I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Clinic Question??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Clinic Question??  (Read 3966 times)
rookiegirl

« on: May 13, 2009, 06:04:43 AM »

I had my kidney transplant on 03/20/09.  My first transplant clinic visit was on Monday, 03/30/09.  I was going twice a week on Mondays/Thursday.  It's been 7 weeks and I was told this past Monday it was my last clinic visit.  They now have released me to my Nephrologist which is scheduled for 07/29/09.  I asked the doctor why I was being released so soon?  She said all my labs look good and my creatinine is stable at 1.7.  She said the Nephrologist will do labs once every 3 months.  My concern is that I still have pain/soreness on my right side especially if I've been up and about for a length of time.  But once I sit down the pain subside.

Is this normal for the clinic to release a transplant patient within 7 weeks?  I'm scared and concern because I will not get another lab work until the end of July when I see my Neph.  I would feel more comfortable if my labs were being done weekly/bi-weekly/monthly just so I know my levels are not out of whack and to give me peace of mind that my new kidney is not failing.

Please let me know your experience with transplant clinic.  How did they wing you?

Thanks,
Rookiegirl

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 06:17:11 AM »

rookiegirl, this does seem unusual to me. Len had to go to transplant folks at least 2 times a month of the first year. He is now seeing local Neph every 3 months. I be asking some questions. Let us know what you find out but I think 7 weeks is too early to release you.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

That sounds way too early RG.  I now do bloods once a week (trx Feb. 23 rd) but more if they don't like something and I go to clinic once a month but would be seen in between if something came up.  I also have a phone mailbox at the transplant clinic and can leave or receive messages any time.  I would agree that labs every 3 months is the most puzzling thing of all.  Try to insist that it be every two weeks at the longest for blood work.  Let us know how it goes. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »

I am 6 months post transplant and I have blood drawn weekly.  I go to clinic biweekly....soon to go to monthly.  I would FREAK if I went that long without blood work.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »

I went to the clinic to have stitches removed (and that's about all the transplant team did for me) and then was released to a neph at the medical center. He saw me a lot through the summer and then once a month and slowly released me to every three months.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »

thats little too long to go w/out labs ! JMO ... i was twice a month for the first 6mo and will do labs once a month for the next 2yrs and its natural to worry about your kidney failing,i still do after its been a yr now! just express your feelings to your DR and hope he will make a change in your lab work so you dont have any more worries...and to ease your mind a little ask neph (or nurse) to send copy of lab results to your home so you  can see them for yourself, which is a big help. ask questions!!  God Bless! Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:53:04 PM »

Here in Aus i had clinic for 3 months , started daily and then tapered off going twice a week, once back home after the 3 months had blood work done twice aweek and now its been 6 months i have weekly once my tac levels start behaving i will have them every second week, i see my neph once a month, i would be freaking out if i had to wait that long i like to know whats going on ;D

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:48:41 AM »

I agree... this is way too early to be released!!!!  I am 11 months post tx and get labs monthly (I was before this little bump in the road).  I still have to go to clinic every 3 months until June, then every 6 months.

I would be very worried about this.... UNLESS you have an excellent neph.  If so, I would talk to your neph to make sure they will get regular labs.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
rookiegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »

I'm calling the transplant clinic this morning to discuss about my visits.  This whole thing is worrying me.  I have been monitoring my blood pressure this week since they took me of the BP meds last week.  My BP is up again and I don't know if my worrying has anything to do with it.  Also, for the last 2 days now, I have a new pain on my side located above the incision.  Never had this before.

Thank you all for sharing your experience with the clinic visits.  I will definitely voice my concern about going 2 1/2 months without lab work.  God knows what my numbers look like now.

Also, my regular Neph has taken a new role and will no longer see patients and I've been assign to another Neph whom I've met several times at the transplant clinic.  This makes me angry too because my original Neph is awesome and I just love him because he actually care.  I hate this.

2004-2nd biopsy
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »

Sounds like they squeezed out as much money from your transplant (pre-testing, surgery and post-testing) as they could, so now they're releasing you.

8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:53:10 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »

Not to scare you, but pain near the incision can be a number of things, like lack of blood flow, a hernia (which is common after abdominal surgery), fluid collecting or an infection - so it is crazy that you aren't being followed more often. I would call the neph you like and make an appointment. How can you be "assigned" a doc?
As far as the labs, I agree with everyone about doing it more often. If your creatinine spiked up and you didn't know for a couple of months that you might be in rejection, the window period for rescuing your kidney may pass! That's ridiculous! We have a standing order to go to our local lab, they take blood and urine (EVERY month, even 2 years later!) and the results are faxed to the neph and the transplant clinic. They review them and fax us a copy. I requested this be done and the transplant team was happy to oblige. Keep fighting RG!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Meinuk

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »

This has been my schedule so far:

TX  11/02/08
7 days in hospital
Clinic 2x a week for 1 month
Clinic 1x a week for 1 month

By February (2 months s/p TX)
Clinic 1x every 2 - 3 weeks

By April
Clinic 1x a month

By May (6 months s/p TX)
Clinic every 6 weeks

Now - keep in mind that (knock wood) so far my blood has been perfect (Creatinine 1.2 everything else normal); my drugs have been tapered, and we have been on top of everything.  I could not imagine my team cutting me loose after 7 weeks (even though I really wished that they would) - clinic visits take FOREVER.

Speak frankly with your transplant coordinator.  Write a letter with your concerns.  Ask for a written protocol.  With pain and a creatinine of 1.7 (and I am wondering what your immuno level is, as well as you suppressant levels) You have every right to be cautious and want to be seen by the professionals that performed the procedure. 

Does this center have a transplant social worker?  Have you spoken to them about this?  It is anxiety inducing, and anxiety is not good for you. 

You will always be the best advocate for your health.  You are the center of your healthcare team - if they aren't including you or informing you, then they aren't doing their jobs properly.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »

My husband went to the clinic (1.5 hours from our house) once a week for 2 weeks after he was released following the transplant.  Then he began going to his local nephrologist.  His visits for bloodwork were once a week until the 3 month mark.  Then the bloodwork was done once every two weeks until the 6 month mark.  From 6 months on it's been once a month.  He sees the nephrologist less frequently (once a month early on, less frequently now).  The nephrologist's office faxes the results to the transplant clinic right away, they also call Stephen with the results and send him a hard copy in the mail.  Getting those numbers promptly is a very reassuring thing. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
MiSSis

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »

It's much too soon for release and too much time in between bloodwork as others have also said.  I was 15 years post-transplant and still had bloodwork every 6 months (sometimes more frequently if something appeared amiss) and would go to transplant clinic yearly.  And as far as I know that would not have changed no matter how far out I was from my transplant had it not failed following a surgery I had 5 1/2 yrs. ago.  Let your docs know how uncomfortable you feel about this new schedule.  What's a little bloodtest to them?  And it a whole lot of peace of mind to you to have it drawn more frequently.  Good luck with this!

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
rookiegirl

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 05:25:04 PM »

Sorry I'm late to give an update on my Transplant Clinic issue.

I did call the clinic 2 weeks ago to find out I still need weekly labs and biweekly clinic visits.  I was so frustrated because this is not what the transplant Neph told me.  They claim it was a miscommunication, DAH!!!  Anyway, the weekly labs are now being done locally to a nearby lab which is only 5 minutes down the road.  This is so great because my transplant clinic is an hour away.

Today, I had my biweekly clinic and my creatinine is down from 1.5 to 1.4.  From the looks of things, I'm doing really good.  I pray this will continue as the days goes by.

2004-2nd biopsy
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:59:44 PM »

:clap;    Great news, Rookiegirl!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 07:46:51 PM »

:2thumbsup;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »

:thumbup; Glad you followed up RG!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 09:50:20 AM »

Thank goodness you knew enough to question the clinic.  Think how many patients would just have gone along with the original schedule!  Scary!   We all feel better knowing you are getting your labs weekly.  It does sound like you are doing good.  Yea!  :yahoo;  We'll be praying right along with you for things to continue to keep doing so well.   :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »