I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 01:45:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bob's Blog Saturday 5-30-09
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bob's Blog Saturday 5-30-09  (Read 2322 times)
BobN

« on: May 30, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »

Bob Here

Being on dialysis is not exactly a boon for your social life.

This past weekend (Memorial Day), my wife and I decided to have a “date weekend.”

Why, you might ask.

Well, because, when we sat down and thought about it, we hadn’t actually been on a date since the Eisenhower Administration.

It had been a while.

And, it’s not like we’re not into spending time with each other, we truly are.

But I work full time, and, hmmm, let’s see, what else takes up a lot of the time in my life.

Oh yeah, I’m on dialysis.  That’s it.

Everybody here knows what it’s like when you get home from a treatment in the evening.

Your idea of a successful personal interaction is standing up and heading for bed without passing out.

Not exactly the height of romance.

Now, a few words on the subject of romance.  I’ve found that it comes naturally to some, and is very difficult for others.

Like most people, I have definitive strengths and weaknesses.

For example, I’m very good with numbers.  When I see a page full of numbers, those numbers sing to me, I immediately get the inter-relationships, and can quickly spot errors.  Comes in handy, being in Corporate Finance, right?

When it comes to romance, however, I’m a complete pinhead.

I can be in a setting with romantic potential, say a restaurant, and all I’m concerned with is getting a seat where you can see the TV, checking out the menu, and asking about the specials of the day.

My wife will be looking at me doubtfully, as if to say, “hey…knucklehead…remember me?”

And even then I don’t get it.  I misinterpret her look, and say something really classy, like, “what’s wrong honey, your appetizer go bad?”

I think she lost hope a long time ago about me potentially seeing the light and getting it turned around romantically.

But then toss in the time constraints of being on dialysis, and you really don’t get a pretty picture.

I think the key to breaking out of these ruts we get in is to force yourself to think outside of your normal comfort level.

For instance, we’re both basically home bodies, but we went out to dinner as part of our “date weekend.”

She doesn’t really like movies, but she agreed to watch a movie with me on Friday.

(Actually, there was a pretty significant trade-off on my part.  More on that later.)

Then we went to a baseball game on Saturday.

And played a “round-robin” format mixed-doubles tennis with three other couples on Sunday.

How’s that for togetherness?

The two keys to arranging this weekend of fun were, again, thinking out of the box, and being able to negotiate on what we wanted to do.

The negotiation part resulted in the trade-off that I mentioned earlier.

You see, we don’t like the same kind of movies, and she really doesn’t like baseball, which I love.

So, I let her choose the movie and we agreed to go to the game the next day.

Now, it may sound like everything worked out just hunky-dory, but as you might imagine, there’s always a downside to these situations.

The downside for me was I had to sit through “Mama Mia.”

That was the movie she chose in exchange for going to the ballgame.

Normally, I would rather have a root canal through my ear than have to sit through "Mama Mia."

So, I had a strong feeling that this was not a movie I would enjoy, but as soon as that kid started singing in the opening scene, I was like, oh boy, what have I done now??

About midway through the movie, I was hoping I could fall asleep.

About three quarters of the way through, I was praying for sweet, blissful death.

From now on, I think whenever I hear a song by Abba, I’m going to curl up into the fetal position.

But anyway, I got through it.

But I found it interesting that on the other nights, my wife had to go through her series of warnings on my behavior before she would be seen with me in public.

Going out to dinner, she cautioned me against pulling one of my airhead pranks on the waiter.

Like when I first learned about my dietary restrictions as a dialysis patient.  It flipped me out a little bit.

We went to a restaurant shortly thereafter, and I realized how hard it was going to be to order something within the constraints of our diet.

So, I got a little pissed reading through the menu, and when the waiter came, I acted all proper, and said,

“Yes, please, I’d like an appetizer of nachos, with no chips, cheese, or salsa.”

“A side salad with no tomatoes, cheese, or dressing.  Oh, and light on the lettuce.”  I leaned over and said knowingly to my wife on the side, “lot of water content, you know.” <wink wink>

“And for the entrée, a pepperoni pizza, with no sauce, cheese, or pepperoni.”

The waiter was flummoxed, but went right on taking the order.

“Y-y-y-yes sir, anything else?”

I said, “oh yeah, for my drink I’d like water…with no fluid.”

My wife was trying to find a graceful way to crawl under the table.

So, there was to be no antics this past weekend.

For the baseball game, “no swearing, temper tantrums, stamping your feet, or threatening the life of the umpires or the opposing manager.”

For tennis, “no throwing your racket, cussing, or trying to tear down the net…AND STOP YELLING AT THE BALLS!!!”

So, given my set of instructions, we made a go of it and had a pretty good date weekend.

How do you all manage to have a social life while dealing with dialysis?

Love to hear any new ideas.

Thanks for reading.

I hope everyone has a good week of treatments.

Remember to stay active, and take care.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »

:clap; Good for you Bob - I loved your date weekend!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »

Im glad someone is still enjoying life to the full. Sorry no tips for you , i dont have a social life. :'(

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:39:24 PM »

Great blog as always Bob, I laughed all the way through and I must confess that Mama Mia (and Abba) leave me wishing for sudden death also.  Someone who loved it lent it to me and was shocked that I hated it but hate it I did.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »

I made it thru Mama Mia, but was really glad I wasn't the one who paid for the ticket!  I did find it amusing to see Pierce Brosnan singing, but it wore off after the first 5 minutes.  That final scene with the disco outfits is an image I could have lived my entire life quite happily without. . .

Social life?  Hey, I remember having one of those....during college, waaaaaay back in the early 90's.  Between work, craft shows, coaching T-ball, taking care of Grandma, and D - there's not time for anything social - at least not the date kind of social.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:45:41 PM »

Aren't the craft shows social?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »

The stage show of Mama Mia was much better than the movie.  Most broadway shows to movies are.  Bob, I enjoy your thoughts.   Your wife is a good sport --- she doesn't really like movies, but she went and she doesn't like baseball.  I hope she really likes tennis!!   Glad you had a good weekend.  See you next Saturday  :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:48:06 PM »

Aren't the craft shows social?

Social in terms of people to talk to, yes.  So is work and dialysis.  In terms of finding a date - not so much!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »

:rofl; What was your question again? I think you should have replaced Leno!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »

Bob, you have a way with words.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 12:03:02 AM »

I loved it~!  You are a good writer and funny!

BobN

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »

Thanks everyone.

Rest assured, things are back to normal this weekend.

Take care.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »