I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney recipient waiting for another for his girlfriend
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney recipient waiting for another for his girlfriend  (Read 1329 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 31, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

Kidney recipient waiting for another for his girlfriend

05-21-09
By DEBORAH ZACHER

Special Projects Writer

Published: Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:16 AM CDT
By DEBORAH ZACHER

Special Projects Writer

When Janie Gloria's son needed a new kidney, she didn't hesitate to offer her own.

Now, two months after the transplant, mother and son, Amos Arteaga, are well on their way to recovery.

"We're both doing great," Gloria said. "Every day he gets better and better."

Arteaga was diagnosed with Alport syndrome when he was 6. Alport syndrome is an inherited disease that can cause kidney failure and deafness and damage the eyes.

Whenhewasdiagnosed,doctorsthoughtbythetimehewas18Arteagawouldmostlikelylosehiskidneys.Afewmonthsafterhis18thbirthdayhiskidneysbegantofail,forcinghimtoundergodialysistreatmentsthreetimesaweek.

The family moved from San Antonio to Plainview to be closer to family. Arteaga's father, Peter Arteaga, also lives here.

Arteaga continued his dialysis treatments in Lubbock with Gloria faithfully taking him to each appointment. However, in October the family received the news that he needed a new kidney . . . fast.

So on Feb. 18 Gloria gave up one of her kidneys to save her son.

"It belonged to him," she said.

After the surgery Arteaga recovered quickly.

"I was already walking to her room (while she was still lying in bed)," he laughed. "I feel good now."

The two stayed in the hospital for three days before they were allowed to go home.

The surgery has had a positive impact on Arteaga's life.

"I'm always outside doing something now," he said.

Now that his health is back and Gloria has recovered enough to return to work at Cargill Meat Solutions, the family is rallying around Arteaga's girlfriend, Maria Huerta, who also is in need of a kidney transplant

The two met in Houston through their mothers. Gloria and Graciela Arizpe grew up together and introduced their children at the dialysis center.

Huerta, 23, moved to Plainview with Arteaga because the transplant waiting list is shorter here than in the Houston area.

Her doctors aren't sure why her kidneys aren't working, but the single mother has been on dialysis for six years. Her two sons -- Anthony, 9, and Leo, 10, -- also are living in Plainview.

It's been hard for Huerta spending time with her children when she is exhausted, but her kids have been taking it all in stride.

"They're used to it," she said. "They come home and do their chores. They're coping with it. It's hard because I can't attend their school festivities because I get too tired . . . I just can't do the things that a normal mom would do."

Her wait for a kidney may take longer than expected because the list of available organ donors is shorter now than in previous years.

Dr.IlhanYildizsaidit'simportanttogetthewordoutaboutorgandonation.

"I can't say enough about organ donation," Yildiz, who had a heart transplant in November 2007, said when he gave a presentation about his experience to the Lions Club a few weeks ago. "The gains (of organ donation) are not monetary; they are invaluable."

Lifesharers,aWebsitesetuptoprovideinformationaboutorgandonation,hassuggestedthattheUnitedNetworkforOrganSharing(UNOS)compiletwowaitinglists:the"A"listforregisteredorgandonorsanda"B"listfornon-donors.

Lifesharers suggests UNOS should only allocate an organ to someone on the "B" list if it isn't needed by anyone of the "A" list.

By doing this, "More people would donate their organs if refusing to donate would put them on the 'B' list," a press release from Lifesharers states.

WhileYildizthinkstheproposalhasmerit,healsowantstomakethosewhoareregisteredasorgandonorstobemadefinal.Currently,thoseregistriescanberevokedbythefamily.

"I personally think another regulatory improvement can be made by joining donor registries regionally or nationally under official capacity and making donor registration for deceased donation final and irrevocable by next of kin," he said. "Individuals and civil organizations must increase their efforts in promoting organ donation."

As she waits for her own transplant, Huerta is leaning on support from Gloria and Arteaga.

"My kids are comfortable and they love it here, "she said."It's been alot of help. Not only does Janie care about her son, she takes care of me and my family."

A love fund has been set up at Compass Bank for Maria Huerta to help pay for medical expenses as she awaits her transplant.

(Contact Deborah Zacher at dzacher@hearstnp.com or 806-296-1360.)

http://www.myplainview.com/articles/2009/05/31/breaking_news/217934dh_xml.txt

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »