I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:32:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Muslims that are on dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Muslims that are on dialysis.  (Read 3358 times)
keith

« on: September 21, 2006, 05:45:54 PM »

I have a question can we as Muslims fast during the month of RAMADAN while were on dialysis ( the days that we get or treatment)or are we suppose to not fast on these days?

EDITED: Edited subject title. No reason to type in all CAPITALS - Epoman, Admin/Owner
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:14:05 PM by Epoman » Logged

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »

I would say you labs would be great.   ;)

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:56:13 PM »

When I was on dialysis, one of the Muslim patients asked a Muslim nephrologist at the center whether he could fast.  The nephrologist correctly replied that the Koran exempts Muslims who are ill from the full strictures of the Islamic way of life, so he felt it would not be necessary to maintain the fasting regulations during Ramadan.  I would fast myself just because I often did not feel like eating, but whenever I did, my potassium level rose to excessive values.  This is because the body during fasting catabolizes its own tissue to make up for the loss of food for metabolism, and catabolism tends to release potassium.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:35:17 AM »

When I was on dialysis, one of the Muslim patients asked a Muslim nephrologist at the center whether he could fast.  The nephrologist correctly replied that the Koran exempts Muslims who are ill from the full strictures of the Islamic way of life, so he felt it would not be necessary to maintain the fasting regulations during Ramadan.  I would fast myself just because I often did not feel like eating, but whenever I did, my potassium level rose to excessive values.  This is because the body during fasting catabolizes its own tissue to make up for the loss of food for metabolism, and catabolism tends to release potassium.
VERY good post! I was just going to say, similar with Christians, I was told that if you are sick where your diet is compromised that you were exempt because God understands.  :thumbup; Good luck and peace!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »