I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 12:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hey friends how's your dialysis going lately?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey friends how's your dialysis going lately?  (Read 5708 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: May 25, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »

Just wanted to check in on everyone and see how your doing. Things are good with me just doing a lot of studying (as usual..lol). My dialysis issue was resolved which has taken a lot of stress off as well.( Thanks to a lot of your advice by the way) So how are YOU?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »

Glad to hear you're doing better, Neo.  I'm doing great!  Thanks!   :waving;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »

Glad yours has been resolved , now its my turn !! I have been feeling like c*** since i swapped from CAPD to the Cycler. Im either fluid overloaded or dehydrated beyond a joke.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »

Dialysis for me lately has been boring - just the way I like it!  No crashing, no cramping, no puking, no scary lab results. I feel pretty good most of the time.  I came home and took a nap today, but then I've been busy, busy, busy, so it's not a surprise that I'm tired. I do wish I had more energy - but given that my hemoglobin is 12.8 right now, and I just finished a dose of iron, I realize that there's a limit to what they can do to compensate for my lack of kidney function.  I have to remember that I am on life support, and I'm still not healthy, no matter how good my treatment is going!

Glad you got some of the problems solved with your dingbat nurse, Neo!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »

Hi Neo, It is always good to see your handsome, smiling face.  Glad you got the issues resolved!  Keep studying. We need more people like you in the medical flield  :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

Hey, Neo,
Dialysis is going well for us ... except a BIG thunderstorm has swept in and I'm hoping I don't have to fire up the generator to get through tonight's treatment!  :o

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »

I'm just like jbeany. My dialysis has just been boring. Same old routine: Start setting up my machine around 8:00 pm, I'm usually on by 9:00, and I'm usually done and have my needles out just before midnight. Then I go right to bed. Same thing, day after day after day. I'm glad things are going better for you, Neo.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »

Neo, you are just so darn cute!
glad to see a smile on your face....
I have a sore rear end for the last three hours of dialysis and I am beginning to itch and it feels like red ants -- the unit is trying to talk me out of benadryl because I drive home ----
any suggestions for a sore read end ????
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »

I have a sore rear end for the last three hours of dialysis and I am beginning to itch and it feels like red ants -- the unit is trying to talk me out of benadryl because I drive home ----

Massage is the only suggestion for a sore rear end.   Works best if you like the person administering the massage.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »

I am so glad that things are going better for you and that you got your issues resolved.  Things with me are going great.  My fistula is getting a pump speed of 500, and they cut my time by 15 min.   :yahoo;

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
esherman77

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »

My dialysis is also boring. However my boring may be different than yours. I get put on about 6am and then the fun starts. We seem to have a game we play: depending on how HIGH, thats right I said HIGH will depend on how my dialysis goes. The higher the better. I go for 4 hours so about halfway through by blood pressure ususally drops into the 80's. :cheer:. We have been going through this since I started dialysis.

However, ever since I got the HeRO device (anyone here have one?) I get some cool  8) readings. For example: 25/11, 249/143 etc. I bounce all around the globe. I know part of the problem is that I have them taking my blood pressure in my leg. But still, even when I wasn't, I was still getting goofy readings. ::)

Sometimes I just don't get it. But we have a great time guessing what my blood pressure is going to be today.

EDITED:Dropped color and size tags-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:23:13 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Elaine

REMEMBER: YOUR ARE YOUR BEST ADVOCATE. IF YOU DON'T DO IT, NO ONE WILL!!!
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

Hi Neo glad your your problems have been sorted. Haemo is going pretty well for me. I do 3 hours 3 times a week, should be four but I'm a member of the awkward squad and 4 hours would drive me stir crazy. In spite of that the Doctors say my bloods are good. I feel well so I'll stay on three for the moment.

Ken
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:36:46 AM »

Glad things are going well NEO... I have only been to Dialysis twice and I feel good besides the headaches and tingling feeling I get but I feel pretty good. I hope that things keep going well for you.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »

Glad to hear it!
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »

Glad you are doing well and studying.  I think this is my "off" week. Fri I got shorted an hour due to tech problems so Mon I went in overloaded and seriously feeling it.  Hadn't slept for 3 days so finally fell asleep in the chair and my tech starts yelling...are you ok, ANN, ARE YOU OK....you never sleep...so much for the first time, LOL.  Then Dr comes and says my clearance is so good and other numbers as well so he is reducing my time to 3.5 hours instead of 4, I told him "My butt thanks you" and off he went. My BP took a serious nose dive, cramps, and migraine, I crawled to my car, drove home behind a city bus so I could stop a lot and breathe, crawled in the house, grabbed the phone, crawled under the covers and called my kids to check in..I asked them not to breathe so loud on the phone as I could feel my hair growing..Saul called and I asked him to only call if he could do it without the phone ringing...migraine was gone this morning but dizzy was alive and well...good thing I have furniture to hang onto..I'm now drinking some hot tea and I think I'm finally balancing out....sorry to write a book but you asked.  Have a great day.  It's all good.   :bandance;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 12:36:22 PM »

Dialysis and its associated pain have really dwindled since I started using my new fistula.  They tried to use it at Week 5 and it blew up into a "fistulatoma."  We're progressing to bigger needles eventually, but right now I'm using two 17 gauges.  Next week we move to 16 and finally 15 the week after.  Then I'm allowed to say goodbye to my chest catheter.

If I stop having pain and difficulty at Dialsysis, does that mean I'll stop being a sarcastic curmudgeon?

Probably not.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »

We can only hope....

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 02:24:49 PM »

If I stop having pain and difficulty at Dialsysis, does that mean I'll stop being a sarcastic curmudgeon?

Probably not.

Hasn't worked for me yet!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Neo

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:34 PM »

Glad yours has been resolved , now its my turn !! I have been feeling like c*** since i swapped from CAPD to the Cycler. Im either fluid overloaded or dehydrated beyond a joke.

It is your turn.. I complained enough..lol Im sorry to hear that, fluid is the hardest thing for me to manage out of all the things we have to manage. Im not as familiar with peritoneal dialysis, but I hope you start feeling better soon..
Neo

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:57 PM »

I'm just like jbeany. My dialysis has just been boring. Same old routine: Start setting up my machine around 8:00 pm, I'm usually on by 9:00, and I'm usually done and have my needles out just before midnight. Then I go right to bed. Same thing, day after day after day. I'm glad things are going better for you, Neo.

Adam
Thanks, you do dialysis at around the same times as me. you do yours at home right? Im thinking of doing that sometime.
Neo

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »

Yea I get that too..lol I drive home after my treatments as well and they have a rule as do I that the latest I can take the benadryl is 1 hour before I get the needles out. It filters out of your system relatively quick because of the dilaysis machine filters it. If you find the cure for a sore rear end after dialysis you will be a millionaire becasue every patient in the world woudl pay good money for that..
Neo

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:53 PM »

I am so glad that things are going better for you and that you got your issues resolved.  Things with me are going great.  My fistula is getting a pump speed of 500, and they cut my time by 15 min.   :yahoo;
Wow! 500? I didnt even know you get it that fast. You must get a real good clearance congrats!
Neo

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »

My dialysis is also boring. However my boring may be different than yours. I get put on about 6am and then the fun starts. We seem to have a game we play: depending on how HIGH, thats right I said HIGH will depend on how my dialysis goes. The higher the better. I go for 4 hours so about halfway through by blood pressure ususally drops into the 80's. :cheer:. We have been going through this since I started dialysis.

However, ever since I got the HeRO device (anyone here have one?) I get some cool  8) readings. For example: 25/11, 249/143 etc. I bounce all around the globe. I know part of the problem is that I have them taking my blood pressure in my leg. But still, even when I wasn't, I was still getting goofy readings. ::)

Sometimes I just don't get it. But we have a great time guessing what my blood pressure is going to be today.

Do you take BP pills? If you are ask your doc if you should take less on dilaysis days Mine drops as well at the end of my treatment to the 95/50 range but not til the end of my treatment and it basically lets me know i hit my dry weight. good luck

EDITED- Fixed quote tag error- kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:24:22 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Neo

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »

Hi Neo glad your your problems have been sorted. Haemo is going pretty well for me. I do 3 hours 3 times a week, should be four but I'm a member of the awkward squad and 4 hours would drive me stir crazy. In spite of that the Doctors say my bloods are good. I feel well so I'll stay on three for the moment.
I hear you! thats why I get the benadryl. Without it the pain and restlessness drives me crazy.. Glad to hear your getting good clearances with 3 hours.
Neo

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »

Glad things are going well NEO... I have only been to Dialysis twice and I feel good besides the headaches and tingling feeling I get but I feel pretty good. I hope that things keep going well for you.
You just started? If you have any questions about dialysis let me know, and I know since you found this site you can see how great everyone is here about answering questions. Everyone here is so incredibly knowledgeable. Keep in Touch
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »