I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:21:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Lost my job...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost my job...  (Read 14834 times)
Beth35

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »

I spoke to several lawyers both union and those directed to me through the union.  Unfortunately we are not protected as we should be.  Kinda sucks that not only do we have to live through a bad illness, but that we also have the added stress of losing our jobs and not being able to be rehired again.

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 06:04:56 PM »

:grouphug;

This is so rotten.  :thumbdown;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Phraxis

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »

I am going to offer an option that will not offer much immediate satisfaction but I think may help.

Arrange a meeting with your Principal and the HR people, and communicate to them that you expect to be offered a position, and a sincere in assisting them with their efforts to help you. Try to arrange the meeting when you are feeling good. Prepare for the meeting, update your resume, produce a list of your strengths (make a nhonest list of weaknesses , done give it to them but make sure you have answers) and plans. Pretty much assure them that you understand their concerns and are happy to accomadate their needs.

I am suggesting that you make it "their" problem not yours. it is my experience that most employers will take the easier path, especially if they are a large enough organisation. Also, makes it easier to stomach their crap while struggling to keep positive. a little imagination and some accomadation, and a solution can be found. However a certain patient persistence is your best course.

Good luck! And safe journey.
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »

I hear you bigtime. I was retrenched back in late jan, at that stage id nearly been on HD for 3 months and still didnt have my PD set up and working. They also got rid of 20 others at the same time, but i think because i was off sick it was easy for them to get rid of me. at the time i was relieved as i was stressing about going back to work and fitting in dialysis.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

teachers get screwed all the time
In my area (MA), teachers who have "professional status" (>3 years on the job) cannot be evaluated (well, they can - but you can't fire them without overwhelming proof of gross incompetence); a defined benefit pension that is paid even if the market tanks; and life time medical at nominal rates.  Plus, in many towns with a "lexington clause" can take a 1 year $5000 salary increase in one of their last 3 years on the job to boost the pay rate used to calculate their pension.

Or, as Cameron Diaz said in "Bad Teacher" .... "I took this job for all the right reasons - lack of accountability, short hours, summer vacations".

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error-kitkatz, Moderator
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:28:57 PM by kitkatz » Logged
JohnJ

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

And, I know a transplant will happen eventually.. but how long will that take? And who says it’ll even work?

You should be able to get an approximate waiting time from your doctor. In my state the wait is 6 years.
ASK..or you'll never know. If you doctor says he doesn't know THEN HE'S LYING. Call your local transplant center and make an appointment with them. And when you do get to see them tell them your doctor doesn't know how long the waiting list is. This is NOT confidential information.
THEN..contact your local district coordinator and ask for a meeting and tell them your doctor said he doesn't know what the waiting time is. DON'T let him play god with you or anyone else.

And in the end. The love you take.
Is equal to the love ... you make.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »