I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:23:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I see you in a different light.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I see you in a different light.  (Read 5754 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: May 31, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »

I have noticed that quite a few of us on here have been abandoned by our families and friends, is this down to dialysis? Why when we need someone the most do they turn their back on us?  Are they afraid? If so then how do they think we feel? My family havent been in touch for over 6 months now ,they dont know if im dead or alive. I see them in a different light now. I never had a big group of friends , just a couple that i was very close too and knew for over 30 yrs, the only time i hear from them is if they want to go out drinking at night , so i can do the driving. When im not well they put it down to moods, not the fact im living with kidney failure. My so called best friend sent me a txt today to see if i wanted to go out ,the same best friend who hasnt contacted me for over 3 weeks, the same best friend who lives 2 mins away , the same best friend who took 2 days to reply to MY last txt. I see them all in a different light.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »

When I was first told about my kidney failure right before Thanksgiving I had decided I was ready to die at 68 years instead of  going through dialysis.  I was depressed and making plans to go in a few months.  My friends basically avoided me.  That made me more depressed.  And finally  about 7 weeks ago I changed my mind.  I had been on  IHD a month or so by then.  My nephrologist (the nicest guy around and arguably the best nephrologist in town  (with the exception of his father who  consults on my case) told me I'd go into a coma in a matter of  weeks.  He said, I cannot  tell you what to do.  Then he said, would you like to know what I would do?  Right or wrong I said yes.  He said, precisely what he would, down to the last detail.  I said not this week!  Maybe next.  So he  went ahead and set up the hospital room, the surgeon, etc. right then for  one week later.

Sorry I rambled, but here  is what  I wanted to say.  Immediately all of my friends returned.  I was inundated with offers of help, rides, good food and lots of company.  I  think they just couldn't handle my depression.  I  refused some of the offers because I so used to doing the help rather than received it.  And they  I notice that they all seem to be happier when I let them do things.  God I  love those people now even more than before.

Family: all if have close is one brother.  He calls but that's all.  Do you think he may be afraid I'll ask him for a kidney???  I  wouldn't.  He is much younger than I and needs all the body parts he can get.

I guess what I really wanted to say is perhaps your friends are afraid and don't want to face what you are looking at.  It's not right but it is certainly understandable.  If you can't go out drinking with them, could you invite them by for a cup of tea or something?  Just to let them see that you are coping.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »

I am closer to some members of IHD than I am to my own family.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

Hi, Kickstart,

We frail humans never know how we are going to respond to new situations. Some of us find heroism where we never knew it resided, and some of us discover that we are unable to cope with frightening conditions.

Some people say that their friends turned out to be fair weather friends when the winds of life blow in a storm and those friends seem to disappear. But they may be no more guilty of being fair weather friends, than any one else. They may just have come to the realization that they don't cope well with illness. Or they may be in denial, hoping that your condition will improve if they wait long enough.

I hope that you will find that some of your friends prove to be more sincere than they currently appear. But if not, you are sure to find a community of people who know you and care for you as you are.

I wish the very best for you.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »

Oh yea, Cheryl, I feel I made some really good friends here.  Just like in any community there are those you feel close to, though you like and those you try to avoid.  Weird?  Twirl has been so kind to me.  To hell with family, I'm glad to have such a good bud on line.  Although we really should plan a Houston outing sometime....  Yes, even Aggies and Tsips can get along.......

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 10:28:31 AM »

I have noticed that quite a few of us on here have been abandoned by our families and friends, is this down to dialysis? Why when we need someone the most do they turn their back on us?  Are they afraid? If so then how do they think we feel? My family havent been in touch for over 6 months now ,they dont know if im dead or alive. I see them in a different light now. I never had a big group of friends , just a couple that i was very close too and knew for over 30 yrs, the only time i hear from them is if they want to go out drinking at night , so i can do the driving. When im not well they put it down to moods, not the fact im living with kidney failure. My so called best friend sent me a txt today to see if i wanted to go out ,the same best friend who hasnt contacted me for over 3 weeks, the same best friend who lives 2 mins away , the same best friend who took 2 days to reply to MY last txt. I see them all in a different light.

I'll do you one better, I have not seen or talked to my "supposed" best friend in three months!  And yes I know that a friendship works in both directions, but see I have called her numerous times in the past year or so and she is always too busy to talk or visit.  I know she's telling me the truth about being too busy, but she seems to be able to make time for everyone else, so I stopped calling her.  The last time I called HER was in Oct. to tell her I was getting a transplant in Nov.   The conversation ended with her inviting herself to Vegas with me for the IHD meet (which I was happy to have her along), then she stiffed me for her 1/2 of the room, as well as her 1/2 of dinner at the airport on the way home.  She did find about an hour to come visit me in the hospital in early Nov. and the next time I saw here was when I ran into her at a restarant in January.  She never calls to see how my kidney is working or how I'm doing.

I'm 41.  I have decided that I will NOT beg people to be or remain my friend.  Due to reasons beyond my control, and not kidney disease related, I have lost four good friends in the last year.  All I can say is Thank God for Facebook and IHD, because I have made and/or rekindled 100 other friendships!

Life must go on!    Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I'll be your friend.   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »

I think you all know that some of my best friends are right here.   :grouphug;   I know anywhere in the world I go, there is someone I could call to meet for dinner.  Maybe I depend on all of you too much.  I need to get to Texas!  There are many of you in Texas!!  And you are all fun   :2thumbsup;    This disease has taught me how to react to other's illnesses.   If you can't cook a meal for someone, send a restaurant gift card.  Or drop by with take out food; Boston Market makes good "home" syle meals.  If you are financially well off, hire Merry Maids to come in; just once would be a big help.  I am not a phone person. So long conversations don't work for me, but a short note or card is greatly appreciated. And unexpected surprise in the mail will make the whole week better.  Don't say "tell me if I can do anything", just do something.   So, I am trying to put this in action.  I hope I can be more aware when people are ill.  My sister in law had her ankle fused last week and out of work for three months.  My brother is very sick, but doesn't want me to know how sick.  (he thinks he is protecting me).  I am trying to put more notes in the mail, write emails, etc.    I am rambling.  :rofl;  I think people rally around some illnesses, but don't know what to do with kidney and dialysis patients.    I'm just grateful to have all of you. :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:25 PM »

I think a lot of what Kellyt and Paris says is oh so true!!! Especially ..Dont say' tell me if i can do anything' ..just do something.!   I have txt my friend today ..no reply ..i have visited her everyday when she twisted her ankle ..when i havent felt well enough to get ready to go out ive cooked for her .. and NO i havent been asked to hers while she cooks for me. Guess some people are givers and some takers, sadly my 2 closest friends are takers as ive found out !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »

One of the interesting side effects of suffering through Dialysis is to discover who really gives a damn.  I find when it comes to co-workers asking about my health, I just say, "I'm fine" because once I tell them what's REALLY going on, their eyes glaze over and you can see the words dancing above their head, "Oh, why did I ask that question?"

I find that I scare people away because of my condition.  My family has always been very kind and supportive, but I have also learned not to tell them any details either.  My Mom will start crying on the phone or my Dad will ask lots of questions and, after a while, you just don't want to dish out worry every week to your family.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »

Having kidney disease is like a friend test for me.  I met my husband before I got sick, but shallow me thought of him as a nice guy that I would never date.  He was one friend who never abandoned me and was with me through everything.  It's funny how your priorities change.  My best girlfirend may not alway be there physically for me, she has her own health issues, but I can call her 100 times a day and bitch about whatever is bothering me and she will listen.  I don't have a lot of firends, but those that I do have have proved themselves to be godsends.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »

Bette, how nice ... people aren't really bad.  They just don't understand.  Education is the key... There is education fo diabetes, heart disease, cancer of all kinds.  But Kidney is such a funny word. 

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

No one really wants to hear about dialysis. Their eyes glaze over and I get odd reactions if I try to tell someone about it.  So I come here a lot.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »

We have quite a few friends who have stuck with us through it all; others fell by the way-side.  I have come to realize that the ones who fell off didn't know what to say, what to do, or how to handle the magnitude of it themselves.

Our family has stayed with us -- especially my mom and dad.  My dad has called Marvin every single day for the last 14 1/2 years just to "check on" him (they live two hours away from us).  Daddy usually only talks to me if I'm the one to answer the phone.  Most days, he talks to Marvin for 10-15 minutes and then tells Marvin to tell me "Hello" (even if I'm right there).

We're lucky; through it all, we've never felt "alone."
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 04:45:57 AM »

"just a couple that i was very close too and knew for over 30 yrs, the only time i hear from them is if they want to go out drinking at night , so i can do the driving.  "
I've had "friends" like that. The illusion of friendship is at best a friendship of a "friendship" of nessessity. If they are your friends, what would it hurt to be the designated driver? On the other hand, drunk drunks are pretty boring if you're sober. No need to wait for them to call only to be the driver. The way I drive if I am going anywhere with other people, they drive. Drunks aren't as selfish as they are insensitive.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 04:47:20 AM »

It seemed more to me that noone wanted to be around if I was resigned to giving up.  But when I started trying to get better, everyone will ask me about it.  Some have even asked if they could go with me sometime.  I said maybe later when I'm more comfortable.  People want to feel the fistala.  One good friends  gets really exciting when he hears it.  The first time he started to laughed with joy.  Hey,  I have so many caring friends, I can't wait to get out and make some more.  Or else to get to Vegas and meet some of my friends I've neverf seen before....!!!

I have a half niece ( I guess you call the daughter of a half sister)  that i've not seen since she was six or seven.  She and her sister lived with us during a bad time in our family.  When she found this out, she and one of her daughters (whom I've never met) are coming to visit me the 20th of June.  I'm really excited.  And I've found lots of relatives on Facebook I'm looking forward to meeting.  I would never have taken the time to do this before.

Life is not over... Thanks for my fabulous nephrologist and to one special member of IHD who convinced me to go through with this.

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »

You know I have had family and friends come and go while being sick.  When I first got sick my dad took off to live in Los Cruses cause it was to much for him to deal with.    At the time I was mad, I hated my father.  But you know I have issues dealing with it, especially when I first found out.  So why wouldn't others that love us have issues with it?  We all deal with stuff differently, me  I am a caregiver I can't turn my back on someone who needs help.  But that is me. It has always been that way even before I got sick.  Some people just can't do it. You can't blame them for not being able to deal with your illness when it is hard enough for you to. Ya know?  That is just how I feel about it. 

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:50:03 AM »

I think absolutely you find out who your real friends are vs the "fair weather friends" and in a way it can be quite revealing. For example there are some people who ask how I am and I just say fine because I know telling the truth like "Oh yeah I feel pretty drained today and I cramped horribly at Dialysis yesterday" would not go down well.. then there are others who read my comments on facebook or whatever and actually come and ask me about it with concern, and that I apprieciate and feel more comfortable discussing. Like I said you get to know who is really a friend and who isn't.

and heck I know I always have the women of IHD if all else fails!!!  :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 08:19:11 AM »

Its not a case of my friends cant handle it ..its a case of they are not interested .. Ive tried both ways .. explaining in detail how it affects me and just getting to the point of saying im ok , and like a lot of you said you see that vacant look on their face. But besides that my friends can handle it when it suits them ..they dont have a problem spending hours in my company if im driving (I think hurlock said ..so what if you are the designated driver) but what he doesnt realize is  a) the price of petrol over here and the fact my friend has 2 cars , a good job, a husband with his own company, free use of her works car , while im on a tight budget to run my little car. But that aside its always 'presumed' i will drive . So my friends dont have an issue being around me when im driving , my closest friend would txt me everyday once over , when i had my horse, so she could ride it. I guess im answering my own questions here about just how good a friend they are. Sooooooooooooo how do i make some new ones ??????????

keefbeer

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »

I,ve had exactly the same reaction from family, friends and long term work mates. My brother who received a transplant has not spoken to me for 3 years, friends no longer call or come around, two in particular that I started school with 45 years ago are a miss, work mates with 30 years friendship have also disappeared into the ether.
So now rather than text, phone or e-mail them my new strategy is just to screw them and concentrate on trying to stay healthy and happy.
I can accept the way things are but the part that really pisses me off is that a lot of these people or their spouses where good friends of my wife and she on top of everything else has lost these connections.
I am not sure that all these people think I have the bubonic plague or my ill-health may be a glimpse into their own future whatever I will remember their actions.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 03:05:15 PM »

I,ve had exactly the same reaction from family, friends and long term work mates. My brother who received a transplant has not spoken to me for 3 years, friends no longer call or come around, two in particular that I started school with 45 years ago are a miss, work mates with 30 years friendship have also disappeared into the ether.
So now rather than text, phone or email them my new strategy is just to screw them and concentrate on trying to stay healthy and happy.I can accept the way things are but the part that really pisses me off is that a lot of these people or their spouses where good friends of my wife and she on top of everything else has lost these connections.
I am not sure that all these people think I have the bubonic plague or my ill-health may be a glimpse into their own future whatever I will remember their actions.

My thoughts exactly!    My longtime friends like from High School, or friends I haven't spoken to in years, now THEY are extremely interested in my health and life.  Some of these I speak to on a regular basis either over the phone, through email or Facebook.  I love those friends!  But it's the "friends" I've made in the last 10-15 years that have really disappointed me.  The friend I mention above was my roommate in the early 90's, we did musical theater together, I was in her wedding, I'm Godmother to her daughter, blah, blah, blah.  We've always been close in the past.  But with her I do not believe it is the kidney disease that keeps her away.  I just think she's lost interest in my life and our friendship in general.  I find that extremely sad, but I'm not going to be the one to always call and always invite and always be the one who is waiting for her to "call me back".  Not going to do it.  Not anymore anyway.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »

I've been really lucky with friends and family - all my good friends are still my good friends, and all my family are there for me.  My mum comes and does the housekeeping, and the laundry - and she's 79!!  I can't help wondering though, whether I might have been one of those people you're talking about in the past.  I've never been very good with illness, and kidney disease is one of the hardest, cos it aint gonna get better eh?  I think maybe people find it hard to deal with, cos you can't send a 'get well card' for kidney failure/dialysis.  It's so ongoing (don't we all know it).  I think I'd be tempted to try to hook up with other ihders in your area.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 04:33:23 PM »

I could tell you one of the things you could do to start making new friends, but you'd be really upset with me if  I did.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »

I see you in a different light..... by Doug Stone.  I use to hear this song and fantasize that "Mark" in the office would be singing this about me.    8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sh0qj8WVV4

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »

People are funny....  sometimes they want to be your friend or lend a helping hand or just get really busy avoiding you....  I remember in 2000 I quit my job as a microbiologist and became a truck driver and saw the country.... most of my friends and mostly my family have had very little interaction with me since them.....  I  loved seeing the country....   There has been many times in my past that I would go camping or backpacking , fishing or whatever  and I cant get anyone to go....so I go alone..... no big deal... but again family and friends think your stupid for going alone..... I have always said ... just because you cant find some one to go do it.... just go do it.......  I have been like that my whole life..... Now that I am off the road because of this kidney stuff.... Most of my family doesnt even know that I have kidney problems...... Since they turned their backs on me ( as they thought they were better than me since I became a truck driver) I will not tell them I am sick.... I wont ask them for a kidney... and I will still go and do what I can when I can....... I may not be able to go back packing for many days in the woods like I use to but I can still go catch springers or trout  and go on day hikes...... And I will go..... right after Dialysis......... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
cherpep

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »

When people ask me how I am (outside of IHD), I always respond - Good, and how are you?  I have found that if they REALLY want to know how I am, they will ask more pointed questions, then I am more honest and detailed.   Lots of people in my family commented that they didn't want to always ask, because they knew it was draining to give the horrid details all the time - CaringBridge has been a huge help in that area.  People check it if they really want to know, and I can give out as many or as few details as I would like. 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »