I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:10:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Returning to work in the fall!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Returning to work in the fall!  (Read 5214 times)
Savemeimdtba

« on: May 18, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »

I had just started my job as a special education teachers assistant when my kidneys decided to fail (4 months into my first school year) and I've been out dealing with it ever since.  I'm now getting better every day and am planning to go back in August for the new school year.  I'm really scared that I'm not going to be able to do it.. or I'll catch something from one of the kids that will make things worse for me - so what do you do in these situations?  You try anyways, right?  I know I'm going to try.. but if it's too much - is it okay to let it go?  I tried so hard to get this job and it's exactly where I want to be but I'm just afraid to go back into the world.  I assume that's normal?

Any other elementary teachers out there - what do you do about all the constant colds / stomach viruses going around? 

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

Hi, Saveme,
My husband began dialysis last June, just after school was out. He teaches early childhood and I teach elementary. We have kept it up all year without a hitch.

I think the real key to staying healthy while working around children is to wash your hands frequently. It doesn't hurt to have the children wash their hands frequently either.

Best wishes with your plans.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »

:thumbup;

Give it a shot and hopefully all will be fine and dandy.
If for some reason you decide you cant do what you so badly want to at least you will know that you gave it your best shot.

I do hope that you will fall right into place and that you will pick up where you left off.........

Best of luck
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »

You have got to try.  Wash your hands and keep your hands away from your face.  Get some bottles of Germ Gell and put it in every corner of the classroom. 

Get some Zicam Swabs and at the first hint of a cold use it.

Savemeimdtba

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:48:26 PM »

Can't really have germ-x laying around, my kids will try to eat it :P But, we do wash our hands A TON but I still ended up getting sick constantly last year.  Special Ed kids are a lot more hands on (hands in mouths, spitting, etc.) so it's more of a challenge.. I have hand sanitizer in my purse and in the bathrooms and I wash as often as I can.  Haven't tried Zicam but I will ask my Dr. about what I could take to prevent / stay ahead of all the sickness.  Thanks for the ideas!

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:11:55 PM »

Last year was your FIRST year with these kids. Every new adult is sick the first year. Whenever we hire someone who has never worked with kids before, we fully expect them to be out sick alot the first year.

This year should be much better. Still, keep up the hand-washing. Preschool kids are much like older handicapped children. They drool, hands in mouth, etc. My husband has been working with them for a long time and he just doesn't get sick any more.

I got a really cool spary hand sanitizer that looks like a pen (I think I got it at Walgreens). You may be able to clip that to your neckline and use it frequently. Mine is refillable and I keep it clipped to an outside pocket of my purse so I can use it when I'm traveling.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »

Willow is right. Your body has to adjust to being around the germs the first year.  Year by year your immunity will get better. I teach special education kids at middle school. Some years germs are just more virulent than other years.  Wash your hands and keep the antibacterial gel in your purse and use it before you eat or after you touch a sick kid. My aide and I use antibacterial wipes regularly on our tables, phone and door handles to help with the germ count.

I have been on dialysis ten and a half years and I have been teaching all of those years at middle school level.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:13:39 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »

wash your hands alot
keep your hands away from your mouth and eyes and nose
ask students not to hug you when they are sick or feeling bad
I taught high school and junior high and those kids were the huggest kids in the world
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »

Well, now they have told her she doesn't have a job, so this post is no good.  Read this one...

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=14108.0

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »