing to do with your tastebuds - they just make sh*t coffee.  I'm with Hurlock on the coffee issue - if you love your coffee it's worth a bit of discomfort!  And Chris I forget you're so young!  I'm not that much older than you (45) but there was no McDonalds when I was young.  Can you imagine it?  Ha ha.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

But there was a Jack in the Box....

hurlock1

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »

But there was a Jack in the Box....
I grew up with Jack in the box! There's been no J in The B here in Albuquerque NM since we moved here in 2002. BUT! right down the street They're building one! Yumbo Yacks! Jack in the box greazy tacos. Thank heaven for small favors. It may Kill me, Jumbo Jacks and J in the B Tacos but I love'em. Can't wait. We didn't have MickeyDs until 1975. I didn't like them. At that time, a Burger King Whopper with cheese was $.45 Coffee at a burger joint or even a coffee joint just doesn't seem right to me when I can make a whole pot of FOLGERS at home for less than half of what a small cup at the coffee joint charges. Forget it.
jmz
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »

lol.  I like those JinB tacos too.  Weird because when you look  inside them they look pretty disgusting.

BigSteve

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

I'm older, but I remember McDonalds because some of the first stores were in southern CA.
That was before they hit their first million, and they were still edible.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »

J and B tacos are disgusting! Deep fried everything!  gag! However Jack has some pretty good salads and the double cheeseburger....

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:47:23 PM »

I'm not a ice coffee lover. I just believe coffee is meant to be served hot.  ;D

Hanify, at that time coffee was 45 cents to and they only had one size. If you wanted decaf, you got instant Sanka packet. Mc Donalds HQ  I use to live by and their closest restaurant up the road charges a lot more for their food too ??? Maybe because it's in a snooty neighborhood? Mc Donalds on my way to college offers a smal coffee during the fall for 25 cents and I use to show up to class with 4, cheaper than my usual 24 oz Dunkin Donuts coffee. :2thumbsup;

When making coffee at home though, it never taste like when you buy it from Dunkin Donuts even though you are using the same beans, odd. I have a Foldgers decaf next to me right now though. ;D

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »

Yum.  I fancy a large latte right now.  Is everyone else seeing Spanish tonight on ihd?  Very cute.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »

I don't know ow to read or speak Spanish. I took German in H.S. because I knew a certain girl was taking it, plus there was a plan to go to Germany in the spring. Now I can only remember a couple words in German/Deutsch.

I could go for either a rasberry or blackbery latte or a white chocolate rasberry mocha

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 01:04:41 AM »

now you're just teasing us!!!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 04:17:53 AM »

All I want is my one morning cup (mug) of instant coffee.  Black and Strong.

hurlock1

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 04:38:04 AM »

I have since it's way cheaper than Starbuuck's. Not a big fan of them. I can just go down the street to my hospital or library and get better coffee for the same price and size that is freshly made.

Haven't tried Starbuck's coffee since they reformulated the roast of the beans. I couldn't stand their decaf coffee taste unless I was getting a latte with flavor added. My favorite is Dunkin Donuts decaf and for $2.12 I get an extra large cup (24 oz) which helps get my fluids in for the day I need. Mc Donald's decaf would be my second choice, but theirs is more expensive for just a large and I get less. Theirs is only 20 oz. I would like to go back to caffinated coffee, but my transplant center say's not to because it works the kidneys harder and raises the blood pressure. However the more people I ask post transplant, the more I think my center is alone on that since the people I have talked to haven't had to switch to decaf.

I'll drink coffee anyway I can get it. I switch between cream/sweet n low, sweet n low only, and just plain coffee. It's just my first cup as a kid was cream and sugar (drank my mom's Mc Donald's coffee while staying with her at ork  :oops; , then her chocolate milk shake too  :oops; ;D Then she told me to go downstairs and play in the arcade  :rofl;  Arcade = Game Room pre 1990's before pc games. We had to put quarters in machines or tokens to play video games, pinball machines, or the indoor bumber cars.
Again I have never drank Decaf. What for? To me that's like taking a placebo to cure cancer. I admit I do like the taste of coffee a little, but I drink coffee in the morning to help promote peristalsis. It works most of the time. I haven't drank any coffee this morning and it's twenty minutes and I have to go to dialysis. So, no coffee this morning unless I want to get off dialysis and go to the bathroom about 30 min. after they hook me up. #1 and #2.  :)
hurlock1

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »

All I want is my one morning cup (mug) of instant coffee.  Black and Strong.
Same with me. I need it.
cherpep

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:24 AM »

Got my morning coffee in hand right now, treated myself and got Dunkin Donuts coffee (skipped the donuts, though).  Mmmmmmm Good Coffee!
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 05:07:08 AM »

I actually had a cup of coffee this morning. I love my Coffee it still a little funny tasting but NO HEADACHE! so I will take my chance..

DW 7 Hurlock, J&B tacos were always my Drunk food  :o ... when I drank back in the 90's.. But not anymore if I looked in it I would be grossed out..

Chris I too think that coffee should be a hot beverage.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:09:56 AM by Tinah1968 » Logged

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »