I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 12:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Illegal Aliens Dialysis Transplant Poll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Illegal Aliens Dialysis Transplant Poll  (Read 17762 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2006, 12:29:30 PM »

Angie,
10 years? Holy CRAP!! I will never move to the States then

Don't count on this, I am not sure how this goes. Medicare web site tells:
Medicare Premiums for 2006:

Part A: (Hospital Insurance) Premium
Most people do not pay a monthly Part A premium because they or a spouse has 40 or more quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
The Part A premium is $216.00 for people having 30-39 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
The Part A premium is $393.00 per month for people who are not otherwise eligible for premium-free hospital insurance and have less than 30 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.

Part B: (Medical Insurance) Premium

$88.50 per month.

wow I woudl have to pay $481.50/mth :(  :o

oh wait..

It also says
If you (or your spouse) did not pay Medicare taxes while you worked, and you are age 65 or older and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you may be able to buy Part A. If you are under age 65, you can get Part A without having to pay premiums if:
You have been entitled to Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefits for 24 months. (Note: If you have Lou Gehrig's disease, your Medicare benefits begin the first month you get disability benefits.)
You are a kidney dialysis or kidney transplant patient.

So I understand this so that as ESRD patient I would get Medicare part A without premium. For part B there is always premium if I have understood it correctly.

Oh wow! Thanks for this info!! That helps a LOT!!  :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:31:24 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 10:37:27 PM »

Now if you get me started I am not going to shut up on this issue... illegal immigration.  Stop me, pppulleeease!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2006, 10:49:26 PM »

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty......... :popcorn;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2006, 06:55:37 AM »

When I talk of illegals I'm talking about the fence hoppers. If you are from another country and seek out medical help in the US that is fine.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 08:15:50 PM »

If our borders were actually protected as they should be, we wouldn't be discussing this problem.

Anyone who breaks the law to get here should get NOTHING!  Emergency/critical care should be rendered as an humanitarian gesture and the patient immediately deported -- we can't even serve our own citizens and legal immigrants and certainly have no obligation to serve citizens from other countries who are here illegally.

I have repeatedly written to my reps in DC demanding that action be taken.    I have repeatedly directed their attention to the financial problems in our medical care system.  All of our infrastructure, including our public schools and jails, are being forced to support people who broke our laws to get here.  I've even said that I don't care if lettuce is $10 a head and apples $5 each (when vegetable and fruit pickers are paid $10 to $20 per hour there would be US citizens willing to do the jobs). The replies I've received from these people, who are supposed to be representing me, have been infuriating.

Until our borders are guarded and/or fenced and/or mined, we will continue to pay taxes to support criminals and families who should not be here.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »

So far the poll is 4 no and 16 yes.

Where are the 4 who said "no" and what is there reasoning.........?   ???

sandman

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 02:32:14 AM »

So far the poll is 4 no and 16 yes.

Where are the 4 who said "no" and what is there reasoning.........?   ???

Correction, 4 yes and 16 no

I misread the poll when I took it and thought it said "legal" aliens.  :-[  My bad.  I ment to answer no.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 12:44:49 PM »

Since I am not American I misunderstood what illegal aliens are. I mean, i figured there had to be more to the story since so many Mexicans are trying so hard to cross into the US. Even at the risk of getting shot. I figured there had to be more to the story that I wasn't getting. Plus I thought it included people like me who are considering being a resident of the States but would not be able to wait for extended length of time to get coverage. Plus with hearing about one dialysis nurse in California, and how some people tried to become a resident but is taking years and their son (or some family member) needed care before they got citizenship ... there are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration .. so I marked the minority. But if we are JUST talking about those who on purpose come into the USA and not even try to get citizenship then .. I would have to go with the majority.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty......... :popcorn;

LMAO, YEAH come on Kitkatz get in here.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
waitlisted

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 07:50:50 PM »

Could someone actually explain, how does the health care system work in US. Originally I was always told that you cannot get get any treatment without insurance, except if you are dying they would keep you alive. As I am coming from a country where people are paying HUGE taxes and social security&health insurance is "included" so anyone can get basically any needed operation in public hospitals. There is a queue and you might need to wait but eventually you get there... There are also private hospitals if you don't want to wait and can afford it.

When I have been telling this to doctors in US they are surprised and tell how many people in US are left untreated, because they don't have insurance. On the other hand discussion here tells that any illegal immigrant can get treatment, so I am confused. How does the system work?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »

Could someone actually explain, how does the health care system work in US. Originally I was always told that you cannot get get any treatment without insurance, except if you are dying they would keep you alive. As I am coming from a country where people are paying HUGE taxes and social security&health insurance is "included" so anyone can get basically any needed operation in public hospitals. There is a queue and you might need to wait but eventually you get there... There are also private hospitals if you don't want to wait and can afford it.

When I have been telling this to doctors in US they are surprised and tell how many people in US are left untreated, because they don't have insurance. On the other hand discussion here tells that any illegal immigrant can get treatment, so I am confused. How does the system work?
I would like to know that as well because it seems to me .. no wonder Americans are upset at Illegal Mexicans!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 01:01:54 AM »

I too am interested in finding out how these illegal aliens are slipping through the cracks of our medical institutions " can't pay?  no way! " mentality and are able to receive the healthcare US citizens are often denied.  :popcorn;
jdat

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2006, 10:37:57 AM »

I am an American citizen ( but only lived in the US for about 3 years and a half ) and I had a medical insurance issues which basically prevented me from getting any adequate care in the United States.
Had to leave the country because if I had stayed that I would be dead by now.
Yeah great.... and now I'll never be able to live there ever again  :banghead;.....

I am the most open person in regards to other races/nationalities but I draw the line at the abuse or priority illegal aliens may be given over "me" for medical care when I myself was a legitimate citizen.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2006, 06:40:20 PM »

I am an American citizen (but only lived in the US for about 3 years and a half ) and I had a medical insurance issues which basically prevented me from getting any adequate care in the United States.
Had to leave the country because if I had stayed that I would be dead by now.
Yeah great.... and now I'll never be able to live there ever again  :banghead;.....

I am the most open person in regards to other races/nationalities but I draw the line at the abuse or priority illegal aliens may be given over "me" for medical care when I myself was a legitimate citizen.

I understand, and I am so sorry that happened to you.   :(  The US medical care system seems to penalize those like you, and make it easy for the rich and the poor.

And, yes, that is one reason why so many people are upset over illegals.  In the US anyone who comes to a public hospital for care must be treated regardless of ability to pay or immigration status -- and no one is allowed to ask their immigration status.  By contacting the social worker on the hopital staff, illegals can file for financial assistance and if they show no assets, and little or no income, they become entitled to many government benefits, paid for by taxes collected from the US citizens.

If you check the waiting room of most US government funded health departments you'll find most of those waiting for free medical care are obviously the poorest of the poor, and chances are a high percentage of them are illegals.  They are making it harder for OUR poor citizens to get medical care they desperately need and using up a large percentage of our health care dollars intended for OUR poor.  >:D >:D

Please don't misunderstand, I have no problem with anyone, especially children, getting emergency care for a critical problems but we should not be paying for routine care for the criminals who have violated our immigration laws.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2006, 01:27:22 PM »

Please don't misunderstand, I have no problem with anyone, especially children, getting emergency care for a critical problems but we should not be paying for routine care for the criminals who have violated our immigration laws.
OKay, now I understand and I can see why! The system really needs to be changed to make it more fair for the tax paying citizens!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Wizard

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »

I think the illegal immigrants should be stabilized then bumped back to the country from which they came.  Every dialysis clinic I have been to has three or more people that cannot speak a bit of english and I will certainly have a duck if they are on the transplant list.  But with the war in Iraq going on I cannot help but get offended that now we are dialyzing a muslim who wears what appears to be a nightgown and sandals to dialysis clinic, one would think that he would appear to be more americanized if he wants FREE routine medical care! :(
vandie

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2006, 08:08:02 AM »

If you are an illegal, you should be taken care of on an emergent basis only and deported.  We, as tax payers. should not be footing the bill for people that do not pay taxes. 
It goes beyond medical issues.  It is criminal as well.  Illegal immigrant offenders are deported only after they are represented by a Public Defender (on our dime), sometimes given an expensive jury trial (on our dime),  and do their time (on our dime.)  They then return to the country illegally where they either violate probation or commit another crime.
That big concrete wall is looking better and better.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »

I think the illegal immigrants should be stabilized then bumped back to the country from which they came.  Every dialysis clinic I have been to has three or more people that cannot speak a bit of english and I will certainly have a duck if they are on the transplant list.  But with the war in Iraq going on I cannot help but get offended that now we are dialyzing a muslim who wears what appears to be a nightgown and sandals to dialysis clinic, one would think that he would appear to be more americanized if he wants FREE routine medical care! :(

Does it really matter what he wears?  I for one, enjoy and respect seeing people wearing their native culture's traditional clothing.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2006, 07:31:10 PM »

If it is a Muslim woman being dialyzed, where do the needles go when you have to get into that potato sack that they all like to wear?
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »

If it is a Muslim woman being dialyzed, where do the needles go when you have to get into that potato sack that they all like to wear?

::)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 07:50:10 AM »

If you are an illegal, you should be taken care of on an emergent basis only and deported.  We, as tax payers. should not be footing the bill for people that do not pay taxes. 
It goes beyond medical issues.  It is criminal as well.  Illegal immigrant offenders are deported only after they are represented by a Public Defender (on our dime), sometimes given an expensive jury trial (on our dime),  and do their time (on our dime.)  They then return to the country illegally where they either violate probation or commit another crime.
That big concrete wall is looking better and better.

That is the problem.  They should be deported ASAP.  No need for any public defender. 

A bigger problem is some of the cities and states that are safe havens to illegals.  This crap about where police officers or other officials cannot ask immigration status is bull and so is the policy of them not arresting illegals on immigration charges. 

A few weeks ago several construction sites in two different cities reported thefts of thousands of dollars in supplies and tools.  Well they caught the 4 guys here and they were all illegals from Mexico.l :banghead;

It is funny up here because it is not hard to spot the illegals and yet they keep coming here and getting caught.
Wizard

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:12 AM »

Trust me I can count about two dozen on any given morning at a gas station standing around waiting for day work.  And the local INS or police do nothing about it.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2006, 08:49:48 AM »

SEND THEM BACK!!! Spend as much money sending them back as they spent getting here. $ 0000000.00

As for the Muslim wearing sandals.. who cares as long as he is here legally. He probably doesn't like your wardrobe either.

I'm all for getting rid of illegals but those who came to the land of the free legally, have a right to practice there own religion and dress the way they want.
vandie

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2006, 09:57:11 AM »

SEND THEM BACK!!! Spend as much money sending them back as they spent getting here. $ 0000000.00

As for the Muslim wearing sandals.. who cares as long as he is here legally. He probably doesn't like your wardrobe either.

I'm all for getting rid of illegals but those who came to the land of the free legally, have a right to practice there own religion and dress the way they want.
Amen, brother!!   :clap;
Well put.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »

Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine!! :2thumbsup;
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »