I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  High PRA
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High PRA  (Read 11178 times)
Jenabcd

« on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »

Hello!  I'm wondering if anyone has had, or knows, about the treatment for high PRA (over 90%) and the treatment, having a live donor.  What exactly is involved?  How do you feel during it? How often is it?  They only told me that they can do a treatment that involved an IV that takes approx 6 hours, + anti-rejection pills.  She said she'd let me know more next week, after the dr's meet up, but if I can find out anything ahead of time, that would be nice.  Any information would be so much appreciated!
rookiegirl

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:09:57 AM »

I received my kidney transplant 2 months ago with PRA @ 89%.  Five days after the transplant, they gave me IVIG as the treatment.  This is the only treatment so far since my transplant.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »

I imagine it would be the same or similar to that of what Jill went through on her positive crossmatch transplant.  Its the 1st subject listed in the area.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1319.0
Jenabcd

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »

Oh wow, thank you BigSky... that was such an informative link!!!   I will read it again, I know.  Thanks to you too Rookiegirl.  I was told that I can't be transplanted until my PRA number goes way down, so the treatments have to be first.  I'm surprised that you could be transplanted with that number, but very happy for you!   Thanks.  :)
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:05 PM »

Jena...also check out information on Paris (our wonderful Paris)  she is undergoing treatment right now.

I don't know how to link her post, but you should be able to find it with the search feature.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
rookiegirl

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »

Oh wow, thank you BigSky... that was such an informative link!!!   I will read it again, I know.  Thanks to you too Rookiegirl.  I was told that I can't be transplanted until my PRA number goes way down, so the treatments have to be first.  I'm surprised that you could be transplanted with that number, but very happy for you!   Thanks.  :)

I'm surprise too, but I'm grateful for my transplant so far.  I guess each hospital/surgeon are different.  I pray each day for contiues good health.

2004-2nd biopsy
Beth36

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:56:24 AM »

My mom had a positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo last June as well..she got infusions of a new drug called eculizamab (I don't know if I spelled it right, so pardon they misspell). She had numerous IVIg infusions as well as plamapheresis. Her journey was a little bumpy after the transplant (live donor was my youngest sister) but so far, she is doing great. We are truly grateful for the men and women of Mayo Clinic who treated my mom and sister before, during, and after the transplant. Good luck and I hope you get all the info and support you need here!!

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
Jenabcd

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 06:19:49 AM »

That is so encouraging... thank you Beth!  Do you know how she felt during the treatments?  Side effects?
vandie

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »

My PRA levels were in the 90's when I began IVIg and then plasmapharesis.  I had ten months of IVIg infusions.  It brought my PRA levels down to 8%, although they bounced up and down during those months.   I did plasmapharesis for two weeks.  Just as they were about to start testing a live donor, I got a perfectly matched kidney from a family in Texas who were gracious in their time of grief to donate their loved one's organs.  I am still considered high risk, so i will always have to take prednisone along with my anti rejection meds. 
I had head headaches and a low grade fever during infusion.  I know Paris has had a few more side effects, so looking up her story is a great idea. 

Much luck with your journey

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:59 AM »

Vandie,  were your infusions every day?     I am terrible at using the search engine at this site... I can't find Paris' story.
rookiegirl

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »

When I had my first IVIG infusion, the only effect I had was nausea.

2004-2nd biopsy
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

Vandie,  were your infusions every day?     I am terrible at using the search engine at this site... I can't find Paris' story.

Here you go Jenabcd

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=13518.0

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Jenabcd

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »

Thank you so much!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 03:00:13 PM »

Jenabcd,  As you can see, several of us have high  PRA's and are finding solutions to lower them.   I had IVIG last week and the main side effect was a fever for several days.  The infusion itself was no problem, just long.  Yesterday, I had an infusion of Rituxin (chemo drug used to kill b-cells that carry the "memory" of the antibodies).  Again, no problem with the infusion. No fever this time, but have been throwing up today.  Next week, another round of Rituxin and then a week after that, another IVIG infusion.  They in 2-4 weeks after the last one, they will know if my PRA has gone down (crossing fingers, praying, doing anything and everything!!)   My PRA is 100 and I am O+.  I have been working on getting these treatments for a long time.  JillD and Vandie are the ones that gave me great hope for the treatments.   Google both IVIG and Rituxin with kidney transplants and you will find lots of information.  Good luck!  We are here to help!   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jenabcd

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »

Hi Paris!  I have now read yours & Jills stories here.  Such inspirations.  I am also 0+.  I just found out -- through my son (my donor) !!! -- that my PRA number is over 90.  My coordinator is no longer my coordinator.  She never even let me know when I got accepted on the list.   Anyway, I am so happy to be able to read about your journey here.  How sweet that you can finally do this, and also how you told your son!  I loved it.  This is all such a long process, and takes so much patience.  It's hard sometimes. It seems some people have treatments daily, weekly or monthly?  I should find out next week, I hope.  I will continue to check in though, and keep up with you.  You will continue to inspire me, and know that it can be done.  I sure appreciate it, and knowing your side effects.  I always want to know as much as possible.  Thank you!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »

Hi Jen,  This site is the only reason I knew there were treatments for the PRA. I started researching over 2 years ago after several donors were denied.  First I worked with Johns Hopkins but the distance was a problem financially. Then with Charlotte Medical Center which is only 3 hours away. But then, my first transplant center, University of North Carolina started the treatments last year. I got to meet with the head of the program and he said I was a great candidate.  So, the journey began!  I have about 3  1/2 years on the transplant list.   If this doesn't lower the PRA, then the surgeon says we will do plasmapheresis and retest donors again.  So many things they don't tell you when you start all of this!   It is a very emotional rollercoaster, but it helps to have so much support here from people who know what you are going through.  Keep posting -- you are among friends who care.   :grouphug;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »

:bump;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »

Jenna's PRA is 98% - they checked it when they looked at her last labs. I was wondering though, how often is this number checked? I know it can change a bit - but is it something done annually or what?

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 12:03:58 AM »

How do you know what your PRA is?  Do they tell you once you are listed? I haven't a clue what my PRA is...how you you find out?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 05:17:12 PM »

:bump;

I'd really like to know...how do you know what your PRA is?  Is it important that you know, or is it enough that just the doctors know?  If you are approved to go on the waiting list, what information are you given about your PRA/other factors that would have a role in determining how long your wait might be?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »

Otto gets his checked every 8 weeks, it's something he has to do to stay active on the list and has stayed at 100%.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »

Otto gets his checked every 8 weeks, it's something he has to do to stay active on the list and has stayed at 100%.

And does he get some sort of report telling him what it is?  Does it change from time to time?  I know that pregnancies and blood transfusions cause your PSA to go higher, but other than that, what makes it change?  Can someone please explain to me how this works?

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »

I'd never heard of PRA before 2 days ago, I still don't really know what it is, and I've had 2 transplants.  If it's something that's tested on me, it's not something that I'm told about

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 01:10:20 AM »

Approximately 30 percent of patients who are awaiting a kidney transplant are considered "sensitized." Through a test called Panel Reactive Antibody (PRA), we learn an estimate of the amount of antibody against foreign tissue that the patient has. The PRA is expressed as a percentage and shows the likelihood of having an antibody against a particular donor. A patient is considered sensitized if the PRA is greater than 20 percent. Having antibodies against foreign tissue makes it harder to find a compatible living or deceased donor kidney. Sensitized patients may wait three to four times longer for a compatible deceased donor kidney compared to a non-sensitized patient.

More info here http://www.uwhealth.org/transplant/kidneydesensitizationprogramfrequentlyaskedquestions/10618

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 05:52:54 AM »

And does he get some sort of report telling him what it is?  Does it change from time to time?  I know that pregnancies and blood transfusions cause your PSA to go higher, but other than that, what makes it change?  Can someone please explain to me how this works?

Yes his transplant cordinator lets us know there have been no changes, Otto's has stayed at 100% since October of 2008.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »