I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I am working on moving forward and stop being depressed. Come join me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am working on moving forward and stop being depressed. Come join me.  (Read 12944 times)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »

A few years back, I started to embroider a tablecloth, by hand. Took me 5 years to finish it, but boy, it's really pretty. And I was so proud of myself. every one that came into the house had to see it. It's a good idea, keeps you busy and thinking of something else besides your dumb kidneys. But, currently I am busy knitting slippers, in the 100 degree heat, Hahaha

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »

Slippers are great...I'm trying to finish 2 afghans and it's just too warm.  The man called from the sewing shop and he can fix my machine and it won't cost a bundle..he is a doll..he totally tuned up my sewing machine last fall for 85 dollars, and the other shops quoted a starting fee of 150.  Last night my computer would not turn on.  I tried everything, I was on the floor feeling for all the cords and nothing so my youngest said to bring it to him tomorrow, ok...well tonight I redid everything and yup, it works...I have no clue.  Oldest son called and said all my car parts are in and the shop will be starting on my car tomorrow..yipeee....He has a wonderful pickup but I am scared to death of getting it dinged.  I am trying to get caught up on all my dvr'd CSI shows so I can watch the final this week and D was good today.  I'm chauferring my youngest G Dtr tomorrow to and from the Nursing Home...she helps with feeding and bingo..not bad for a 14 year old.  They love her.  Hope you all have a great week.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »

What a wonderful post, G-Ma!

Made me smile! :2thumbsup;

Thanks.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 02:09:25 AM »

Thanks.  Another night of my 2 hour sleep session but all will be good.

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
GOD IS GOOD
BigSteve

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »

Wonderfull messages G-Ma! They really help my sometime bad disposition. You are so right to talk
about taking pleasure in the little activities. This thread was so good I didn't realize my exchange fill
bag was empty.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »

We held the annual Sixth Grade Olympics today outside in the Califonria heat- Read 90 degrees.  It looked like fun was had by all. The Gators Team won as usual! Hurray for them.  I was part of the water bucket brigade.  I supervised and directed kids to fill buckets of water and get them to one of the events. I had a kid ask me why I did not lug the water pails. I told him I was educated and did not have to do drudge work. If he had his degree he would not have to do it either today.  Meanwhile MUSH! Hehehehe. (Please do not take offense at this comment.) It was fun. I have pics to download. I will post a few here later.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »

IHD Rocks....Thanks BigSteve for what you said.  I think we all have ""bad dispositions sometimes"" but they too pass.  Without this group I can honestly say I would not have gotten this far.  Today was another very good day.  Chilly and windy out.  Sew Machine man called and said it's done so took G Dtr to her Volunteer Job, got groceries as my cupboards were bare but silly me have been scared of dinging son's pickup, got machine, came home, put stuff away, made a cup of mmmm English Toffee Coffee..I know but oh well and just had a great time and I might be brave enough to try the machine tonight...or Thursday as tomorrow is D day.
Jean...you will laugh but now I do know how many more squares I need for the last afghan..10 inch squares..I need 4 green and 5 blue...check with me in a year on this...this is actually the 3rd afghan in 2 years..made one for my 18 yr old grdtr last year for graduation so I do feel I accomplished something.     :rofl;

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »

Keep it up G-Ma.  Attitude may not be everything but it's the biggest part of the thing and it's one thing we can actually do something about changing."  :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »

And I got a lot of positive from you Monrein all this time.  Thanks.     :bow;

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 04:34:39 PM »

I got such a big kick out of reading your discussions on sewing and fabric, etc.  I wish you could have known my Mom and she you people.  When she died we had to have a truck come in and haul all the fabric, machines, buttons, etc. etc. to a chairty shop.  It used up two large rooms in the house.  It was so funny.  Of course she worked in a fabric store but never made any money.  After each pay day when they deducted the cost of what she'd bought that week, she always had to pay them.  My Dad always said he couldn't afford to have her working.  I'm totally  :rofl; thinking about it now years later.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »

Your Mom and I would have been best friends!!   I was lucky the one -- I got Mom's old Featherlight Singer machine. We all wanted it after Mom died, but I won!! My brother and sisters were only slightly bruised!!   :rofl;    All of our clothes were made on it and I can still see Mom sitting there sewing late into the night.  I have several machines, but that old one can sew like magic.  My Grandma taught me first on her treadle machine.   My favorite things to sew are the fancy things -- wedding dresses, etc.  I have made every important dress in my girls lives -- baptism, confirmation, proms, wedding.   I love fabric and patterns -- my addiction!  I don't smoke or do drugs -- I go to IHD or feel my fabric   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »

Haha.  That is so funny.  I used to sing in private clubs in Houston (back in the days when you couldn't buy liquor in restaurants so the fancy ones had a private room).  Mom made me wild and  crazy dinner jackets.  Some were hilarious.  Oh my, I wish you'd been around to take lots of that stuff.  We gave away to relatives and friends but then they hauled the rest away.  Yea, the two of you would have been good friends I'm sure.

Giving away her clothes was fun too as she always made a dress every time she went out.  Never wore the same thing.  Of course many weren't finished inside since they only had to last one night.  After all these years I still smile when I think about some of her antics.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »

Oh wow...I'm thinking about mom again....she had customers fly in from CA to ND twice a year with cases of fabric and patterns and she sewed and shipped.  Dad built a room over the garage because she had supplies all over the house and she baked wedding cakes and worked at the hospital.  When we moved to AZ from ND my husb bought an old bread truck and it was floor to ceiling all my craft things and fabrics that we moved and gave away a garage full of things and the move from AZ to NC was a rental truck with no furniture, just sewing machines, fabric and crafts for me.  I have been downsizing in the last year..tears everytime.

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:25 PM »

G-Ma, you only have 9 squares left?  Go girl, and do it. !!!! I am assuming grannysquares? I never could manage them. I also have many projects I have never finished, but nothing like yours!!!! How is the machine working out???

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »

a great thread  :flower;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 01:44:22 AM »

a great thread  :flower;

Boom boom!

I love positive threads.  I actually actively stay away from negative ones like the "I hate..." types.   I think it's bad for you to focus on the negative, and good for you to focus on the positive.  This thread is a joy to read.  I've had a lovely day which included a massage so I'm happy happy happy

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »

Oh my God, a massage....oh greatness.....Saul has promised me a massage if he ever gets his butt here..but he has tree jobs so guess that is good.
D was good today...beautiful outside...
Funny Pelagia..just as I was trying to remember Jean asking how the machine works I read what you said....a great thread...said I did buy some thread to use with the machine but the unveiling I think will be tomorrow.....ta ta da.....If I can figure it out, some IHDers may get little somethings.
Jean....ha ha....ONLY 9 squares...ONLY??? she runs through the house screaming....yes, granny sq and about 10 inches sq...could be 3 ft....grrrr....ok...perhaps later I will work on one.  I started those things when I had a chest catheter..it made the time go really fast but unable to do anything now at D, just TV.  I actually have the box with all the yarn and squares in the living room so I remember....that might be it...I should hide it huh????
I got a wonderful letter from my gdtr in basic training....learned how to throw grenades last week.  Her dad thinks it was ok since she can still write.....oh Lord....she's home the first weekend in June for one day, then on to Virginia Beach for IT, then college in Aug..where does the time go????

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 03:57:27 PM »

I got crazy the last two days and moved the books around. My sister had given me new shelves (new tome). I set up my Science Fiction library and have shelves for my books. My office has been cleaned out and it looks nicer in here than it has in ages.  I put the DVDs where I can get to them. Now to clean out the office room closet and make it neater.  On thing at a time though.  I think I moved over 1000 books these two days. I am not tripping over books and boxes anymore! 

I find I need things to be organized around me or I go slightly nutso.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 09:28:13 AM »

Well, I was going to begin using my Embroidery Machine today.  I bought it in 2006, then lost vision, moved it with me, back and forth and today was THE day. Ha ha..God does have a sense of humor.  I went to set it up, read the instructions, plugged the cord into the machine and it went innnnn.  Someone must have dropped the machine and something inside broke...$2000 machine, never used and now needs repair...I got it to turn on but it kept telling me all kinds of strange stuff. So, next week to repair man...and perhaps back home if I can't afford it.  On the UP side, I had a car accident last week Saturday...a man hit me when he decided to pass me on the wrong side as I was turning into a service station..took out the front end of my car, front axle, knuckle, poss rack and pinion, wheel, tie rod and assorted other things..thank God for sons. Mine came out to get me and the car with a wrecker and they are handling the insurance etc..today, the man's ins wanted to total the car but due to helpful contacts in his business my oldest son said no, is getting it repaired and like new by next week hopefully. Thank God for sons.  I am feeling good this week and I am determined to start working on my crafts this week and moving forward.  I redid all my plants this morning.  I found my portable cd player and found some books on cd at the Library to listen at dialysis, got the house clean, and am now going to rest.  I am determined to have better times.  Just because my kidneys have failed doesn't mean I'm going to die tomorrow.  Besides, anyone, anywhere, can die in an instant, the blink of an eye.   Let's all let each other know what we are doing to "improve" our emotional beings.   There is a church about a block from me and last week they started a chime every hour and at 6pm generally do a series of chime songs.  I love it, am singing along.  Thank you God.

Edited: Moved to proper section: Dialysis: General Discussion - okarol/admin
That is a very inspiring letter, I'm glad I read that. It made my day.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »

Good and thanks Hurlock.  OK Last week was great, this week not so but it will be better...I have my little car back...my sons call it the Silver Bullet..it looks like it came off the showroom floor, so I can zoom again. Major crash BP, migraine, cramps at D yesterday, dizzy today..I'm walking in quicksand so no crafts just now but I'm listeneing to the birds and chimes..picking up my gdtr from her volunteer job at the nursing home at 3:30 and I think going to a mall with her and her mom tonight.  I can always sit and people watch which I enjoy while they shop.  This will all be better soon.  Hope you all have a pleasant, safe, week.

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »

I'll sit and people watch with you G-ma.  I am not a shopper, so I usually just sit and wait, looking at all the lovely people.  I do like a fresh cookie from the cookie shop while I am waiting   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »

Yeah Paris....I'll look for a cookie shop and we can have a coffee.

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »

I like cookies, too. I love to watch people.  They crack me up!  Like the lady who wore sweat socks and high heels to the gym with a pair of shorts.

lifenotonthelist.com

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 02:38:35 PM »

Has anybody ever felt that you may be depressed but you're not sure because you don't know what you are really feeling other than you don't want to be here but don't want to be anywhere else either so you try to put your emotions into words but there are simply no words that fit what you want to say other than stop the world cause I want to get off so you just go on and try to do your daily activities but none of them seem to work and when you hear something you wanted to hear you no longer want to hear it but you wish you'd not even thought about wanting it.  Huh, anybody ever feel like that?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:38:02 PM by dwcrawford » Logged

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 02:41:01 PM »

Has anybody ever felt that you may be depressed but you're not sure because you don't know what you are really feeling other than you don't want to be here but don't want to be anywhere else either so you try to put your emotions into words but there are simply no words that fit what you want to say other than stop the world cause I want to get off so you just go on and try to do your daily activities but not of them seem to work and when you hear something you wanted to hear you no longer want to hear it but you wish you'd not even thought about wanted it.  Huh, anybody ever feel like that?

You hit the nail on the head.  Plus everyone around you thinks you are nuts because you cannot figure out or put it into words what is wrong with you.

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »