I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  When to tell my Manager
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When to tell my Manager  (Read 12343 times)
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »

Thanks Manda I feel alot better now that I told them..

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »

I'm glad it went so well for you, too! I think we both must be lucky to work in understanding environments.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »

My vice-principal whom I have worked with for a few years says "Keep doing what you are doing." Nocturnal made a huge difference for me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »

My manager is great!  :yahoo; I had to tell him I'll learn next week if it's time to start the transplant evaluation process. He said he won't put me on any high-impact projects so I won't need to worry about dropping everything when I get the call, but that he'll make sure he keeps giving me projects that I find interesting. That sounds perfect! I'll still have good things to work on, but it'll all be lower stress for me.

I also talked to my team lead last week and he was very understanding, too. We agreed that I'll come up with a daily status sheet that I'll keep posted someplace so he (or someone else) will be able to pick up where I leave off and I'll make sure I check in all files every day. Normally, we leave files checked out until we're done with them (several days at a time). My manager mentioned today that the two of them talked & I should just let them know of any limitations & not to worry on their account.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Goofy

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »

I'm sure you feel much more at ease.  I'm really surprised that most of the people felt you should say something sooner than later.  Of course its best to be honest but if no one was really questioning me about my work, I would have let it go.

The only reason I told my managers about my kidney issues was when I started to take a lot of time off for doc appointmets and tests to get on the transplant list.  I was not and still not on dialysis. I asked that they not tell anyone.  My biggest concern was that I thought they would think I was a liability to the company and would not want me around.  When they would ask me how things were going, I would tell them everything was fine even if it wasn't.

That was two years ago. They are still very understanding and supportive.  Then about a year ago I got called for a transplant and that's when the rest of my department found out.  They were also very supportive and still are to this day.  Long story, but the kidney got rejected and it had to be removed.

It's a tough call as what to do.  I know my doctor has always told me to tell everyone I know and maybe someone would offer to get tested.  Of course I didn't believe that would happen so I didn't tell very many people in or outside of work.

BUT....my doctor was right.  After I had the failed transplant, and people knew about me, a man that I work with went home and told his wife about me and she offered to see if she was compatible!  I had never even met her before.  In the end, it was not a good match but if I never told anyone, I would never have received her offer.

So everyones situation is different and I guess you have to go with your gut instinct.  For your sake, I'm Glad you told them.  It sounds like you made the right decision!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »